• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats sign offer sheet for M. Gillislee RB Bills

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think NE still goes RB in the draft. Lewis and Rex only have 1 yr left. Gill would be here for 2 yrs, and White just extended for 3. I can see BB going RB and letting him learn over the next few yrs, and still get reps this yr. I think we have seen the end of Bolden, and thank God. He will be here for camp, and that is about it. I think BB looks at Gill and is saying why would I over pay for a AP, Charles or Blount, why not do it for a younger kid who would fit in nicely here? Best part is, all 4 can catch....this offense is going to be insane this yr.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think NE still goes RB in the draft. Lewis and Rex only have 1 yr left. Gill would be here for 2 yrs, and White just extended for 3. I can see BB going RB and letting him learn over the next few yrs, and still get reps this yr. I think we have seen the end of Bolden, and thank God. He will be here for camp, and that is about it. I think BB looks at Gill and is saying why would I over pay for a AP, Charles or Blount, why not do it for a younger kid who would fit in nicely here? Best part is, all 4 can catch....this offense is going to be insane this yr.
Well I hope you're right about Bolden. I've said it over and over. He's a waste of a roster spot. BB can find a ST player to replace him. Maybe someone who can return kicks or play OLB.
I still think BB is working a trade? Bringing in Burkhead and Gillislee niether are real pounders. Maybe it's Butler and Lewis for Sherman, Rawls and a draft pick? I hope I'm wrong I don't want either. It just seems strange unless he's planning on running outside the tackles this season? Zigging when everyone else is zagging:noidea:

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I hope you're right about Bolden. I've said it over and over. He's a waste of a roster spot. BB can find a ST player to replace him. Maybe someone who can return kicks or play OLB.
I still think BB is working a trade? Bringing in Burkhead and Gillislee niether are real pounders. Maybe it's Butler and Lewis for Sherman, Rawls and a draft pick? I hope I'm wrong I don't want either. It just seems strange unless he's planning on running outside the tackles this season? Zigging when everyone else is zagging:noidea:

Rex actually runs through the tackles pretty well, and so can Gills. I am not sure the "pound it" backs are as popular anymore. I think either of them can handle the GL work. Sea wants a first rd pick, they won't get that from NE. If they trade for Butler, they still have to pay him the big money, if not he walks. They would prob want Rowe instead. With the health of Sea RB, I think they may need Lacy, Rawls, Procise, Collins...LOL. I don't think BB is done, Butler signed his tender and the draft is in a week. So maybe things heat up for him, but at a 2nd/3rd rd pick. Not much room on this team right now for these rookies, so maybe even a pick next yr would be good. Would not shock me to see BB package both 3rds to move back into the 2nd.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis may not make it out of camp. He had 6 fumbles last year and lost 3. He's not the biggest or strongest guy on the field and putting the ball on the ground ain't any way to show that you're bigger than you look. Think back to other guys who couldn't hold on to the ball.......what happened to them????? BB don't play favorites.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis may not make it out of camp. He had 6 fumbles last year and lost 3. He's not the biggest or strongest guy on the field and putting the ball on the ground ain't any way to show that you're bigger than you look. Think back to other guys who couldn't hold on to the ball.......what happened to them????? BB don't play favorites.
BB has a variety metrics and one is value compared to replacement... Lewis is shiftier than White and is overall a better player.... but is the difference great enough to keep him vs the 1 vs 2 guy at other positions. Only BB's opinion matters... But make no mistake, the decision isn't just about who's the best at any one position.

Also consider the liklihood of staying on the field. Lewis going down late in the Superbowl may influence the decision more than the fumbles. The ability to take a return to the house adds more positives for Lewis too. The decision on Lewis (and every player for that matter) is complicated.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB has a variety metrics and one is value compared to replacement... Lewis is shiftier than White and is overall a better player.... but is the difference great enough to keep him vs the 1 vs 2 guy at other positions. Only BB's opinion matters... But make no mistake, the decision isn't just about who's the best at any one position.

