• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospects to Watch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also Henderson Alvarez is coming back. Seems he may be a descent pick up if he can pitch like he did in the minors in the big leagues.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he has not been mentioned here before, I think his performance today (still ongoing) warrants a mention.

In his first MLB start, and through 5 innings, young Danny Salazar of the Indians is no hitting the Jays, with 1 walk and 7 K's.

In the middle of typing this, he gives up a hit to start the 6th.

Jynx?

Is the guy the real deal?

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJ surgery in 2011 had him off and on my radar over the years.
I think today might have been first game over 5ip this year.
He's got stuff for sure. Plus fastball, plus change. Looks like he's got a decent slider maybe.
I have a huge bias against all things Cleveland, especially arms...but I'd say he's worth a gamble.
I'm more excited about C.Martinez 's recent call back up...but certainly hard to argue with what we saw today. I wouldn't think there'd be much reason for him to be unowned in any league. Maybe colon's second-half replacement ;)

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Sonny Gray!!! Wow...nice start too!! He's got great stuff. Needs a role :s

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJ surgery in 2011 had him off and on my radar over the years.
I think today might have been first game over 5ip this year.
He's got stuff for sure. Plus fastball, plus change. Looks like he's got a decent slider maybe.
I have a huge bias against all things Cleveland, especially arms...but I'd say he's worth a gamble.
I'm more excited about C.Martinez 's recent call back up...but certainly hard to argue with what we saw today. I wouldn't think there'd be much reason for him to be unowned in any league. Maybe colon's second-half replacement ;)

Thanks man. I knew I could count on you for some good feedback on this.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from fangraphs today

Five Prospects To Avoid | FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball

And thoughts on this philabuster?
I wouldn't count Alfaro out just yet. His tool set is INSANE. Sure, awful lack of discipline right now, but he's 20, playing in A ball with just awesome power potential.

He's rostered in both my dynasties. One with 192 minors, the other 156. He wouldn't last on the waiver wire.
Risky ...FOR SURE. But he has probably the best arm of any catcher in the minors right now and a crazy upside. Odds are he fails because of his discipline, but if he doesn't, he's a monster.

I like Nathaniel Stoltz. He's one of my favourite minors guys, so he's likely more right than me on Alfaro. I just see crazy tools.

I completely agree with Heredia and Purke. If you own them, might be time to try to move them if they still hold value to anyone in your league. Perfect examples of TINSTAPP. Both were likely incredibly sought after guys a couple years back.
The last two were completely off my radar, but a quick search of them confirms my ignorance lol. They can stay off my radar :)

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julio Urias (16yrs old) added to cbs database today fyi.
Should be owned in any league with 50 total minors slots. (I'd say even less, but the fact he's a few / a couple?? years away knocks him down. Dominating MWL as a 16 year old!!!
Dodgers sure turned things around, didn't they!!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From all of the reading I have done today, I guess there is another kid to keep an eye on now. Phillies 3B prospect Cody Asche.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay Philabuster, I've got a good one for you...

if you could have 4 keepers that ARE NOT in the majors yet, who would they be?

-- don't rush yourself, but I would like a final answer in mid-August --

My league is 18 team, keep 6, no mi/ci, but we have LF, CF, RF, along with Util. It is 10x10, H2H and my guys are getting old. Lots of options on waivers, as the league prefers keeping the "now players". I'll let you know if any you are thinking of are owned, but I doubt they will be by any (other than me).

I asked for 4, because I'm hoping to get a keeper for CC and Brandon Phillips, and do have a keeper worthy player in Carlos Gomez (if that makes a difference for you, since he is a CF).

Have fun!

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok TKO, i'll work on it.
A couple of the big boys likely will get a callup this year, but i'll make you a list and just include them but have at least 4 sure guys who won't.
Thanks

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might as well work on this here :)

1. Bogaerts SS (maybe 3B down the road) - likely comes up this year though .... he's 20...iso'd .200 in AAA as a SS. Complete stud.
2. Sano 3B (he's doing alright at 3B, might stick or move to 1B) - just turned 20. Slugging .600 for the year. Only in AA. Twins don't rush guys, might be useless next year...but might be a 40hr guy down the road.

3. Taveras cf (maybe rf down the road) - crazy bat. Could win batting titles while hitting 25-30 hrs. Slowed by injuries this year, but nothing that reeks of a pattern. I'd probably rank his bat #1, but vs the SS and the 3B above him, I think the position moves him here for fantasy. He'll play most of '14 in bigs I believe.
4. Lindor (ss): Another amazing prospect. 19 promoted to AA. Not sure he sees show at all in 2014 though, although Asrubal is signed only through next year. which could lead to him being dealt if next year's deadline is more exciting than this one's. I would still take him over any arm in the minors even knowing he might not play for a year. He's also elite defensively so he won't move off SS
5. Buxton CF- ranked #1 by a lot of people (Sickels, BP, BA) but I'd leave him for now. He's just 19, at least 2 years away. If your league isn't grabbing prospects, I'd try to get 4 closer to show. He's the hot prospect in the game right now, but his transition to high A is going slowly imo. Tools are insane and you'll want him probably eventually. He'll likely be my number one guy in a year. Maybe I'm just slower than the experts :)
My next two favourites are SS's too: Correa and Russell. They're only 18 and 19 and in A ball, so like Buxton, they're a ways away. Not practical likely with just 6 keepers.

