• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Padres trade for Kimbrel, Upton; send prospects.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm being realistic...it's a good deal for the Braves since their goal is to shed payroll, but I think you're really overrating Wisler. His 2014 performance was not even remotely good at all.

From what I can find he is the Padres #4 prospect and the #70 prospect in baseball. Most seem to think he has the ceiling of about a #3 pitcher.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm being realistic...it's a good deal for the Braves since their goal is to shed payroll, but I think you're really overrating Wisler.

Honestly, if it meant getting rid of Melvin and not having to pay a dime of his remaining contract, I would have sent Kimbrel away with him and asked for nothing in return. We got the best possible prospect we could have got from the Padres, and it will be another good addition to our farm system that went from piss poor to being ranked in the top 10 in one single offseason.

I don't think you understand just how big of a deal it is to Atlanta fans to get rid of Melvin Upton Jr and not have to pay him a dime.

I was worried we would have to give him the Dan Uggla treatment after this season.

This season will be a complete mystery until it plays out, but for the coming seasons, the Braves have really set themselves up nicely. A revamped farm system and a lot of money to spend.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I can find he is the Padres #4 prospect and the #70 prospect in baseball. Most seem to think he has the ceiling of about a #3 pitcher.

So, you agree. We fucked the Padres in the ass in this trade?

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you agree. We fucked the Padres in the ass in this trade?

No. I think it was a nice trade for Atlanta getting rid of that salary and I don't think closers all all that important, but for SD a closer was needed. They don't care about salary obviously. I think it was a good trade for both sides. I'm not sure I'd call either side a winner over the other.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think it was a nice trade for Atlanta getting rid of that salary and I don't think closers all all that important, but for SD a closer was needed. They don't care about salary obviously. I think it was a good trade for both sides. I'm not sure I'd call either side a winner over the other.

I'll tell you who the winner is.

One team got rid of BJ Upton and got the other team to pay him all of his remaining contract.

The other team now has BJ Upton and they have to pay him and their outfield already has Justin Upton, Matt Kemp and Wil Myers, and BJ is still owed around 45 million for the next 3 seasons, has had his production not slow down, but completely stop the last two years and isn't exactly the best clubhouse guy.

Closers are important, but not that important, especially when you had a former closer as your set up man like the Braves have.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you who the winner is.

One team got rid of BJ Upton and got the other team to pay him all of his remaining contract.

The other team now has BJ Upton and they have to pay him and their outfield already has Justin Upton, Matt Kemp and Wil Myers, and BJ is still owed around 45 million for the next 3 seasons, has had his production not slow down, but completely stop the last two years and isn't exactly the best clubhouse guy.

Closers are important, but not that important, especially when you had a former closer as your set up man like the Braves have.

Exactly which is why it makes sense to both teams. There isn't a salary cap in baseball and the Padres don't care to shell out some money so that salary means nothing to them. They needed a closer and they got it. The Braves needed to dump salary and they did and they got a decent prospect. It was a good trade for both teams.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team blowing up the roster always looks like a loser, but if your gonna rebuild you might as well bite the bullet and blow it all the way, making sure you get top 5 draft picks the next few years.

The hardest part for the Braves will be hitting big with the draft picks.

The Loser here is whoever finishes 2nd in the NL central, cause they almost certainly wont be a WC with the Pads beef up and 2 dregs in the NL east.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea Quentin and Maybin combined were making close to $20M....:wtf:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer jizzed his boxers when he heard about this trade.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres may have had to take on a horrible contract and deal a nice prospect but these trades happen in sports.....and SD acquired something they needed, an elite closer. Let's not forget they filled a need.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is a make or break year for bud black. You figure he's got to deal with LA and San Fran but he's been there awhile and really hasn't proven much.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yall are focusing far too much on Kimbrel. He was a great closer, but he was just a closer.

You should be focusing on how the Braves managed to dump BJ on someone and got their top ranked prospect out of it.

We had got rid of 45% of our strikeouts last season before this trade. Gotta be over 50% now with BJ gone.

but you also got rid of your few above average hitters in the process.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm being realistic...it's a good deal for the Braves since their goal is to shed payroll, but I think you're really overrating Wisler. His 2014 performance was not even remotely good at all.

to be fair, PCL performance should be taken with a grain of salt, and Wisler was ~6 years younger than the rest of the league.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole Braves fire sale seems oddly timed IMO. They're not that far removed from being among the best teams in the NL (2013) and they had a nice core. And then they sign Markakis to such a contract? What?

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think getting a closer was SD's biggest need at all. They will certainly be better with Kimbrel in the 9th and Benoit shifting to the 8th, but they absorbed a lot of future contract $ along with giving up a promising arm (that most analysts I've heard think may be in the rotation for Atlanta this year). The Pads' defense in the outfield and middle infield is their biggest issue.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this trade for Atlanta. They basically received 3 prospects counting the 41st pick, one if which his highly rated, plus netted about $56 mil in salary relief.

The Padres really paid a premium for Kimbrel. Beyond the prospects, they took on an additional $23 mil not including Kimbrel's salary. I really don't think this was the right move for the Padres.

The Padres should have been looking at their infield if they really want to contend, not a guy who will maybe pitch in 60 games.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BJ (aka Melvin) Upton is gone!

Celebration.gif

th

th