• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Carroll criticizes NCAA on sanctions

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought usc got hit so hard due to lack of cooperation?

No matter, they are pretty much neutered now. Thanks to emmert the days of them swingin their dick around are over. Now its basically a public works project leaching big salaries from cfb for doing shit, and being yes men.

Mike Garret was and ass I can give you that but Pete and ever coach involved cooperated with the NCAA and the NCAA thanks USC for their cooperation . there was nothing the NCAA asked for that they did not give. they even handed over the partially filled out report Reggie filled out on that car. USC did'nt want to do endless interviews about something they had no hand in and really didn't know about , remember the NCAA said they "should have known". If you don;t know something was happening how much can you show or talk about. Ohio State had e mails detailing their coach actually lying to the NCAA so they had something to turn over therfore they "cooperated" and got a slap on the wrist. So your coach actively lying to the NCAA is somehow less on an infraction than your coach not knowing because you have evidence to give to the NCAA. It's total bullshit.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Garret was and ass I can give you that but Pete and ever coach involved cooperated with the NCAA and the NCAA thanks USC for their cooperation . there was nothing the NCAA asked for that they did not give. they even handed over the partially filled out report Reggie filled out on that car. USC did'nt want to do endless interviews about something they had no hand in and really didn't know about , remember the NCAA said they "should have known". If you don;t know something was happening how much can you show or talk about. Ohio State had e mails detailing their coach actually lying to the NCAA so they had something to turn over therfore they "cooperated" and got a slap on the wrist. So your coach actively lying to the NCAA is somehow less on an infraction than your coach not knowing because you have evidence to give to the NCAA. It's total bullshit.

Precisely. The punishment didn't fit the 'crime.'

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. Bush's stepfather was involved with a wannabe agent. He and Lake (the wannabe) were trying to start their own sports representation agency and Bush's stepfather was supposed to deliver Reggie as their first client. That is why the impermissible benefits were provided for the Bush family.

Todd McNair never admitted anything and ii's looking like he's going to win his defamation lawsuit vs. the NCAA.

Where is your link that Bush said he thought Pete Carroll knew? I've never seen anything where Bush has done anything other than deny that anything happened. In fact, Bush never even testified before the NCAA.

Are you trying to confuse haters with facts again? :tsk:

These people have their minds made up and no amount of facts are going to change it. The only funny thing to me is some of your fans were saying the very same stuff about UW when it happened to us and now sing a different tune. Until the NCAA unfairly dumps on your program I'm not sure most fans take the time to actually read what goes on in these cases and simply go off the soundbites spoon fed them by the media whose only interest is generating more headlines for their careers.

Good luck getting any of these people to actually look past their own preconceived notions and look at actual facts. I'll be stunned if you can get one person to see the truth and recant.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sitting in the weeds, biding my time. The last few years have been demoralizing but that light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

So Seven Sark is your savior? Good luck with that.

:suds:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Seven Sark is your savior? Good luck with that.

:suds:

The sanctions will drop off. If Sark isn't the answer, I'm confident the right changes will be made. We will at least not go into the season with our arms tied behind our backs.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly had no idea that we had passionate USC fans on SportsHoopla til now. :shocked:

Sitting in the weeds, biding my time. The last few years have been demoralizing but that light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Hell is about to be unleashed on the Pac again, it was nice to put a tranquilizer dart in the buttocks of that program, but the Lion is beginning to wake up again. Gawd help us all by 2015. Talk about "climate change" in the Pac.

Are you trying to confuse haters with facts again? :tsk:

These people have their minds made up and no amount of facts are going to change it. The only funny thing to me is some of your fans were saying the very same stuff about UW when it happened to us and now sing a different tune. Until the NCAA unfairly dumps on your program I'm not sure most fans take the time to actually read what goes on in these cases and simply go off the soundbites spoon fed them by the media whose only interest is generating more headlines for their careers.

Good luck getting any of these people to actually look past their own preconceived notions and look at actual facts. I'll be stunned if you can get one person to see the truth and recant.

Agreed Whiz, sure hope the USC RB coach gets to make those NCAA sanction files public soon. What the hell did the NCAA know and who told them what in order to cripple such a fine Institution as USC for years.
:noidea: :scratch:

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pete Carroll didn't know what was going on at USC, it was because he didn't want to know.

Remember Joe McKnight and his tricked out SUV?
We Hardly Knew Ye: Joe McKnight, ultimate blue-chip, bids USC adieu - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

IIRC one of the first things USC did after Carroll left was force the players to register their cars. I remember one article which described, during the Carroll era, how the players would drive to practice in fancy cars with booming music systems and the coaches didn't ask any questions about the ownerships of the cars.

