• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins offseason thread

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think we should do this offseason as far as the draft, free agents, and possible coaching changes are concerned. Haven't really thought about it much, but just for some reference,

Potential draft picks:

2014 Draft Prospects - North American Skaters - NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

2014 Draft Prospects - European Skaters - NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

2014 Draft Prospects - North American Goalies - NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

2014 Draft Prospects - European Goalies - NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Free agents:

NHL Free Agents

Coaches are sort of tricky at this point. I think we can all agree that Dan Bylsma's shelf life is up, but who do we get to replace him? Barry Trotz is a name that comes up often considering he has connections with Ray Shero from his days in Nashville. I personally would like to see John Hynes get a chance considering he would be easy to hire and has shown a knack for setting up a good defensive scheme down at WBS. I really don't want John Tortorella anywhere near this team, I think he's a cancer and has no business coaching in the NHL anymore. I would rather just keep Disco than hire Torts to tell you the truth.

What are your thoughts? What moves should we make, who should we go after? I see this as a pivotal moment in the Pens franchise, changes need to be made and if we don't change now, we may have to settle with mediocrity for years to come.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of Christ could the Pens draft, develop, and actually use a forward who would turn into a productive NHLer. For all these "great" D-men prospects in our system, we've not received a whole lot of return aside from Ollie. I still have hope for Pouliot, but I could see him being ruined by the Pens as well.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of Christ could the Pens draft, develop, and actually use a forward who would turn into a productive NHLer. For all these "great" D-men prospects in our system, we've not received a whole lot of return aside from Ollie. I still have hope for Pouliot, but I could see him being ruined by the Pens as well.

That's why I want Hynes as the next coach, he'll play the prospects & implement a defensive system. I think he would bring balance to the team & he would be an easy hire.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys should hire guy Boucher! I think you guys should ship Malkin out west for a package of wingers draft picks etc.. maybe look to do a trade with st Louis who could use a top center. See if you can get Jake Allen in the package to push maf. I'd get a defenseman winger and goalie from st Louis.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy Boucher was a pretty bad coach, and exactly what happens when you take a guy with no NHL experience in any respect and have him manage NHL players. His first year was good when he was fresh, and then disaster.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners favor firing Bylsma; Shero status undetermined | TribLIVE

Disturbing article. They were upset Dan was too hard on them? And they had too many hard practices?

Were they upset because they felt he was wasting their time, which I would actually understand. Or are they just that whiny?

Also, Rossi, so grain of salt.

Says Shero is in jeopardy too.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing Shero would be a mistake. He's made great moves over the years. Disco needs to go tho.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still for retaining Shero. He's repeatedly put the pieces in place, made adjustments every year based on previous years' weaknesses. Signing back Bylsma and bringing back Scuderi were mistakes, but overall, he's put the players in place.

When everyone was healthy, there was plenty of talent and depth to win. We had three lines with the ability to score goals.

It's also really hard to assess his drafting, since Danny never used any of those places aside from Maatta. Despres still hasn't gotten a fair shake despite largely playing well when given the chance, Bennett has shown he can and should be a top six winger when healthy, but he was either on the third line or even scratched much of the time, Gibbons and Megna were effective while up, but were never used, and all those young defensemen outplayed their veteran counterparts when the Penguins had all sorts of injury trouble on the blue line. There are hints that he's aggregated the talent, but it simply isn't being utilized.

Bylsma is largely responsible for all of that. I mean, last year, he was given Jarome Iginla to put on Crosby or Malkin's wing, and he found a way to screw that up by taking Iginla out of his comfort zone and mitigating his skillset. If you can't figure out how to get production out of Iginla, how can you get it out of young talents entering the league?

Replacing the coaching staff and opening up spots on the blue line for our talented young defensemen, and in the bottom six for our forwards is the big first step to getting back on track.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad thing is that Gibbons and Megna were both undrafted free agents.

And I think Shero stays. As bad as his drafts have been, there is too much there that is positive. But he might need to refocus his efforts on getting younger, bigger, and harder to play against.

It's unfortunate that Shero decided to sign every complimentary player on the team to huge deals, Letang, Dupuis, Kunitz, Neal, Scuderi, and give them all NT clauses.

I'm thinking James Neal is going to be shipped out of here. I don't like moving Neal, but out of those guys him and Kunitz are the only ones who could bring back something useful at this point.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad thing is that Gibbons and Megna were both undrafted free agents.

And I think Shero stays. As bad as his drafts have been, there is too much there that is positive. But he might need to refocus his efforts on getting younger, bigger, and harder to play against.

