• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats sign offer sheet for M. Gillislee RB Bills

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills officially have 5 days to match the Patriots offer to Gillislee. That makes tomorrow the 23rd as the drop dead date.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5:16 PM ET
  • i

Mike Reiss ESPN Staff Writer
    • Covered Patriots since 1997
Steve, the Buffalo Bills have until Monday to make the decision on whether to match the Patriots' offer to running back Mike Gillislee, and it looks as though they might take this right up to the deadline. I think it's timely to point out the Bills didn't do that last year when New England signed restricted free-agent receiver Chris Hogan to an offer sheet. In that situation, the club was decisive in reporting to the NFL almost immediately that it wouldn't match Hogan's offer sheet.

I've wondered if the Bills delaying the decision is an indication of their intention to match the offer to Gillislee, but obviously I don't know that for sure. I've also wondered if having Hogan stolen away from them might also influence their decision-making with Gillislee.

So from a gut-feeling perspective, I probably lean slightly more in the direction that Buffalo might be more inclined to match.

Then again, one informed opinion in Buffalo pointed out that the Bills have just six draft picks, and by not matching the offer, they would pick up a seventh, which could be appealing to them.

Those are some of the dynamics in play as we get closer to Monday's deadline for the decision. By that point, there will be no more guesswork.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the Bills match, do they go back to LG? Does LG want to come back now?? This will be interesting to see if NE raises it's offer to LG or hit the draft for a RB. Does NE turn to Lynch and Seattle now?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the Bills match, do they go back to LG? Does LG want to come back now?? This will be interesting to see if NE raises it's offer to LG or hit the draft for a RB. Does NE turn to Lynch and Seattle now?
If the Bills match I don't think BB ups the offer. I wonder if the offer is still there? It gives Blount a few days to sign it if so. I think LG likely realizes he should've taken the offer.

No on Lynch, please

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bills match I don't think BB ups the offer. I wonder if the offer is still there? It gives Blount a few days to sign it if so. I think LG likely realizes he should've taken the offer.

No on Lynch, please

I thought if they matched the offer that was the end of it and he was given the contract by the Bills. At least that is how it worked last year for the Broncos and Anderson. I don't think there is the back and forth like contract negotiations.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought if they matched the offer that was the end of it and he was given the contract by the Bills. At least that is how it worked last year for the Broncos and Anderson. I don't think there is the back and forth like contract negotiations.

True, IF Buffalo matches the offer, he stays with the Bills and they have to pay him that. However, I am not sure if they can negotiate after he signs that contract. I mean; I cannot see why they can't, he is property of the Bills. But he has to sign the exact same contract the Patriots offered him. I think he was talking about BB upping the offer to Blount, not Gill.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will know by tomorrow what happens with Gillislee. I still think the Bills will not match and pay a #2 RB #1 money. If they do match, I feel BB will look for another vet RB. I think LG's time with the Pats may be at an end.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Bills match, they are required to pay the contract that the Patriots offered. They CANNOT renegotiate it, it's basically in stone. $4M for 2017 and $2.4M for 2018. They CAN renegotiate it next year if they want to extend the contract and improve the salary.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Creep said. I was talking about Blount.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired of watching Blount stopped at the line of scrimmage on 1st down. I'm ready to see some young legs.....
I'm not convinced that Buffalo will match or not. We'll know Monday.....

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More and more think Buffalo is going to keep him and just messing with NE now. Many in Buffalo feel NE got the upper hand with Hogan and Gillmore (they did). So now BB is in their head and thinking "well look at Hogan". LOL. I think at this point if not Gills, BB hits the draft OR offers a 5th for another RB on a roster now. Not sure who. Were getting there, few more days before the draft....let the rumors fly!!

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a time or is it a midnight of COB deal?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually any type of transaction has to be completed before the end of business of the day or date. For the NFL, their end of business is generally either 3 PM or 4 PM.

Once Buffalo has officially made up their minds internally, some one will leak it to the media in Buffalo.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots will know if they get Bills RB Mike Gillislee by 4 p.m.

5:00 AM ET
  • i

Mike ReissESPN Staff Writer
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The official deadline for the Buffalo Bills to decide whether to match the New England Patriots two-year, $6.4 million offer sheet for restricted free-agent running back Mike Gillislee is 4 p.m. ET, although it wouldn't be a surprise if the team's intentions become known at some point before that time.

The decision will have a trickle-down effect on the Patriots in multiple areas.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dingdingding: Welcome to the Pats Gillislee. It's official. NFLN reported it.

With the Bills declining to match the Patriots' two-year, $6.4 million offer sheet to running back Mike Gillislee, this means the Patriots now have Gillislee, James White, Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead, D.J. Foster and Brandon Bolden at running back. It's a crowded stable and likely means the door is closed on LeGarrette Blount's return.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dingdingding: Welcome to the Pats Gillislee. It's official. NFLN reported it.

With the Bills declining to match the Patriots' two-year, $6.4 million offer sheet to running back Mike Gillislee, this means the Patriots now have Gillislee, James White, Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead, D.J. Foster and Brandon Bolden at running back. It's a crowded stable and likely means the door is closed on LeGarrette Blount's return.

Beat me too it. RB will be stalked this year! Hopefully everyone remains healthy

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Mike Giardi, Gillislee has been working out hard this off season and is a rock solid 219 lbs.

Because of his paycheck, he will be the #1 running back, but will have to earn it.

Giardi is also reporting that there are indications that the Bills will NOT match the Patriots offer, so Gillislee will be a Patriot pretty quick.

Wasn't the deadline to match 4 p.m. today?