• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Positional rankings in the AFC West

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little bored today so thought I would rank within our division every positional group...

Offense:

QB--1) San Diego, 2) Oakland/LV, 3) Kansas City, 4) Broncos

I'm still putting Rivers ahead of Carr. In big part because of the longevity of just how long he has been good compared to Carr.

HB--1) San Diego 2) Denver 3) Oakland 4) Kansas City

San Diego to me has the most proven RB. The Broncos and Raiders tough to tell what say Charles or Lynch can bring to the table so then going to the depth of the position and Anderson is the best proven RB of that group. Overall though the AFC West is definitely lacking in proven RB talent.

WR 1) Denver 2) Oakland 3) Kansas City 4) San Diego (yes I realize I keep calling them San Diego but just haven't adjusted yet to them being LA

Denver and Oakland are definitely the class of the division. KC has some decent guys. San Diego could make the biggest jump just depending on health and growth of the young guys.

TE 1) Kansas City 2) San Diego 3) Oakland 4) Denver

I actually think Kelce has passed Gronk as the best TE in football mostly because he can stay on the field for the entire year. San Diego has an up and comer in Henry and still a functional Antonio Gates. Oakland did add Jared Cook but I'm just not a huge believer in his game.

OL 1) Oakland 2) Kansas City 3) Denver 4) San Diego

Oakland is the easy choice for tops in the division. Kansas City isn't too bad in this area just not the star power of the Raiders. Denver and San Diego it all depends on how the new pieces can work together early on.

Defense:

DL 1) San Diego 2) Kansas City 3) Oakland 4) Denver

San Diego has some aging players in this unit but still some major talent especially if you include Joey Bosa with this group. Kansas City adding Bennie Logan is a nice piece for sure. Oakland they have Mack and not much else for this group. Denver well beyond Wolfe we don't have much that is proven by this group. Need guys to rise up to really make this unit formidable.

LB 1) Denver 2) Kansas City 3) San Diego 4) Oakland

Denver runs away with this one with 3 Pro Bowl/All-Pro talented players in this unit and some great depth. Kansas City depends a bit on the health and return of Johnson but still good edge rushers. San Diego could really jump up this year with Perryman and Brown manning the middle looking like a good young pair. And Oakland this might be the weakest unit on their team once again this year.

CB 1) Denver 2) San Diego 3) Kansas City 4) Oakland

Denver is the run away here for sure. San Diego again comes down to how healthy they can be as a unit. Verrett can be a huge playmaker but just can't stay healthy and Hayward is a nice counter to him. Kansas City needs to figure out who is the true #2 but Peters is definitely a top-10 Corner. Oakland isn't bad but this is a good Corner group. A lot depends on the growth of Smith in their system and how the new rookie Conley can do.

Safety 1) Kansas City 2) Denver 3) Oakland 4) San Diego

Kansas City has a nice pairing to man the back of the defense. Denver isn't far behind but neither Ward or Stewart are on the level of Berry. Oakland some depends on the growth of their 2nd year guy in Joseph.

Special Teams

1) Kansas City 2) Oakland 3) Denver 4) San Diego

Kansas City might have the best punter and returner in the game. They have a decent kicker on top of that. Oakland has a nice pairing with King and Janikowski. Denver has a pretty young unit but both Dixon and McManus have shown well in big moments and they could have just added some dynamic returners in the draft.

Well any you guys disagree with?

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LAC has the most " proven " Rb ? I think the word you were looking for was maybe " potential " rb. Gordon is only going into 3rd season including horrible rookie campaign. Think that must've been type O. Certainly Gordon/Proven isn't applicable here. I would prob list Denver 3rd in almost every category and 4 in some except DB's and edge rushers and feel confident about it. MO of course

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you CD. Kelce is the best TE due to his ability to stay healthy. He is a hot head though and can sometimes take himself out of games. When he's on he's close to unstoppable.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little bored today so thought I would rank within our division every positional group...

Offense:

QB--1) San Diego, 2) Oakland/LV, 3) Kansas City, 4) Broncos

I'm still putting Rivers ahead of Carr. In big part because of the longevity of just how long he has been good compared to Carr.

HB--1) San Diego 2) Denver 3) Oakland 4) Kansas City

San Diego to me has the most proven RB. The Broncos and Raiders tough to tell what say Charles or Lynch can bring to the table so then going to the depth of the position and Anderson is the best proven RB of that group. Overall though the AFC West is definitely lacking in proven RB talent.

