• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

People that root for a team they have no affiliation with

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cheer for UK...win or lose....always have...always will! In my feeble and insipid mind, I didn't know I had a choice of teams to cheer for. Which just gave me an idea for a thread....I'll be right back you mf'ers.:yes:

I guess that is where I am coming from. I was born a Buckeye. Its not like I didn't have a choice but I never wanted to choose any other school to root for. I knew the place, I had gone to games from an early age and I was always taught the history.

So its hard for me to understand why someone would say "Hey, look at that team that I have no connection too" I think I will root for them.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said, I do feel that picking pro sports is different. With pro sports its just about a team, there is no University involved. When I was a kid I rooted for the Dallas Cowboys because my Grandpa and Cousin liked them. But when I got older I completely grew out of it.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that is where I am coming from. I was born a Buckeye. Its not like I didn't have a choice but I never wanted to choose any other school to root for. I knew the place, I had gone to games from an early age and I was always taught the history.

So its hard for me to understand why someone would say "Hey, look at that team that I have no connection too" I think I will root for them.

It's really that hard to grasp? I didn't have a connection to a team. So you recommend I don't watch a particular sport because of that? This is where your entire argument falls flat on its face.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really that hard to grasp? I didn't have a connection to a team. So you recommend I don't watch a particular sport because of that? This is where your entire argument falls flat on its face.

No I didn't recommend that. Is this the third or fourth time you have put words in my mouth?

Its impossible for my argument to fall flat on its face because my argument is my opinion and it can't be changed.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I didn't recommend that. Is this the third or fourth time you have put words in my mouth?

Its impossible for my argument to fall flat on its face because my argument is my opinion and it can't be changed.

well then, IN YOUR OPINION, how does one in NH whose parents went to schools that have no (or patriot league level) basketball programs, along with no programs in your area, get to watch college basketball and have a team?

Name one way besides choosing a team based on a player you really like when you're 7, because honestly I am pretty happy with how that ended up for me

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well then, IN YOUR OPINION, how does one in NH whose parents went to schools that have no (or patriot league level) basketball programs, along with no programs in your area, get to watch college basketball and have a team?

Name one way besides choosing a team based on a player you really like when you're 7, because honestly I am pretty happy with how that ended up for me

You couldn't pick a decent school that was a little closer to home ?

A place that you could actually get to and watch games somewhat regularly.

Listen, its your life, I by no means am trying to tell you what you should have done, I am just telling you its odd to me and it isn't the same as someone who has real ties.

You may have the same passion or even more but it has to be somewhat empty being so far removed from the actual school.

I mean who do you get to help you turn over cars and stuff during big wins :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You couldn't pick a decent school that was a little closer to home ?

A place that you could actually get to and watch games somewhat regularly.

Listen, its your life, I by no means am trying to tell you what you should have done, I am just telling you its odd to me and it isn't the same as someone who has real ties.

You may have the same passion or even more but it has to be somewhat empty being so far removed from the actual school.

I mean who do you get to help you turn over cars and stuff during big wins :whistle:

what kind of wimp needs help, or even more than one arm, to take care of a task such as this?

Also I already explained there wasn't a decent school anywhere near me. Storrs, CT could be Alaska, for all intents and purposes.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually, not the last 'few' pages, was more pages than I want to go back and count.

Churchillin

Hoopla Cash
$ 216.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the Iowa-LSU bowl game with my father in law, who hasn't spent two months combined outside of the state of Iowa. I knew previously that he liked LSU somewhat. Nevertheless I was shocked when he celebrated on LSUs first score. He was an Iowa fan his whole life and didn't start liking LSU till like 2008 because he likes Les Miles. Call me bitter but it really really bothered me that he was rooting for LSU over Iowa. As soon as I saw that he was rooting for LSU I wanted to leave. I made the best of it and was good-natured about it to the point my wife afterward said she did not notice any angst from me at all. But it bothered me. I don't agree with the OPs post but when you grow up and still live in a state and have been a fan your whole life and then you root against them in a game against a team 1,000 miles away? I don't see it. Can some enlightened "root for who you want" fan help me with my intolerant bitterness in this case please? Or do I have a point?

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what kind of wimp needs help, or even more than one arm, to take care of a task such as this?

Also I already explained there wasn't a decent school anywhere near me. Storrs, CT could be Alaska, for all intents and purposes.

It still find it strange to root for a school not know anything about the campus.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still find it strange to root for a school not know anything about the campus.

Well, some people can differentiate a sports team with the school...

Question: would you rather someone with "zero" ties be a fan of a school for only one sport or all sports???

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, some people can differentiate a sports team with the school...

Question: would you rather someone with "zero" ties be a fan of a school for only one sport or all sports???

Thats the part I don't respect. People that look at a university as a sports team only.

College sports is much more than just the sport itself.

To answer your question, I would rather have the t shirt fan be a fan of all sports or at least the major sports.