• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Padres trade for Kimbrel, Upton; send prospects.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, alright. You make some solid points, I just really thought they could've gotten more for him is all. I don't think it was an awful trade, I just exaggerated with that comment, but when you say the Braves raped them that's where I disagree. I think the next 3-4 years the Padres won big time, but if the Braves use the money saved wisely and make a good draft pick then it could turn out to be a decent return overall.

If we only trade Kimbrel, then yes, we get a bigger haul, but packaging in Melvin Upton Jr, and getting the Pads to eat his contract is worth a lot.

Any Braves fan will miss Kimbrel, but the other piece we sent away makes this trade very much worth it. I was pumped up yesterday with the r*pe comment, the trade will ultimately benefit both teams, but I do think we made a good move both for now and the future.

As much as I cussed John Hart when he first started making moves, I've grown to love what the guy has done.

We were the 29th ranked offense in the Majors last season, so it's not like he was tearing apart some juggernaut. Our farm system was also ranked 29th, we're now ranked in the top 10, and that's after 1 offseason, which is a huge step up.

Do I think we're World Series contenders this year? No. Do I think we're better than most people think this year? Absolutely.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're such a homer. You traded away a closer that could end up challenging Mariano Rivera's save record and be one of the all-time greatest closers just to help get rid of a bad contract? That's awful. Braves got fucked in the ass, hard.

The Padres system was already drained so getting their top pitching prospect isn't saying much. You better hope they NAIL that 41st overall pick or this trade is just awful, awful, awful.

I guess you forgot the part about getting rid of that absolute albatross BJ Upton? Kimbrel was probably going to get dealt at the deadline this year (the likely reason the Braves brought in Grilli and Johnson). Look, I love Kimbrel, but getting someone to take Upton and his horrific contract is simply to good to pass up (especially with the Braves looking to rebuild and compete in 2017 in the new ballpark). Most relievers not named Mariano tend to burn out quickly. Kimbrel may be a HOF closer, but so far he hasn't been the difference in a deep playoff run and I think time will show this to a be far better deal for the Braves. As far as the analysis of many "experts", I am certainly not alone in this opinion.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you forgot the part about getting rid of that absolute albatross BJ Upton? Kimbrel was probably going to get dealt at the deadline this year (the likely reason the Braves brought in Grilli and Johnson). Look, I love Kimbrel, but getting someone to take Upton and his horrific contract is simply to good to pass up (especially with the Braves looking to rebuild and compete in 2017 in the new ballpark). Most relievers not named Mariano tend to burn out quickly. Kimbrel may be a HOF closer, but so far he hasn't been the difference in a deep playoff run and I think time will show this to a be far better deal for the Braves. As far as the analysis of many "experts", I am certainly not alone in this opinion.

Which raises the an interesting question: how much will it take to build a respectable lineup by 2017? Looking at the team right now, the Braves have only one position player (Freeman) who I'd say is better than average offensively at his position. The free agent hitters classes the next two seasons are very weak, so unless there are some stud hitters in the minors that can contribute in the next two year, trades for quality bats would need to be made..and that could put the Braves in the situation that the Padres are in right now, where they might have to take on a bad contract or an albatross player to get a guy they really want especially when the Braves have a middle of the pack farm system where their prospects might not be enough to command good bats on their own.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which raises the an interesting question: how much will it take to build a respectable lineup by 2017? Looking at the team right now, the Braves have only one position player (Freeman) who I'd say is better than average offensively at his position. The free agent hitters classes the next two seasons are very weak, so unless there are some stud hitters in the minors that can contribute in the next two year, trades for quality bats would need to be made..and that could put the Braves in the situation that the Padres are in right now, where they might have to take on a bad contract or an albatross player to get a guy they really want.

Good points. The Braves have accumulated some good young talent with all their trades this off season (and have a few good, young arms in their current rotation). My assumption is they may make some trades to acquire some bats (when Hart thinks the time is right). Good, young pitching is always attractive in trades.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. The Braves have accumulated some good young talent with all their trades this off season (and have a few good, young arms in their current rotation). My assumption is they may make some trades to acquire some bats (when Hart thinks the time is right). Good, young pitching is always attractive in trades.
Basically the reverse of what they did this year...hard to imagine them ever having to live with another albatross contract like Upton's... At least Uggla had one decent year in his shitty contract.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically the reverse of what they did this year...hard to imagine them ever having to live with another albatross contract like Upton's... At least Uggla had one decent year in his shitty contract.

I still can't believe we managed to win the division in 2013 with basically 3 automatic outs in the lineup. Uggla, BJ and the pitcher's spot.

Surely I hope the lesson has been learned.

At least Uggla's numbers in Miami justified his trade and extension, but BJ wasn't producing much in Tampa when we gave him that big contract.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe we managed to win the division in 2013 with basically 3 automatic outs in the lineup. Uggla, BJ and the pitcher's spot.

Surely I hope the lesson has been learned.

At least Uggla's numbers in Miami justified his trade and extension, but BJ wasn't producing much in Tampa when we gave him that big contract.

Kind of makes you think where we'd be if we never signed BJ, Uggla or Derek Lowe. Those 3 signings set us back and held up progress.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's certainly a possibility that they may need to take one of those contracts on to get the right bat in the future, especially if they don't have enough to get that player with just prospects.

Just looking at the Padres, if they had any great prospects to trade, they might've been able to get Kimbrel without taking on Upton. The Braves could be in a similar situation in two years unless they can part with one of their good pitchers (which would be tough to give up).

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Man himself! :clap:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utter filth.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this trade for both teams. The Pads aren't concerned about the money. Especially since they have a big TV deal. What I don't get is the big deal people are making about Preller. It's not like he's making trades other GM's couldn't do. He's given up many of the top prospects in the Padres Organization. I don't have a problem with it because this team was absolutely pathetic offensively last year. Something had to be done to get better. He's also trading players he DID NOT draft. I expect the Padres to let Justin Upton go in the offseason. That will likely be one first round pick coming in return. How quickly Preller rebuilds the farm system is going to be important.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me put how good the Padres pitching is.

Andrew Cashner is #3 in our rotation. He's the ace of 20 other staffs.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kimbrel is unreal. Still upset that the Braves dumped him over to the Padres for virtually nothing.