It's history now and the sanctions will be over for the 2015 recruiting period.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pete Carroll didn't know what was going on at USC, it was because he didn't want to know.

Remember Joe McKnight and his tricked out SUV?
We Hardly Knew Ye: Joe McKnight, ultimate blue-chip, bids USC adieu - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

IIRC one of the first things USC did after Carroll left was force the players to register their cars. I remember one article which described, during the Carroll era, how the players would drive to practice in fancy cars with booming music systems and the coaches didn't ask any questions about the ownerships of the cars.

It's history now and the sanctions will be over for the 2015 recruiting period.

Joe McKnights "tricked out SUV" belonged to his girlfriend. There was no violation, which is why there was no punishment.

Also, there was never any question re: players driving "fancy cars". The only cars that were ever called into question were Reggie Bush's car which was shown to not be outside his families means and was never proven to be provided by anyone other than his family and Joe McKnight driving an SUV that belonged to his girlfriend.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So fucking what!? There was no proof that Carroll or anyone on his staff knew about it. Coaches can't keep tabs on every single player, in every single moment of their lives. Reggie is the only one who deserved punishment in this situation, but the NCAA not only wrongly penalized the university, but the punishment was extreme, beyond comprehension.

Imagine if FSU were in the same exact position, and tell me the punishment would be fair. You can say it would be but you'd be lying your ass off. It was and still is bullshit.

Oh, they keep tabs on their star players, you can believe that. You have to be extremely naïve to think Carroll did not know this was going on with Bush's family. USC was busted for Lack of Institutional Control. Reggie received improper benefits and broke the rules. I too think USC received a harsher punishment; shouldn't have been that extreme, especially with the way certain SEC teams have gotten away with recently.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, they keep tabs on their star players, you can believe that. You have to be extremely naïve to think Carroll did not know this was going on with Bush's family. USC was busted for Lack of Institutional Control. Reggie received improper benefits and broke the rules. I too think USC received a harsher punishment; shouldn't have been that extreme, especially with the way certain SEC teams have gotten away with recently.

Ah, the "you have to be extremely naïve to believe" support of your argument. It's the lame cousin of the "everybody knows" defense.

As for the LOIC, re-read the thread. It's been explained as to why USC got LOIC.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You must be extremely naive to believe a coach would know if the parents of one of his players on his roster were not being charged rent ay their residence 200 miles away from campus. I guess your coach goes over every check the parents write and make sure the landlord cashes it . I'm sure your coach goes to every players house and asks to see the documents on the house and any car in the driveway (sarcasm ). I'm sure your coach goes over every trip the players parents take and stops them at the airport and doesnt let them go until they show who paid for the tickets.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So keeping tabs to you means 24/7 full awareness of everything they, and their entire family do? :L

Of course they keep tabs and do what they can to be involved in what they are doing, but no coach in the country can follow any player 24/7. They simply can't.

Players know when they are taking these things that they are not allowed to have them, so what makes you think any of them don't do everything they can to hide it from their coach, fellow players, and everyone else to protect themselves?

When you use logic to examine these things you no longer have to use calling others idiots or naive to substitute for facts to support your stance. In your world Carroll personally followed around, or should have followed around, every star player on the team and knows what they do off the field 100% of the time and anyone who doesn't agree with that is naive. Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds? :doh:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe McKnights "tricked out SUV" belonged to his girlfriend. There was no violation, which is why there was no punishment.

Also, there was never any question re: players driving "fancy cars". The only cars that were ever called into question were Reggie Bush's car which was shown to not be outside his families means and was never proven to be provided by anyone other than his family and Joe McKnight driving an SUV that belonged to his girlfriend.

035ostrich_468x538.jpg

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still place the full blame for the severity of the sanctions on the AD at the time. Mike Garrett. During the investigation, Garrett came off as arrogant and his attitude, no doubt, pissed off the powers running the NCAA. Had he been a bit more humble and remorseful, perhaps the sanctions would not have been so harsh.

Just my thought anyways.

Others seem to have thought along those lines as well as he was dismissed not long after.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still place the full blame for the severity of the sanctions on the AD at the time. Mike Garrett. During the investigation, Garrett came off as arrogant and his attitude, no doubt, pissed off the powers running the NCAA. Had he been a bit more humble and remorseful, perhaps the sanctions would not have been so harsh.

Just my thought anyways.

Others seem to have thought along those lines as well as he was dismissed not long after.

:agree: Nothing wrong with defending the school and stating that he didn't believe USC did anything wrong, but with the way he went about it, he practically dared the NCAA to punish USC.