WR 1) Denver 2) Oakland 3) Kansas City 4) San Diego (yes I realize I keep calling them San Diego but just haven't adjusted yet to them being LA

Denver and Oakland are definitely the class of the division. KC has some decent guys. San Diego could make the biggest jump just depending on health and growth of the young guys.

TE 1) Kansas City 2) San Diego 3) Oakland 4) Denver

I actually think Kelce has passed Gronk as the best TE in football mostly because he can stay on the field for the entire year. San Diego has an up and comer in Henry and still a functional Antonio Gates. Oakland did add Jared Cook but I'm just not a huge believer in his game.

OL 1) Oakland 2) Kansas City 3) Denver 4) San Diego

Oakland is the easy choice for tops in the division. Kansas City isn't too bad in this area just not the star power of the Raiders. Denver and San Diego it all depends on how the new pieces can work together early on.

Defense:

DL 1) San Diego 2) Kansas City 3) Oakland 4) Denver

San Diego has some aging players in this unit but still some major talent especially if you include Joey Bosa with this group. Kansas City adding Bennie Logan is a nice piece for sure. Oakland they have Mack and not much else for this group. Denver well beyond Wolfe we don't have much that is proven by this group. Need guys to rise up to really make this unit formidable.

LB 1) Denver 2) Kansas City 3) San Diego 4) Oakland

Denver runs away with this one with 3 Pro Bowl/All-Pro talented players in this unit and some great depth. Kansas City depends a bit on the health and return of Johnson but still good edge rushers. San Diego could really jump up this year with Perryman and Brown manning the middle looking like a good young pair. And Oakland this might be the weakest unit on their team once again this year.

CB 1) Denver 2) San Diego 3) Kansas City 4) Oakland

Denver is the run away here for sure. San Diego again comes down to how healthy they can be as a unit. Verrett can be a huge playmaker but just can't stay healthy and Hayward is a nice counter to him. Kansas City needs to figure out who is the true #2 but Peters is definitely a top-10 Corner. Oakland isn't bad but this is a good Corner group. A lot depends on the growth of Smith in their system and how the new rookie Conley can do.

Safety 1) Kansas City 2) Denver 3) Oakland 4) San Diego

Kansas City has a nice pairing to man the back of the defense. Denver isn't far behind but neither Ward or Stewart are on the level of Berry. Oakland some depends on the growth of their 2nd year guy in Joseph.

Special Teams

1) Kansas City 2) Oakland 3) Denver 4) San Diego

Kansas City might have the best punter and returner in the game. They have a decent kicker on top of that. Oakland has a nice pairing with King and Janikowski. Denver has a pretty young unit but both Dixon and McManus have shown well in big moments and they could have just added some dynamic returners in the draft.

Well any you guys disagree with?

This should be an article :) haha

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go

QB: LA, OAK, KC, DEN
RB: LA, OAK, DEN, KC
WR: DEN, OAK, LA, KC
TE: KC, LA, OAK, DEN
OL: OAK, KC, LA, DEN
IDL: LA, KC, OAK, DEN
EDGE: (Jesus this one is hard they are all awesome...) DEN, KC, LA, OAK (this is very flexible... really depends on if Houston is healthy or not)
Off Ball LB: DEN, KC, OAK, LA (again, health of a chief changes this... derrick johnson)
CB: DEN, LA, KC, OAK
S: KC, DEN, OAK, LA
ST: KC, DEN, OAK, LA

Gonna be a lit division

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melvin Gordon? Eh....

Spencer Ware has better Yards per carry and better Yards per catch. If Gordon was any good then youd figure that the Chargers would've closed games out better last year. Maybe that's all on the oline but I can't say I'm impressed.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LAC has the most " proven " Rb ? I think the word you were looking for was maybe " potential " rb. Gordon is only going into 3rd season including horrible rookie campaign. Think that must've been type O. Certainly Gordon/Proven isn't applicable here. I would prob list Denver 3rd in almost every category and 4 in some except DB's and edge rushers and feel confident about it. MO of course

I guess please explain to me then who is more proven than Gordon at this point in the AFC West? The Raiders have Lynch who just sat out a year and the year before that spent a good chunk of it injured. Throw in his age and workload and the odds of him being great are not in his favor. For the Broncos we have Anderson and Charles as our top-2 guys. Both spent a good chunk of last season on the IR and no clue how they will return. For the Chiefs I guess you could say Spencer Ware is just as proven as he had a pretty similar season at least in yards to that of Gordon but I give Gordon the nod because of his ability to score touchdowns. Yes it was only for one year but the RB position in the AFC West is just not that good.