I'm crashing now so I'll continue this later.
Next favourites are likely (in no particular order yet) Bradley SP, Baez SS, Polanco (CF...but McCutchen might have something to say there), Walker SP, Syndergaard SP, Mondesi SS (but just 17 so ignore), Springer (CF...might be most relevant time-wise)

I'm sure I'm missing some, but my top 7 are there. The 3 I mentioned, I wouldn't consider keeping as one of 6 keepers no matter the rebuild. Industry would say Buxton yes! so I could be misjudging his time to the big leagues...I'd just hate for you to keep minors this year and then next year when you pick keepers, have those guys still be in the minors for sure. I'd want at least a chance at having them produce some for you next year. Sounds like you'll always have minors available, so better not to waste a spot on say Mondesi (or Urias SP LAD) when they'll likely be still available for you to draft in 2015 :)
Anyway, not sure I should have just brainstormed here, but what the heck lol. I'll continue when I have another free hour. Fun exercise.
There'll be some international guys too. This Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez guy in Philly. Haven't read anything too glowing there, but major-league ready is always nice. Same with Alexander Guerrero SS (or 2B as rumoured he'd be with LAD....signing has been denied at this point, but major league ready 2B would be huge fantasy value)
I better shut up and go to bed. Up in 5.5 hours :)

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the beginning of a new era for shortstops?
Four publications -- Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus (subscription required), Keith Law at ESPN (subscription required), and FanGraphs (compiled by yours truly) -- recently released their midseason Top 50 prospects lists. The rankings featured as many as eight elite shortstop prospects. That position is widely considered to be the most important (non-pitcher) spot on the baseball field and those potential star athletes are highly-sought-after commodities on the open market, through trades and via the draft.
Of those eight prospects featured on the four lists, five of the players are found in American League organizations, suggesting we may be soon entering another Era of the Shortstop, similar to what we experienced in the early 2000s with the likes of Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Nomar Garciaparra, and Miguel Tejada in the AL.
Let's have a closer look at those eight shortstop prospects...
1. Xander Bogaerts, Red Sox: Bogaerts was the highest ranked shortstop on all four lists. Boston is clearly planning for the day that the Aruba native is ready to contribute at the big league level as they recently had him playing games at the hot corner -- an area of weakness for the playoff hungry club. However, the recent trade of Jose Iglesias, as well as the pending free agency of veteran Stephen Drew, should provide a clear path to the Major League shortstop job for Bogaerts, who has more than held his own at the Triple-A level.
2. Francisco Lindor, Indians: Just 19, Cleveland's top shortstop prospect earned a mid-season promotion from High-A to Double-A after a strong showing both in the field and at the plate. Veteran incumbent Asdrubal Cabrera's uninspired 2013 season could help convince the front office that his time with the organization is coming to an end. Lindor, who is only in his third professional season, could be ready for the Majors by the middle of 2014. He could develop into a perennial Gold Glove winner at shortstop.
3. Carlos Correa, Astros: The first overall pick in the 2012 amateur draft, Correa has produced above-average offensive numbers in Low-A ball despite being just 18 years of age. The Puerto Rico native has shown a natural hitting ability, but he has yet to tap into his raw power. There are concerns that he'll eventually outgrow shortstop, but he should have the offensive chops to be an above-average player at just about any position on the field.
4. Javier Baez, Cubs: Baez has arguably the best raw power out of any player on this list, and he already has 27 home runs in 98 games this year. Like Lindor (a fellow 2011 first-round draft pick), he's already reached Double-A. Unlike the Indians prospect, though, his offensive game is raw. He has a very aggressive approach at the plate, which has resulted in just 29 walks with 111 strikeouts in 391 at-bats. As is the case with Correa, there has been some talk of moving Baez to third base. However, with fellow prospect Mike Olt (recently acquired from the Rangers) -- a plus defender at the hot corner -- that move doesn't make a ton of sense now. He could also move out to right field, but the Cubs organization features a lot of depth in that area. If and when everything clicks for Baez, though, Chicago will certainly find a spot for him.
5. Addison Russell, Athletics: Russell, a 2012 first-rounder, burst onto the prospect landscape in a big way last season. His strong play earned him an aggressive assignment to High-A ball to open the 2013 season despite being just 19 years old. He struggled in the first two months of the season but has posted an OPS near 1.000 during the past two months. Russell probably won't be ready until 2015, so current big league shortstop Jed Lowrie likely has one more season of job security before he finds himself at another position or on another club.
6. Alen Hanson, Pirates: The emergence of Jordy Mercer has added some middle infield stability at the big league level for the Pirates but he's not likely to be the long-term answer at shortstop. Hanson, 20, is the best in-house option to eventually take over the position -- although his name has popped up more than a few times in recent trade rumors. After a strong showing in High-A ball, the Dominican native was recently promoted to Double-A. The switch-hitter has shown the ability to steal 20-30 bases with solid line-drive pop.
7. Raul Mondesi, Royals: Previously known as Adalberto Mondesi, this shortstop prospect is one of the youngest players in full-season ball, having just recently turned 18. His inexperience has shown in 2013, and he walked just four times in May and June. His raw ability is undeniable, though, and he's made adjustments with a strong month of July -- including 13 walks and his highest monthly OPS of the year at .817.
8. Corey Seager, Dodgers: Seager -- whose brother Kyle Seager plays for the Mariners -- is perhaps the most underrated shortstop on this list. The teenager has enjoyed his time in the Midwest League, and he's been on fire over the summer months with an OPS approaching 1.000. He's also slugged eight of his 11 home runs in June and July. Like Correa, Seager is expected to outgrow shortstop but he's shown enough skill at the position to suggest he may be able to stick there for a few more years. He's likely at least two seasons away from reaching Los Angeles.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next favourites are likely (in no particular order yet) Bradley SP, Baez SS, Polanco (CF...but McCutchen might have something to say there), Walker SP, Syndergaard SP, Mondesi SS (but just 17 so ignore), Springer (CF...might be most relevant time-wise)