Also consider the liklihood of staying on the field. Lewis going down late in the Superbowl may influence the decision more than the fumbles. The ability to take a return to the house adds more positives for Lewis too. The decision on Lewis (and every player for that matter) is complicated.

The other issue with Lewis to add to the equation is knowing with him being such an explosive athlete that if you let him go teams will be going crazy trying to land him.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how Lewis would work as a return man.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other issue with Lewis to add to the equation is knowing with him being such an explosive athlete that if you let him go teams will be going crazy trying to land him.
If that's the case then a trade could be in order. If a lot of teams want him, who wouldn't give up a 7th, or 6th to land him... or 5th.... Let the bidding begin... unless BB wants to keep him.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rex actually runs through the tackles pretty well, and so can Gills. I am not sure the "pound it" backs are as popular anymore. I think either of them can handle the GL work. Sea wants a first rd pick, they won't get that from NE. If they trade for Butler, they still have to pay him the big money, if not he walks. They would prob want Rowe instead. With the health of Sea RB, I think they may need Lacy, Rawls, Procise, Collins...LOL. I don't think BB is done, Butler signed his tender and the draft is in a week. So maybe things heat up for him, but at a 2nd/3rd rd pick. Not much room on this team right now for these rookies, so maybe even a pick next yr would be good. Would not shock me to see BB package both 3rds to move back into the 2nd.
Seattle may want a 1st but I don't think anyone will give that up. So it becomes a decision is Sherman more of a problem than what he's worth? None of us know. They also wanted a player. So if they do decide to let Sherman go they need to replace him with a corner because they already need one for the other side. Butler is proven and a deep draft at DB they could find the other. They also get a proven back.

Good point by BK I forgot about all his fumbles.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle may want a 1st but I don't think anyone will give that up. So it becomes a decision is Sherman more of a problem than what he's worth? None of us know. They also wanted a player. So if they do decide to let Sherman go they need to replace him with a corner because they already need one for the other side. Butler is proven and a deep draft at DB they could find the other. They also get a proven back.

Good point by BK I forgot about all his fumbles.

I hear ya. Many think Rowe fits their system better, and would come at a cheaper price than Butler would. Say Sea would settle on a 2nd Rd pick, we still don't have that. I think at this point, Sherman remains in Sea. I still think Butler gets dealt if they meet with Jason McCourty. Sort of like Jones last yr. Long came in for a visit, then then next thing you know Jones was traded to AZ and they signed Long. The fact NE keeps looking at late rd 1st rd players and 2nd rd guys tells me something is going down, just don't know what...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. Many think Rowe fits their system better, and would come at a cheaper price than Butler would. Say Sea would settle on a 2nd Rd pick, we still don't have that. I think at this point, Sherman remains in Sea. I still think Butler gets dealt if they meet with Jason McCourty. Sort of like Jones last yr. Long came in for a visit, then then next thing you know Jones was traded to AZ and they signed Long. The fact NE keeps looking at late rd 1st rd players and 2nd rd guys tells me something is going down, just don't know what...
Agree BB isn't done. Rowe is definitely more of a press coverage guy and cheaper. But he still needs some reps to see if he's the real deal. I think you're right Sherman will be on the Seattle roster come the start of the season. If Seattle struggles it may be enough to get Sherman complaining again, which could get him moved.

Come on draft day

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's the case then a trade could be in order. If a lot of teams want him, who wouldn't give up a 7th, or 6th to land him... or 5th.... Let the bidding begin... unless BB wants to keep him.

Wouldn't shock me if that happens. Plenty of teams looking for a skill set like his and doubt they can find a 6th rounder that can do half of what he does. So yeah if I were the Patriots I would just let the bidding begin.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More and more the TV heads are talking about Butler being moved and are constantly hinting that the Patriots now have too many active RBs. They are starting to talk about Lewis not being here come Sept. 9.

There's still a lot of people that don't believe that Cleveland is going to draft a QB or let Oz run the offense. No one really has any idea what Belichick is up to. He's been a constant surprise this year and nearly every move has shocked the Boston media.

