• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins offseason thread

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to look that way. Spaling is a RFA who is scheduled to go to arbitration on Thursday (31st) so we'll get him one way or the other. Its just a question of how much the Pens are going to pay. They really need to sign Sutter cuz Adams just won't cut it. From what I read Sutter wants a one year deal so he can play the free agent market next year, but the Pens want to lock him up long term.

I've read that there are a few teams that are inquiring about trading with the Penguins for Sutter. Edmonton apparently has explored the idea of an offer sheet, and they've also apparently had discussions about acquiring Brandon in a trade that reportedly includes David Perron coming the other way.

That obviously amounts to nothing but rumors right now, but it is an interesting situation because the Oilers have what you could describe as a glut of top six wingers and the Pens have a glut of young defensemen that Edm. is in dire need of, along with a capable bottom six center like Sutter.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read that there are a few teams that are inquiring about trading with the Penguins for Sutter. Edmonton apparently has explored the idea of an offer sheet, and they've also apparently had discussions about acquiring Brandon in a trade that reportedly includes David Perron coming the other way.

That obviously amounts to nothing but rumors right now, but it is an interesting situation because the Oilers have what you could describe as a glut of top six wingers and the Pens have a glut of young defensemen that Edm. is in dire need of, along with a capable bottom six center like Sutter.

That sounds interesting. Sutter and a D man from Wilkes-Barre for two forwards. The Pens could do worse.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds interesting. Sutter and a D man from Wilkes-Barre for two forwards. The Pens could do worse.

We won't get anything in return tho. 2 forwards worth $6,430,833 ($3,215,416.5 each) won't get us much.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be all gloom & doom but this season is a wash. Might as well tank & take our chances in the draft. I hear that Connor McDavid sure can play.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spaling got a 2 year 2.2 per deal. It will be interesting to see how Sutter falls in and have space under the cap.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't expect Spaling to get that much. If we want to keep Sutter, we pretty much have to move Scuderi now. Otherwise, we won't have enough money to fill up the 23 man, since I expect Sutter to get about $4 million per year.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't expect Spaling to get that much. If we want to keep Sutter, we pretty much have to move Scuderi now. Otherwise, we won't have enough money to fill up the 23 man, since I expect Sutter to get about $4 million per year.

I'll trade Scuderi for a bag of pucks if we could. If this move is possible I would do it even if we have to throw Sutter in the deal.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll trade Scuderi for a bag of pucks if we could. If this move is possible I would do it even if we have to throw Sutter in the deal.
Throw in a stick rack and you've got a deal.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah it is interesting to see what will happen.
If you bury Scuderi his cap hit would go down to 2.45 and will give them the room to sign Sutter at 4 per year. Basically that would give them 1.1 of cap space left with a roster of 18 players and 2 goalies - Yuk.

If they don't bury Scuderi and sign Sutter for 4 per year they would have 19 players with only 200k left under the cap.

Seriously I doubt they will find any takers for Scuderi so this team is SOL.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If dumping Scuderi is an option, I'll do it no matter what, even if wasn't to keep Sutter. I can't imagine any team stupid enough to do it tho. Maybe the Caps? They like to overpay for Penguin dmen.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Sutter basically makes or breaks the offseason. We sort of blew it when it came to getting back max value for James Neal. If we don't re-sign Sutter or get back something like Mark Arcobello in return for him, then our offseason was basically a joke with the exception of drafting Kapanen.

Not sure what to expect from this season if we lose our best dman from last season, our best sniper from last season, and lose what's arguably out best 2 way forward all in the same offseason.

I think Ehrhoff can step up for the void of Niskanen, I think Kapanen could make up for Neal, but I don't see anyone in the system making up for Sutter. It would be the biggest blow of the offseason if we lose him without getting anything decent in return.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sutter signed for two years, $3.3 million per. I didn't see it announced, but it's on CapGeek.

He got less than I expected him to. We still have some work to do in order to get enough players under contract, but it's good to have him back in the fold.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sutter signed for two years, $3.3 million per. I didn't see it announced, but it's on CapGeek.

He got less than I expected him to. We still have some work to do in order to get enough players under contract, but it's good to have him back in the fold.

Same here

I thought Sutter would see 3.75+ million this season. Getting him for just 3.3 per for two seasons looks like a solid deal to me.

Hopefully, he can get acclimated to two regular wingers and they can develop some chemistry. The 3rd line for the Pens has never been the same since Staal, Cooke and Kennedy were all sent packing. But, I think the thing that made them so dangerous was the fact that they grew accustomed to playing with one another. If Sutter could get that same time with some regular wingers, it would do wonders for all three of them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here

I thought Sutter would see 3.75+ million this season. Getting him for just 3.3 per for two seasons looks like a solid deal to me.

Hopefully, he can get acclimated to two regular wingers and they can develop some chemistry. The 3rd line for the Pens has never been the same since Staal, Cooke and Kennedy were all sent packing. But, I think the thing that made them so dangerous was the fact that they grew accustomed to playing with one another. If Sutter could get that same time with some regular wingers, it would do wonders for all three of them.

Agreed, and he should get that chance this year, since our forward depth is better than it has been in the past.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be all gloom & doom but this season is a wash. Might as well tank & take our chances in the draft. I hear that Connor McDavid sure can play.

No it's not. Any team with Crosby & Malkin has a chance. I will say this about Crosby though, he needs to get his act together in the postseason. 1 goal in his last 18 games isn't going to cut it. The best player in the league must be better.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 more roster spots for $930,833 :L

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's not. Any team with Crosby & Malkin has a chance. I will say this about Crosby though, he needs to get his act together in the postseason. 1 goal in his last 18 games isn't going to cut it. The best player in the league must be better.

IDK, Lightning had the top 2 scorers in the NHL 2 seasons ago & ended up missing the playoffs. Sid & Geno should keep things interesting but without a solid team around them they're mediocre at best. Unproven goaltending, unproven defense, & unproven coaching. Lots of questions to answer.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 more roster spots for $930,833 :L

That really isn't true. They have 12 forwards, 7 D-men and 2 goalies but with Maatta and Bennett probably out to start the season their money will be available due to LTIR. So fully expect the likes of Megna, Kapanen or whoever they decide to be called up at forward. Then Dumoulin to take Maatta's roster spot during that time.