So you think the Broncos have the 3rd or 4th best WR core in the AFC West? And Special Teams units have you looked around the AFC West to see what each unit has? Other than the Chiefs I wouldn't say there is anything real special.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melvin Gordon? Eh....

Spencer Ware has better Yards per carry and better Yards per catch. If Gordon was any good then youd figure that the Chargers would've closed games out better last year. Maybe that's all on the oline but I can't say I'm impressed.

I would say the issue wasn't running the ball last year it was more untimely turnovers for the Chargers. How many games were they just working to run out the clock to fumble the game away?

And honestly the RB group I could see an argument for all 4 teams being at the top of the order. It just isn't a very good unit all around.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the issue wasn't running the ball last year it was more untimely turnovers for the Chargers. How many games were they just working to run out the clock to fumble the game away?

And honestly the RB group I could see an argument for all 4 teams being at the top of the order. It just isn't a very good unit all around.
Yep. The problem with Ware over Gordon for me is he looks fantastic running the ball for about 8 games or so and is either injured and/or ineffective going forward which limits his value; or at least that has been the case thus far in his career. West just isn't moving the needle as a runner but is a solid passcatcher. Spreading out Ware's carries with Kareem Hunt I am hoping remedies the problem somewhat but the OL shares some blame when it comes to runblocking.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The problem with Ware over Gordon for me is he looks fantastic running the ball for about 8 games or so and is either injured and/or ineffective going forward which limits his value; or at least that has been the case thus far in his career. West just isn't moving the needle as a runner but is a solid passcatcher. Spreading out Ware's carries with Kareem Hunt I am hoping remedies the problem somewhat but the OL shares some blame when it comes to runblocking.

Good point. Gordon is a solid pass catcher as well though as he did have over 400 yards receiving just like Ware this past season. I guess I just like the potential of Gordon over that of Ware who is a solid RB I'm just not sure I see him improving a whole lot. I actually am a huge Kareem Hunt fan and hated seeing you guys take him. I think he will be the starter by the end of the season for the Chiefs.

Like I said the RB group for the AFC West might be the worst in football collectively. Some solid players, some past stars, and some promising young players.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Gordon is a solid pass catcher as well though as he did have over 400 yards receiving just like Ware this past season. I guess I just like the potential of Gordon over that of Ware who is a solid RB I'm just not sure I see him improving a whole lot. I actually am a huge Kareem Hunt fan and hated seeing you guys take him. I think he will be the starter by the end of the season for the Chiefs.

Like I said the RB group for the AFC West might be the worst in football collectively. Some solid players, some past stars, and some promising young players.
I maybe understand the idea of Gordon being a projection. There is some potential there with the Chargers going heavy on interior olinemen.

Its all projection, though. There isnt anything based on what he has actually done to suggest that he is the best in the West.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I maybe understand the idea of Gordon being a projection. There is some potential there with the Chargers going heavy on interior olinemen.

Its all projection, though. There isnt anything based on what he has actually done to suggest that he is the best in the West.

I could make an argument that of the RB's in the West this past year that are still here he was the best. I mean his touchdowns alone are far and above any other player in the AFC West at the RB position. And scoring points is usually the goal of the offense. When you throw in he did it with probably the worst OL in the AFC West leading the way I at least think he deserves some credit for what he has shown.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could make an argument that of the RB's in the West this past year that are still here he was the best. I mean his touchdowns alone are far and above any other player in the AFC West at the RB position. And scoring points is usually the goal of the offense. When you throw in he did it with probably the worst OL in the AFC West leading the way I at least think he deserves some credit for what he has shown.
Id have to go back and look at each TD but its hard to give the RB credit while throwing the oline under the bus. There aren't too many occasions where one can exist without the other.

The various footballoutsiders rankings for Gordon: 31st, 19th, 30th, 26th. He also has that awful rookie season and he doesn't pass the eyeball test. He is definitely someone I would avoid in fantasy football

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id have to go back and look at each TD but its hard to give the RB credit while throwing the oline under the bus. There aren't too many occasions where one can exist without the other.