Tom Curran and Mike Giardi are probably closer to BB than any other media guys in Boston with the exception of Michael Holley, who has written three books (Patriots Reign, War Room, Belichick and Brady) with BB since he's been the head coach. Holley doesn't cover the team like other the other guys, but may start now that he's on Boston Sports Tonight every night. Curran has been pretty flip, flop but has starting talking more about the potential Draft Day trades. He seems to think that Butler and Garapollo will both get traded and Belichick will end up with possibly two first round and two second round picks. Giardi's not so sure but thinks if the trades do get done, Belichick will move out of the first round with both picks, and pick up two first rounders next year and possibly a second and two third round picks in 2017. Now wouldn't that be the shits, the Pats having 3 first round picks in 2018? How many picks could BB get out of those??

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of talk about Jimmy and MB like Ken said. Rumor is that NE and NO can't agree on compensation and that BB has not been involved in any of talks, that may change. Thought is NO thinks they can get the CB they need at either their 1st and 2nd rd picks. This might be a day 2 trade if who NO targeted was picked. IMO they still won't get a 1st for Butler. I am thinking a 2nd and 4th might get it done.

People seem to think Clev is going to up their anti for Jimmy G soon, and it might be to much for BB to pass on. IF Clev pulls a trade with the Jets before the draft, then we can put this JG to Clev to bed. Thoughts out of Clev is they want Garrett at #1 and use #12 and a few more picks for JG. Less than a week away, so lets those rumors fly!!!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this do to Rex Burkhead's stock?

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this do to Rex Burkhead's stock?

Hard to say. We all know how NE uses their RB. Blount had 18 TD's but it was White in the SB who got the carries. It's all based on match-ups with this team. I think both get the GL looks, both can catch, both can run through the tackles. Would not shock me to see both on the field at the same time. They are paying Gills RB1 money, so I think he is the man, but Rex will get his fair share. I honestly think Lewis is the odd man out until Bolden is gone.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say. We all know how NE uses their RB. Blount had 18 TD's but it was White in the SB who got the carries. It's all based on match-ups with this team. I think both get the GL looks, both can catch, both can run through the tackles. Would not shock me to see both on the field at the same time. They are paying Gills RB1 money, so I think he is the man, but Rex will get his fair share. I honestly think Lewis is the odd man out until Bolden is gone.
There is a pretty small sample size on Gillislee as far as catches. 18 targets with 15 catches over 3 years. He appears to have good hands and holds onto the ball. NE doesn't need another receiving back with White, Lewis and Burkhead already on the roster. They need Gillislee to get those tough short yards making opponents stay honest in the box.
Regardless I like what BB has done thus far. If he gets rid of Bolden for a couple used whistles I'll be ecstatic.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burkhead had 6 ko returns last year averaged 19 yds per. A long of 26. Not eye popping but maybe he can handle kicks to get him on the field more?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently NE has given RFA RB Mike Gillislee an offer sheet for $6.4M for two years with $4M in the first year. If Buffalo doesn't match NE gives up a 5th round pick this year. Bye Bye LG. Thanks for what you did while here.

26 yo, 5'-11", 208. Seems a little light to be a featured power back? He won't be asked to carry the ball 25x a game so maybe that is ok. Not much of a receiver but NE doesn't need another receiving back. He does hold onto the ball, only 2 fumbles in over 900 posessions.

NE quickly becoming Buffalo South.

Thoughts?

I wonder what LG was holding out for?
I'm not a big Blount fan.
Gillislee is solid quick, and hits the hole and runs downhill - and he's got fresh wheels. That he can catch is a bonus. This offense has too many tools for a defense to know what the Pats are planning - and the kid will fit in nicely!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big Blount fan.
Gillislee is solid quick, and hits the hole and runs downhill - and he's got fresh wheels. That he can catch is a bonus. This offense has too many tools for a defense to know what the Pats are planning - and the kid will fit in nicely!
I'm not a huge Blount fan but it's hard to argue his production. He was a team guy and repeatedly said how much he enjoyed playing for the Pats. Again good luck to him.