• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pods instead of Divisions for Scheduling

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then it should be universal. Should go in the order of FCS, G5, then power 5. My feeling is the Oregon/Auburn matchup in week 1 is actually bad for both squads. It’s never really good football. The first half of all this big matchup games in week one are glorified week 1 in the NFL preseason.

Scheduling would be ten times easier if conference champs got an auto bid. There wouldn’t be any fear of scheduling tough P5 games because you might lose and be out of it week 1. Another I’d like is for conferences to come together and do the NCAA basketball type matchups where they match conference A. Number 1 from one year to conference B. Number 1 and so on and so forth.
And it could be the opposite where why schedule a good team when you get no benefits for it because that portion of the season it’s just the nfl preseason and is completely meaningless?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never seen this before. But unlike it. It makes good sense.

Somehow, some way there should be a rotating way of doing OOC scheduling also to keep old rivalries going like Kansas-Mizzou.

The pod system is better if done correct where the top teams in one pod play the top teams in other pods in that conference. Problem with conference expanding past 10 team is college is football has traditions and rivalries do need to be kept. But while they are kept you skip other matchups in a conference which doesn’t really make it a legit conference.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pod system is better if done correct where the top teams in one pod play the top teams in other pods in that conference. Problem with conference expanding past 10 team is college is football has traditions and rivalries do need to be kept. But while they are kept you skip other matchups in a conference which doesn’t really make it a legit conference.
This article isn’t actually advocating for pods despite what he is calling it. It’s 3 protected, unique rivals for each team and no divisions.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it could be the opposite where why schedule a good team when you get no benefits for it because that portion of the season it’s just the nfl preseason and is completely meaningless?

Good point, but that’s where a conference commissioner makes his money. He makes money selling his conference for television contracts, so why isn’t part of his job to sell his conference to sponsors to play games as well. Personally I’d like if they did FCS or G5 games at big NFL or college stadiums but basketball like. Where we would play a 10am game in Seattle, then Oregon State plays at 1 in Seattle, Oregon play at 4 in Seattle then UW plays at 7 or some variations. Then sponsors do the payout instead of universities paying for body bag games. That would work in the Pac 12 but not sure about other conferences.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article isn’t actually advocating for pods despite what he is calling it. It’s 3 protected, unique rivals for each team and no divisions.

I didn’t read the article, I just remember the whole Pod system being brought up when the Pac 10 almost became the Pac 12. It makes sense because it keeps rivalries but also rewards play on the field when playing the other pods. But the issue with the pod system is crowning a conference champion. You either have to have the conference champ and runner up play too many extra games or you cut the number of games down for the conferences team thus eliminating at least 1 revenue game for the bottom feeders of the conference.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw UCF in there too.
Play 7 games in division, rotate playing 2 teams from other division every four years.
The ACC doesn't play its own conference members as it is. I'd be hesitant to see any conference expand past 14 teams.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, but that’s where a conference commissioner makes his money. He makes money selling his conference for television contracts, so why isn’t part of his job to sell his conference to sponsors to play games as well. Personally I’d like if they did FCS or G5 games at big NFL or college stadiums but basketball like. Where we would play a 10am game in Seattle, then Oregon State plays at 1 in Seattle, Oregon play at 4 in Seattle then UW plays at 7 or some variations. Then sponsors do the payout instead of universities paying for body bag games. That would work in the Pac 12 but not sure about other conferences.
I’m sure there would be money lost because you have people buying one ticket for three games. Plus I pity whoever plays the last game because that field would be wrecked.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sure there would be money lost because you have people buying one ticket for three games. Plus I pity whoever plays the last game because that field would be wrecked.

Good point, wasn’t something I thought of. Well in the So Cal games you could do two at the Rose Bowl and 2 at the Coliseum or whatever the new Rams stadiums will be then Glendale and Phoenix. I’d dispute the money lost though. A. In my scenario a sponsor is paying so no rent for the venue and the schools to play. And B. I think it’d be an all day event where there would be leftovers hanging in there for more football and paying for concessions, parking and such which is split. Probably not feasible but it is something I think could work for an all day event in Seattle with the 4 NW schools. I’m selfish, I don’t care about the rest of you and how it would work.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a fan of Alabama it would drive me crazy. And if I were an Alabama season ticket holder, I would’ve walked away from that commitment long ago.
But you’ll stand in line all day to watch the Arizona schools, Oregon State and Washington State roll into town.

GTFO

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see the ACC & SEC move to a 9 game conference schedule and we can go from there.

Why would the SEC and ACC willingly want to disadvantage half of their conference every year with unbalanced conference schedules? Just because you cocksuckers were stupid enough to do it doesn't mean we should have to as well.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC doesn't play its own conference members as it is. I'd be hesitant to see any conference expand past 14 teams.
14 teams is bad enough if you went to 16 you might as well break into 2 different conferences. The only reason to do it would be to maximize the network deals but your gonna have to go to “pod” system.

I’m ok with pods but 16 teams would suck. I’d rather the SEC go back to its traditional 10 members.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the SEC and ACC willingly want to disadvantage half of their conference every year with unbalanced conference schedules? Just because you cocksuckers were stupid enough to do it doesn't mean we should have to as well.
Why does the ACC call itself a conference when they're too chickenshit to play their own conference members?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you’ll stand in line all day to watch the Arizona schools, Oregon State and Washington State roll into town.

GTFO

Ya a terrible Wazzu team walked into your mobile home park of a stadium and outplayed the NCAA runner up.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does the ACC call itself a conference when they're too chickenshit to play their own conference members?

The ACC plays conference members every year.

Why is Washington too chickenshit to play 10 P5 games?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC plays conference members every year.

Why is Washington too chickenshit to play 10 P5 games?
Get ready for the link to BYU being called a “P5” by stupid conference commissioners.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya a terrible Wazzu team walked into your mobile home park of a stadium and outplayed the NCAA runner up.
Dude we beat you every time we’ve played.

I won’t bring up that we had a home and home scheduled and your program is so hard up that you sold your home game back to us and played both games in Auburn. Kinda embarrassing really.