The various footballoutsiders rankings for Gordon: 31st, 19th, 30th, 26th. He also has that awful rookie season and he doesn't pass the eyeball test. He is definitely someone I would avoid in fantasy football

Yeah I don't plan on taking him any time soon in fantasy football. I could say the same of any RB in the AFC West though. Can't trust any of them. By far when going through this the worst positional group in the entire AFC West and that is with 3 OL's that are questionable.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess please explain to me then who is more proven than Gordon at this point in the AFC West? The Raiders have Lynch who just sat out a year and the year before that spent a good chunk of it injured. Throw in his age and workload and the odds of him being great are not in his favor. For the Broncos we have Anderson and Charles as our top-2 guys. Both spent a good chunk of last season on the IR and no clue how they will return. For the Chiefs I guess you could say Spencer Ware is just as proven as he had a pretty similar season at least in yards to that of Gordon but I give Gordon the nod because of his ability to score touchdowns. Yes it was only for one year but the RB position in the AFC West is just not that good.

So you think the Broncos have the 3rd or 4th best WR core in the AFC West? And Special Teams units have you looked around the AFC West to see what each unit has? Other than the Chiefs I wouldn't say there is anything real special.
I gave you a break on your word choice and you didn't take it. Not going to hit dictionary but I think " proven " means " sustained excellence over a period of time ". Gordon nor any rb currently in AFC West fits that term. When I said you prob meant best " potential " rb, you prob meant Gordon, you should of flowed with it :). As far as Wrs go, we are talking about heading into this season,right ? I would rank them 3rd now because we don't know if the O line,run game and Qb play is going to be what we hope it will be yet and if not, it will be repeat of last year or worse. So yeah, 3rd in div seems fair to me. Potential,yes. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave you a break on your word choice and you didn't take it. Not going to hit dictionary but I think " proven " means " sustained excellence over a period of time ". Gordon nor any rb currently in AFC West fits that term. When I said you prob meant best " potential " rb, you prob meant Gordon, you should of flowed with it :). As far as Wrs go, we are talking about heading into this season,right ? I would rank them 3rd now because we don't know if the O line,run game and Qb play is going to be what we hope it will be yet and if not, it will be repeat of last year or worse. So yeah, 3rd in div seems fair to me. Potential,yes. :)

Well a couple of things...

1) I gave you a chance to actually read what I wrote but well that didn't happen. You seem to missing the word "most" when I talk about proven. "most proven" doesn't suggest that he is full out a proven player. Just means compared to the others he is being compared to he is at the top of the list. Do you see the difference?

2) I do not evaluate positions based on other positions. Yes WR is a very QB, Running Game, and O-Line blocking dependent position but this is just me breaking down the units I think are most talented. I would put the combo of DT and Sanders against most other combos in the league as 2 of the more talented WR's. Throw in I am very high on Carlos Henderson becoming a very good player in this league. So yes I rank the Broncos as having the most talented WR group in the AFC West. Doesn't mean statistically they will end up the best when you account for yards and touchdowns but I believe that would be because of the talent around them not because of them.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a couple of things...

1) I gave you a chance to actually read what I wrote but well that didn't happen. You seem to missing the word "most" when I talk about proven. "most proven" doesn't suggest that he is full out a proven player. Just means compared to the others he is being compared to he is at the top of the list. Do you see the difference?

2) I do not evaluate positions based on other positions. Yes WR is a very QB, Running Game, and O-Line blocking dependent position but this is just me breaking down the units I think are most talented. I would put the combo of DT and Sanders against most other combos in the league as 2 of the more talented WR's. Throw in I am very high on Carlos Henderson becoming a very good player in this league. So yes I rank the Broncos as having the most talented WR group in the AFC West. Doesn't mean statistically they will end up the best when you account for yards and touchdowns but I believe that would be because of the talent around them not because of them.
Oh gosh ! My bad ! " Most Proven ". That changes everything ! Stupid me would of said " Chargers backfield with Gordon looks to have the best potential this season but until proven, I would have to say a healthy Lynch and that big Ol line in Oakland looks to be a serious running threat. I guess we'll find out who is " most proven ", when they actually prove it this year. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh gosh ! My bad ! " Most Proven ". That changes everything ! Stupid me would of said " Chargers backfield with Gordon looks to have the best potential this season but until proven, I would have to say a healthy Lynch and that big Ol line in Oakland looks to be a serious running threat. I guess we'll find out who is " most proven ", when they actually prove it this year. :)

"most proven" is only speaking to the past not the future. The word you are looking for is "potential". The Raiders have the "potential" with the best OL and a guy that in the past has shown to be a star RB that could capture some of that again could be the best. Proven though at this time that last year Lynch rushed for 0 yards. That is not proven production that is a guy who sat around for a year doing nothing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a shocker at the Jeremy Maclin news. I know he struggled with injuries this past year but he had been the most productive Chiefs WR in a very long time.