• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pods instead of Divisions for Scheduling

cooljack

Destroyer of Worlds
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares what anybody else thinks? The SEC and ACC have the last several natties so why would we want to change anything?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pullman is so unique. It may just be my favorite PAC 12 road tailgate. UW campus is amazing and the Stadium/Lake, yoga pants and food are superior.... there’s something about the Palouse.

In my rowdier days we would stay in Walla Walla on the way up on Friday nights and do the bar scene there. We usually had guests to the hotel room and a couple times we ended up staying at some gals place. Good times.

Walla Walla women have some sweet onions, alright.
My sister went to Wazzu and I doubt if a day went by that she didn't get tanked. She'd call me at 3:00am and I'd ask her how she managed to find a bar open that late with all the noise in the background and she'd tell me it was her dorm room. After a few months she got the boot out of the dorms and had to rent an apt. The other sister got a full ride to a college in Oklahoma for basketball and blew that when she tested positive for about three different drugs after a police raid.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sister went to Wazzu and I doubt if a day went by that she didn't get tanked. She'd call me at 3:00am and I'd ask her how she managed to find a bar open that late with all the noise in the background and she'd tell me it was her dorm room. After a few months she got the boot out of the dorms and had to rent an apt. The other sister got a full ride to a college in Oklahoma for basketball and blew that when she tested positive for about three different drugs after a police raid.
Man, I’m sorry. That’s too bad. Has she recovered?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both make six figures and both still drink like a fish.
Liquid management. Good for them. Haha.

I drink maybe once or twice a month now. Bottle of Pinot or a couple of PNW IPAs. Pelican, Elysian Breakside being my faves.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had forgotten Oregon and Sparty have another home and home in a few years. Pretty neat.
Hopefully it will be like last time where both teams were very good with the winner making it to the playoffs.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no standardization in scheduling so we don’t really have a true league or playoff system. It’s the shittiest system in sports. A joke frankly.

G5 also needs to branch out on their own and form their own league. They play in a system that’s rigged against them from the get. They’ll never be afforded the same opportunity nor should they given their competition. It’s just a different class and needs to have something more to play for.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully it will be like last time where both teams were very good with the winner making it to the playoffs.
Hopefully. Those games were quite good. Unlike that mess last Bowl season.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no standardization in scheduling so we don’t really have a true league or playoff system. It’s the shittiest system in sports. A joke frankly.

G5 also needs to branch out on their own and form their own league. They play in a system that’s rigged against them from the get. They’ll never be afforded the same opportunity nor should they given their competition. It’s just a different class and needs to have something more to play for.

Cfb breaking away from the NCAA would be a great start.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about this on reddit yesterday and an Alabama fan said he refused to give up the games against Ole Miss and Ms State. Seriously. They are apparently “rivalry games” for Alabama.

I believe Starkville is closer to Tuscaloosa than Auburn is, so the Bulldogs & Crimson Tide are like backdoor rivals. Even though Alabama has dominated the series, it is one that fans on both sides tend to look forward to every year. Ole Miss is just another team that happens to be in the West that we are obligated to play every year. It's nothing special to most Alabama fans.

However, the one Western Division opponent that I would most hate to lose is LSU.

But, getting back to the original question: pods only work when you have the same number of teams in each pod. The only way to do that with 14 teams is to have two 7-team pods - which we already have under the current divisional set-up. Going to a 9-game schedule would solve the long waits between playing certain opponents, though.

Here's how that would work: You play your six divisional opponents each year + one permanent foe from the other, then in years 1 & 2 you play a two-year home-and-home series with 3 teams from the other division; and in years 3 & 4 you play a two-year home-and-home with the other 3 teams from that division.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m going to miss @4down20 telling us how it’s impossible for the SEC to play conference games the second to last week of the regular season.

A lot of that will be changing next year. Here's what the final four weeks of the season will look like for selected teams next season:
ALABAMA
at LSU
UT-Martin
Texas A&M
Auburn

AUBURN
Arkansas
UMass
LSU
at Alabama

LSU
Alabama
South Carolina
at Auburn
at Texas A&M

GEORGIA
at South Carolina
Tennessee
at Kentucky
Georgia Tech

The SEC office hasn't released final schedules for the 2021 season.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, but that’s where a conference commissioner makes his money. He makes money selling his conference for television contracts, so why isn’t part of his job to sell his conference to sponsors to play games as well. Personally I’d like if they did FCS or G5 games at big NFL or college stadiums but basketball like. Where we would play a 10am game in Seattle, then Oregon State plays at 1 in Seattle, Oregon play at 4 in Seattle then UW plays at 7 or some variations. Then sponsors do the payout instead of universities paying for body bag games. That would work in the Pac 12 but not sure about other conferences.

Bad idea. Doubleheaders would be okay, but not triple- or quadruple-headers. It may be fun to sit back at home or at a bar and watch games all day, but you don't want to be outside in the late Summer heat doing that. Two games would be tops.

Plus, the wear on the field would be awful.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if a team schedules an fcs team, it should only be allowed to be played in September.

Those November fcs games in the sec are embarrassing.

Its November!!

I'd rather not play an FCS opponent the next-to-last game of the regular season, but if you play a rugged schedule it makes more sense to play them in late October or early November when you need a breather from conference play.

What galls me are the schools that play FCS teams in early September because they may not be up to handling a decent FBS opponent then.