• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Carroll criticizes NCAA on sanctions

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll criticized the NCAA on Wednesday night, saying again that college athletics' governing body "made a terrible error" in punishing USC in the wake of his time as coach.

In his first appearance at the school since 2010, Carroll said the NCAA mishandled the sanctions that came down shortly after he left that year to coach the Seattle Seahawks.

The NCAA penalized USC with a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 30 scholarships over three years after it determined former running back Reggie Bush and basketball player O.J. Mayo had received impermissible benefits. The last of the penalties expire this year.

"We made some mistakes along the way but I don't think it was dealt with properly," Carroll told reporters, according to the Los Angeles Times. "I thought it was dealt with poorly and very irrationally and done with way too much emotion instead of facts."

Carroll led the Trojans to two national championships and seven BCS games from 2001 to 2009, and he has repeatedly said the NCAA treated USC unfairly.

"We just didn't know what was going on," Carroll said Wednesday night. "Had we known, I would like to think we would do the right thing and would have stopped everything and fixed it by doing what we should have done. But unfortunately, because we didn't know, the university gets killed over the deal."

Carroll said people outside the athletic department were to blame for USC's issues and criticized the NCAA for punishing a school for actions taken by "people that have nothing to do with the university."

He also said the NCAA didn't want to listen to USC's side before issuing a decision.

"I just think it was not handled well," Carroll said. "I sat in the meetings. I listened to the people talk. I listened to the venom that they had for our program. They didn't understand a thing about what we were all about. ... They never were here. And they didn't want to hear it. They never even got close to hearing what we're all about. ...

"They tried to make it out like it was something else. They made a terrible error."

Pete Carroll criticizes NCAA for handling of USC Trojans sanctions - ESPN Los Angeles

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll can suck a fat dick.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have only slightly more respect for Pete Carroll than I do Urban Meyer.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This paragraph right here shows he is full of shit.

"We just didn't know what was going on," Carroll said Wednesday night. "Had we known, I would like to think we would do the right thing and would have stopped everything and fixed it by doing what we should have done. But unfortunately, because we didn't know, the university gets killed over the deal."

You and your staff are supposed to know when people are getting the benefits that Bush received. Fucking lame.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You and your staff are supposed to know when people are getting the benefits that Bush received. Fucking lame.

Of course. What a shameful way to avoid accountability. :L

What is that quote by one of the British admirals? Something like "Nothing happens on the ship that the Captain doesn't know about."

Ultimately, Pete Carroll was responsible and yet he's trying to dodge it. The smart thing to do would be to STFU and count his blessings.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. What a shameful way to avoid accountability. :L

What is that quote by one of the British admirals? Something like "Nothing happens on the ship that the Captain doesn't know about."

Ultimately, Pete Carroll was responsible and yet he's trying to dodge it. The smart thing to do would be to STFU and count his blessings.

Responsible yes but the NCAA hit USC because they said Mcniar knew about the deal between Bush and Lake. The deal they were trying to keep secret. The NCAA has admitted that they were mistaken when they called McNair a liar. The NCAA interviewed Lake and Lake told them McNair called him in 2006 and detailed a conversation where the NCAA belived McNair knew about the deal. Two problems with that. When they questioned McNair about the phone call they asked McNair about a phone call in 2005. McNair couldn't recall a phone call in 2005 (the wrong year) . He was labled a liar and Lakes version was taken as true by the NCAA. Problem two. Phone records later showed the phone call in question was actually made by Lake. The NCAA now claims "mistakes were made". But they don;'t want records unsealed. You may dislike Pete or USC but you can't say they were given a fair shake. The should have gotten hit for Bush but not to the extent that they were.

"In finding McNair and USC guilty of rules violations almost four years ago, the NCAA used a phone call between the coach and Lake, a would-be marketer. The NCAA concluded that Lake's description of the call was credible and rejected McNair's version. An NCAA investigator got the year of the call wrong (2005, instead of 2006) while interviewing McNair.
The NCAA admitted it had telephone records showing that Lake initiated the call, contrary to his testimony to the association. Lake told the NCAA McNair had called him in early hours of Jan. 8, 2006. That conclusion according to Shaller's decision "could reasonably cast doubt on the occurrence of the ... conversation." The NCAA "should have known" parts of the infractions report regarding that call were "demonstrably untrue."
Largely on the basis of that call and Lake's testimony, McNair was found guilty of unethical conduct. Shaller's decision says McNair's attorneys had proven the NCAA infractions report on USC "contained material false statements regarding" the phone call".

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete is atop the world, why would he even need to bring this up?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess is he couldn't talk before because he was afraid it could hurt USC and enough time has gone by plus he won the Super Bowl so he has a lot of good will capital he can spend right now. The man probably feels he didn't have his day in court and I admire he is sticking up for USC because like you indicated he could have remained silent and taken care of himself.

USC got hit hard and other programs have gotten off a lot lighter you may not like what he says but he has a right to say it and reason too.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty funny considering in 2007 the NCAA found 61 Florida State athletes guilty of academic fraud. To the point where 23 football players were banned from the bowl game. Oh but USC should have known ONE player had a secret deal with an agent but coaches at Florida State couldn't possibly know what 61 players were up to.
Fucking hypocrite.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is he couldn't talk before because he was afraid it could hurt USC and enough time has gone by plus he won the Super Bowl so he has a lot of good will capital he can spend right now. The man probably feels he didn't have his day in court and I admire he is sticking up for USC because like you indicated he could have remained silent and taken care of himself.

USC got hit hard and other programs have gotten off a lot lighter you may not like what he says but he has a right to say it and reason too.

Actually, I don't mind what Pete said, im just surprised he would even bring this up now. I think what USC got hit with was ridiculous and like you said, teams have gotten off easier for doing worse than what USC did.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He didn't. He was at USC for a speaking engagement and was asked about it by reporters after he was done. They asked him about it and he answered.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, he has spoken out against the NCAA and defended USC on several occasions since he left. This is just the first time it received this level of attention (which probably has a lot to do with the Super Bowl win).

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont all programs kick the ncaa in the mouth and tell them to stfu??? Or is that just miami?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake, the wannabe agent that set up the impermissible benefits said: "Everything was done away from campus, behind closed doors with no one else around. We knew it had to be that way because Reggie could get in trouble".

The impermissible benefits were handled in San Diego (over 2 hours from USC's campus). Was USC supposed to hire private investigators to follow all of their athletes around to make sure no one was doing anything wrong?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont all programs kick the ncaa in the mouth and tell them to stfu??? Or is that just miami?

Miami got lucky. The NCAA investigation into USC was every bit as corrupt as the crap they tried to pull on Miami. The difference was, everyone found out what they were doing in the Miami investigation before it was over and any sanctions were handed down.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami got lucky. The NCAA investigation into USC was every bit as corrupt as the crap they tried to pull on Miami. The difference was, everyone found out what they were doing in the Miami investigation before it was over and any sanctions were handed down.

There is a plaque affixed to emmerts desk that reads "property of the university of miami". :D

Last edited by a moderator:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a plaque affixed to emmerts desk that reads "property of the university of miami". :D

Well don;t forget that Paul Dee was in charge when all that stuff happened at Miami