• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pats sign offer sheet for M. Gillislee RB Bills

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question. Before that we was a decent third down back with average running skills but hell, he was MVP1a in that game.
I feel TB was gifted that MVP IMO White was the MVP and TB MVP1A

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fell TB was gifted that MVP IMO White was the MVP and TB MVP1A

One could easily make that argument. I think Brady got a few extra votes because people wanted to see Brady kick Goodell or spit on him or something good like that.

Count me in. ;)

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One could easily make that argument. I think Brady got a few extra votes because people wanted to see Brady kick Goodell or spit on him or something good like that.

Count me in. ;)
Well I wanted to see that too, it would have been best for Kraft to step aside and have the commish hand the trophy to Tom. What a game that was.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was hard not to give it to Brady considering he gets a commission for each of White's touches too. What Brady did was amazing from the leadership to the execution.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was hard not to give it to Brady considering he gets a commission for each of White's touches too. What Brady did was amazing from the leadership to the execution.
Mehh it's not that hard. But hey in the end it's another Lombardi

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Slater called heads...Tom looked at Josh and said "Watch this....oh, and hold my beer"
Mothahfuckah never looked back and never looked stressed.

MVP.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article is taken from ESPN Boston 5-2-2017

Basically it compares Mike Gillislee to the 19th Running Back available in the 2017 NFL Draft. The #163 pick in the 5th Round was what the Patriots gave up for Gillislee. If they had taken a RB at #163, he would have been the 19th RB taken in the draft. (BK)

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Running back Mike Gillislee, who signed a two-year, $6.4 million contract with the New England Patriots as a restricted free agent two weeks ago, is scheduled to meet with reporters at Gillette Stadium at 11 a.m. ET on Tuesday.

It will mark the first time that Gillislee answers questions from Patriots reporters since being signed away from the Buffalo Bills, and the media access provides a springboard to revisit the Patriots’ decision to sign him and surrender a fifth-round draft choice (No. 163 overall) to Buffalo in the process.

How does the Patriots’ decision look now, based on the way the draft unfolded?

As is often the case in football, there are multiple layers to the analysis.

Quality of player: By the 163rd pick in the draft, 18 running backs already had been selected. The Patriots can feel, with strong confidence, that Gillislee is a better running back than what they would have picked at that spot. For example, Boise State running back Jeremy McNichols was selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at No. 162. McNichols might turn out to be a fine player, but Gillislee is a cut above at this time.

Economics/contract length: While the Patriots currently come out ahead in the “quality of player” category, they are at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to economics and contract length. Gillislee’s deal averages $3.2 million per season and he is signed through 2018, while the 163rd pick is slotted for a total contract that is four years in length (through 2020) and averages around $642,000 per season. So teams that draft well, and hit on fifth-round picks, benefit from one of the best economic bargains in the game. Those hits, however, aren't prevalent.

Known value vs. not being sure: As owner Robert Kraft said at March’s NFL annual meeting, the Patriots have made some decisions this offseason in which they’ve chosen “known value” over “not being sure.” Trading a first-round pick (No. 32) for receiver Brandin Cooks qualifies, as does this move for Gillislee. Similar to the Gillislee move, the Cooks trade held up well based on the way the first round of the draft unfolded, but there’s also the same economics/contract length dynamic in play (Cooks is signed only through 2018) that is part of the consideration.

Cooks and Gillislee are picks 5 and 6: The record will show that the Patriots made a franchise-low four picks in the 2017 draft, which has led some talk-radio critics to pan the club’s work. That’s a bottom-line analysis that doesn’t factor in that the club willingly surrendered two picks for Cooks and Gillislee based on its belief that those players provide more total value than the prospects they would have drafted. Whether that turns out to be the case will be a big part of evaluating this draft class in the coming years. The team’s other trades involving draft picks for established players -- for defensive end Kony Ealy, tight end Dwayne Allen and tight end James O’Shaughnessy -- were deals in which the team flipped picks and sacrificed positioning in the draft. Thus, depending on one’s viewpoint, the team came out of this draft with four players, six players or nine players. For me, it's nine.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not like Brady didn't bounce back to take the team to victory in the 4th quarter.

Even though the whole team rallied big time and White in particular EVERYONE including most players on the Patriots were looking to Brady to lead them to the win. And he came through.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If White wasn't in the game, Brady could have done it with someone else. If Brady wasn't in the game, White picks up garbage yards.