8. Archie Bradley. I think there's ace potential there, but I don't think he's up as early as most are calling for. Control is still an issue (7bbs in a game this week) and Arizona screws around with their pitching prospects imho. I would generally rank him even lower because I'm a TINSTAAPP guy but he's good. Tough ballpark for him too. I'd guess 2015.
9. Javier Baez: Geez this guy is nuts. As far as upside, his might be top 3 imo, but he's got approach issues. He's young enough that they're not concerning YET, ( :p keith law), but it's something to consider. He's 20 and AA isn't slowing him down. Could be a 30hr MI guy. Likely not up in 2014
10. Gregory Polanco... I originally had Walker and Syndergaard here, but I believe Polanco can contribute next year (heck, I think he could help this year) Premium defense....upside of 20hr, 40sb would be my guess. Sweet swing, put on massive show at futures game BP....some high end potential that is close to the show
I forgot about Mondesi>>> he's a personal favourite of mine, but he's 3 years away likely.
11/12 Syndergaard and Walker. Both have ace potential. Both could contribute in 2014.
13. George Springer. Not a huge fan because of his Ks. OUCH! but he's almost in Houston now, and there is power/speed combo that is hard to ignore. Players like these make me nervous because they're more likely to crash, but I've got a personal bias there, and I haven't studied it enough to be an expert. I posted a cool link to someone who did a study on it earlier. I'll try to find it again.

Next guys are likely (in no particular order)
R.Stephenson (could be best arm in minors a year from now), Urias (maybe the best LHP already in the minors and he's......16!), Appel (because of proximity), Taillon, Bundy, Gray, Gioloto!!, Seager, Frazier, Almora, Castellanos, Singleton (close)...... I shouldn't forget Billy Hamilton. Bat is a question mark, but he'd be worth gambling on as he's close to the bigs and there's no question about his crazy game-changing speed. In your position, I'd rank him maybe after Springer. Sure I'm missing some too.

Gets much trickier ranking at this point. Easier to just group haha. My rankings will probably change by next week, but the groupings remain close.

Anyway, hope it helps...let us know what you decide. It's a bold strategy with just 6 keepers.
In one league I joined in 2012 I took over the worst team ever. For 2013 with 12 keepers and 4 minors spots, I kept 9 minors (just 7 regulars) and then drafted 3 more. But....it's slowly paying off. Very little player movement in the league, but I've got Myers, Rendon, Arenado, Yelich already now active. Once Bogaerts and hopefully Taveras come up, I will be competitive. It's a horribly slow process though and I wish you the best of luck!!

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Phila, and everyone. I have Sano, Bogaerts and Springer now. Need an arm, so I might turn to Bradley... trying to get Jose Fernandez though at the moment (well, back and forth offers during his last two starts doesn't help!!!!)

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Phila, and everyone. I have Sano, Bogaerts and Springer now. Need an arm, so I might turn to Bradley... trying to get Jose Fernandez though at the moment (well, back and forth offers during his last two starts doesn't help!!!!)

Try to sell him on the fact that Fernandez is gonna get shut down at 150 innings.
He might budge if he's a playoff team.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try to sell him on the fact that Fernandez is gonna get shut down at 150 innings.
He might budge if he's a playoff team.

That's how we started... but he's having fun in the mean time and CC isn't installing any "down the stretch" help the way he's pitching.