It's unfortunate that Shero decided to sign every complimentary player on the team to huge deals, Letang, Dupuis, Kunitz, Neal, Scuderi, and give them all NT clauses.

I'm thinking James Neal is going to be shipped out of here. I don't like moving Neal, but out of those guys him and Kunitz are the only ones who could bring back something useful at this point.

Good point, as much as I like Shero, he really screwed up giving out those contracts last year.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly I don't see much change in their roster. Too many unmovable contracts: Letang, Scuderi and Dupuis no one will want. Kunitz could be but I doubt they will ever get what they consider real value for him. I think Shero's days of coup type trades are over the further they get from winning the perceived value of the players gets lower and lower.

Also I wonder sometimes if Shero's drafts aren't as bad at producing NHL as shown? Meaning DB never played them in the NHL or never in the right role? So those on the "cusp" players never get the call so the players behind them never get a chance at the AHL level due to the "cusp" players filling that AHL roster?

I am wondering about forwards like Payerl, Uher, Kuhnhackl and Zlobin - heck he was in the ECHL and probably is their most dynamic foward.

Then behind them are the likes of:
Marcantuoni and Sundqvist might have some real talent.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Letang contract was a huge mistake. Wish they could trade him. Too many "stars" on this team that cost too much and they haven't produced well enough. This team should lead the league in scoring by a wide margin every year. I would also like to see John Hynes coach the Pens but I honestly don't know enough about many other available options. I just hope someone can solve this teams problems soon so they can actually improve from the season prior.

Last edited by a moderator:

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cant get rid of malkin when he is setting up Jokinen. The goaltending was the issue, the issue has to be analyzed as 2 back to back shutouts then 9 goals the next 2 games. Is MAF really that weak? you have to ask yourself this. For those 2 games yes.

Blysma stays. Scuderi was injured

After all who had the worst series and isnt even being mention for Dismissal....... Crosby!

Are Blysma, MAF, Malkin being scape goats because the Pens cant fire Crosby? I think so and if that be the case you have to look at MAF and he still won a cup

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cant get rid of malkin when he is setting up Jokinen. The goaltending was the issue, the issue has to be analyzed as 2 back to back shutouts then 9 goals the next 2 games. Is MAF really that weak? you have to ask yourself this. For those 2 games yes.

Blysma stays. Scuderi was injured

After all who had the worst series and isnt even being mention for Dismissal....... Crosby!

Are Blysma, MAF, Malkin being scape goats because the Pens cant fire Crosby? I think so and if that be the case you have to look at MAF and he still won a cup

Crosby isn't going anywhere. He did have a bunch of games where he played great other than on the score sheet. Bylsma is the biggest problem for this team IMO.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crosby isn't going anywhere. He did have a bunch of games where he played great other than on the score sheet. Bylsma is the biggest problem for this team IMO.

that series could have been easily won by the Pens and then there would be no questions asked dont let the media start a blow up of a team story, Blysma doesnt deserve it

we all know crosby isnt going anywhere

maybe its the fans

Last edited by a moderator:

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that series could have been easily won by the Pens and then there would be no questions asked dont let the media start a blow up of a team story, Blysma doesnt deserve it

The Pens could have won that series if Hank wasn't the goalie really. My opinion isn't based on anything the media says. I watch the games and Dan Bylsma absolutely deserves most of the blame. It isn't based on just that series.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens could have won that series if Hank wasn't the goalie really. My opinion isn't based on anything the media says. I watch the games and Dan Bylsma absolutely deserves most of the blame. It isn't based on just that series.

Totally agree.

Yeah and trust me my opinion has nothing to do with the media either heck I ignore the Pittsburgh media.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you are wrong.....The pens had 100 plus pts this season other teams would die for
the pens were up 3-1 with consecutive shutouts other teams would die for
The Pens ran into Hank which the Rangers havent seen him play 3 games like he did in years

This a Hank thing......the Pens ran into....The Pens dont need a witch hunt scenario in the offseason. Let it be

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are wrong.....The pens had 100 plus pts this season other teams would die for
The Pens ran into Hank which the Rangers havent seen him play 3 games like he did in years

This a Hank thing......the Pens ran into....The Pens dont need a witch hunt scenario in the offseason. Let it be

To each their own I guess? With this much talent on a team, making it too or almost making it to the ECF isn't the goal for any teams. Again, this isn't just based on this last series.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

look ....you guys were cruising until after the Olympics. Then what happened you had a slide due to injuries and what do injuries do? They keep players off the ice at different time frames in the schedule, so logically not all the weapons are skating together nor at different time as were prior to the Olympics

This a witch hunt for no reason and there could be worse reprecussions if it goes down