• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players that would have been HOFers if they could have stayed healthy

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tied for 196th all-time in intentional walks behind all-time greats like Aubrey Huff, B.J. Surhoff, Cesar Geronimo and Ryan Klesko.

**fear**

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get why some folks don't think Rice should be in, but for a period of 12 years he was one of the most feared hitters in the game. He got MVP votes in 8 different years, including winning it in 78 as well as an 8 time all star. His career totals are in fact similar to Evan's, but he played 500 fewer games and had more impact at the plate.

So you use 8 years getting MVP votes and 8x all star as arguments for Rice being in the HOF, but you don't think Vlad is a HOFer when Vlad had 12 years getting MVP votes and 9x being an all star.

Apparently, less is better if they were your childhood hero :nod:

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice was a very good player, I won't argue. The "one of the most feared hitters in the game" is a bit overblown. Even in his MVP season he was 10th in the AL in intentional walks.

And all these years later I still don't get how he was MVP over Guidry that year. Rice's team didn't make the playoffs, and the Yankees finish 10 games out minimum without Guidry's season for the ages.

Yep, still bitter. LOL

Sometimes IBBs are all about who is hitting behind you ... you weren't walking Willie Mays only yo have to deal with Willie McCovey. Barry Bonds had 120 in 1 year, I don't think it would have mattered for him. Rice was a damn good hitter, but he had protection behind him.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t read this whole thing, but J.R. Richard comes to mind, even if he had a long way to go even before his injury.

Chase Utley obviously (though I think he should still get in).

Travis Hafner maybe (he was a really underrated hitter).

Utley should be in anyway IMO. His 5 year run from 2005-09 is among the greatest at 2nd base and I think he was productive enough outside it to warrant induction. The lack of accolades (no Gold Gloves and never finished higher than 7th in the MVP voting) really hurts even though I think he was the best defensive 2nd baseman of my lifetime and he had a good case for MVP some of those years.

Hafner's a good one. Batted .308/.419/.611 (170 OPS+) from 2004-06. His bat fell off after that as he struggled to stay on the field (only had two seasons with 400+ PA after '06).

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rice was a very good player, I won't argue. The "one of the most feared hitters in the game" is a bit overblown. Even in his MVP season he was 10th in the AL in intentional walks.

And all these years later I still don't get how he was MVP over Guidry that year. Rice's team didn't make the playoffs, and the Yankees finish 10 games out minimum without Guidry's season for the ages.
Yep, still bitter. LOL

I can't tell you why Rice wasn't intentionally walked more, but 400+ total bases doesn't happen often and Rice did it once while getting 350 two other times. Jim was a line drive hitter and I'm sure that pitchers were not to thrilled to see him coming up to the plate. I'd also say the Green Monster cost him a bunch of homers over the years because of this.

As for 78, Guidry won the Cy Young (MVP for pitchers) and played every 4 or 5 days. Rice played all 163 (Bucky fucking Dent, yeah, I'm still bitter too :mad2:) and was first in hits, triples, home runs, RBIs, total bases, slugging%, OBP, and a half dozen other stats that I don't put a lot of stock in. His BA was 3rd highest in the league and he had the 2nd most outfield assists.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you use 8 years getting MVP votes and 8x all star as arguments for Rice being in the HOF, but you don't think Vlad is a HOFer when Vlad had 12 years getting MVP votes and 9x being an all star.

Apparently, less is better if they were your childhood hero :nod:

You should pay attention.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Ken was a very fine hitter for a pitcher I'll still take the extra OBP.
True, but Brett beat him in SLG, OPS, and OPS+ for a pitcher.....Ozzie had 28 homers to Brett's 10 so you got him there even though Ozzie had only 9,000 more at bats....

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes IBBs are all about who is hitting behind you ... you weren't walking Willie Mays only yo have to deal with Willie McCovey. Barry Bonds had 120 in 1 year, I don't think it would have mattered for him. Rice was a damn good hitter, but he had protection behind him.

I'm not sure I'd call an aging Carl Yastremski great protection, but I know that the 78 Red Sox line up was stacked with mashers. It was like watching a softball game.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim was a line drive hitter and I'm sure that pitchers were not to thrilled to see him coming up to the plate. I'd also say the Green Monster cost him a bunch of homers over the years because of this.

Get the fuck outta here with that shit....is the monster also the reason he hit a mere .277 with a sub .800 OPS on the road....does that look HOF worthy to you for a corner OF?

If he was as good as you thought he was, then he should've been able to hit at a good pace on the road....but he didn't, right?

What's next, claiming that Jason Varitek could've hit 300 homers if it weren't for Fenway?

Last edited:

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE
As for 78, Guidry won the Cy Young (MVP for pitchers) and played every 4 or 5 days. Rice played all 163 (Bucky fucking Dent, yeah, I'm still bitter too :mad2:) and was first in hits, triples, home runs, RBIs, total bases, slugging%, OBP, and a half dozen other stats that I don't put a lot of stock in. His BA was 3rd highest in the league and he had the 2nd most outfield assists.[/QUOTE]

Ok, now look at 1986. Mattingly vs Clemens.

Mattingly led the league in hits, doubles, slg%, OPS, and total bases, and won a GG to boot.

And lost the MVP to a guy who only played every 4 or 5 days.

You see how a Yankee fan could have a hard time reconciling the MVP vote in those 2 years.

Still bitter! :gaah:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like they always said in the Old Country

Fuck the Red Sox

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 2 MVPs , maybe Donnie Baseball isn't such a long shot HOFer. Just saying...

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuck the Red Sox
Is this a real story? I think it'd be cool if they really said that in the Old Country, but this could be like that “Lost in the Supermarket” Clash song where you think it’s about a guy lost in a supermarket, but then you find out during an acid trip that it’s really a stand against rampant commercialization and capitalism or some other gay shit. It really only made sense with the acid

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuck the Red Sox

Is this a real story? I think it'd be cool if they really said that in the Old Country, but this could be like that “Lost in the Supermarket” Clash song where you think it’s about a guy lost in a supermarket, but then you find out during an acid trip that it’s really a stand against rampant commercialization and capitalism or some other gay shit. It really only made sense with the acid
You FUCK, I knew you were lying! They don’t say that in the Old Country, they say it at Old Country Buffet- and typically only ones located in the 5 boroughs! This is just like London Calling all over again

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You FUCK, I knew you were lying! They don’t say that in the Old Country, they say it at Old Country Buffet- and typically only ones located in the 5 boroughs! This is just like London Calling all over again

LMAO

Thats Awesome!...The Old Country Buffet!