• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't really say I disagree on the rankings.
Petersen- Has he leveled off or can he take the Huskys to a higher level.
Shaw- Gets then most out of his teams most of the time but they are limited
Chip- will he try the same thing or evolve? He will get better talent but it seems likehis system was built to beat the teams with more talent. Will elite linemen want to play in a system thats not really the best for future NFL players.
Clay- do USC fans treat him like a guy whos only been a head coach for two full seasons and allow him to learn or do they expect him to hold his own because of the talent thats there (that he recruited) and not keep making the same mistakes in gameplaning against elite teams and not holding his coordinators accountable.

Ranking Pac-12 football coaches, from Chris Petersen (best) to Herm Edwards (say what?)
He has been a consistent quantity at HC for a long time. The question isn't has he 'leveled' off IMO, but can he keep raising the level of talent and add higher and higher ranked classes. This class was one of the best the school has had in 20 years in terms of overall depth and the best QB class maybe ever.

I've said for years when you aren't a blue blood like USC you don't reach the level of say Clemson without a long cycle of winning bringing better classes bringing more winning. It doesn't happen overnight. Reaching the playoffs a year ago was premature and really was a by product of that weak schedule and a fairly fortunate year without losing major players to injury as well as USC really not at full stride and Stanford had a slightly down year that year. They don't have the depth to reach that level every year, but their depth is improving each recruiting cycle. The full rewards of even this class won't be felt for at least two years, and they still need to up their classes even more landing some consensus 5*'s and getting more bigger and athletic bodies on the lines if they want to stay in the top 5.

Petersen's coaching hasn't 'leveled' off, but he's only going to take the team as far as his talent level will allow and they still have a ways to go even if it has been trending up consistently since he came here.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been a consistent quantity at HC for a long time. The question isn't has he 'leveled' off IMO, but can he keep raising the level of talent and add higher and higher ranked classes. This class was one of the best the school has had in 20 years in terms of overall depth and the best QB class maybe ever.

I've said for years when you aren't a blue blood like USC you don't reach the level of say Clemson without a long cycle of winning bringing better classes bringing more winning. It doesn't happen overnight. Reaching the playoffs a year ago was premature and really was a by product of that weak schedule and a fairly fortunate year without losing major players to injury as well as USC really not at full stride and Stanford had a slightly down year that year. They don't have the depth to reach that level every year, but their depth is improving each recruiting cycle. The full rewards of even this class won't be felt for at least two years, and they still need to up their classes even more landing some consensus 5*'s and getting more bigger and athletic bodies on the lines if they want to stay in the top 5.

Petersen's coaching hasn't 'leveled' off, but he's only going to take the team as far as his talent level will allow and they still have a ways to go even if it has been trending up consistently since he came here.

He did great so far. Yeah the schedule was favorable and the PAC two seasons ago was ripe for the picking but he won when he had to. The playoff showed the teams really wasn't at that level just like USC getting spanked by Ohio State showed it wasn't at that level.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did great so far. Yeah the schedule was favorable and the PAC two seasons ago was ripe for the picking but he won when he had to. The playoff showed the teams really wasn't at that level just like USC getting spanked by Ohio State showed it wasn't at that level.
Absolutely, but to me the point was the school isn't at the same level as Bama, OSU, etc because they haven't reached the recruiting level necessary to stay up at that level more than anything that appears to be holding them back in coaching. Petersen has always gotten the most out of the kids he has had.

Does he himself have room to grow? Absolutely. Coaching at the elite level is just different. You are going after not only the elite players, but elite staff and have to be willing and able to fire anyone not keeping you elite and accepting the revolving door of staff with everyone coming after them for higher jobs. He will pick up higher caliber players if his teams keep winning and staying in the national conversation, but his OKG stuff for sure reduces the overall pool of players he will be in on. Can he update and adjust to the landscape top programs are in vs the comfort zone of where he came from in coaching?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it happens, it happens. USC went completely overkill with DT recruiting the past two years so it’s getting really tight on that roster. I get it that if you want to win conf champ games and face competition like tOSU and Bama, you better have high talent freak sized beef on the lines. Those programs are filled with rosters of all 5 and 4 Stars, especially the trenches. But USC loaded up on that side a bit heavy, and they already got issues with Scholy limits approaching LOI. They shoved a couple of verbals out the door last month to free up some room, but it’s still tight right now.

Combine that with their DL coach interviewing for a NFL job this week not helping either now.

We’ll see. It’s hard to get any west coast poly kid whose been offered by USC to go elsewhere.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does UW have any open slots themselves? Presumably they already know if Eason is really coming to campus, but that might take up a slot. They had 19 LOI already? With Gaskin and Gains staying in school, exactly how many slots did they have to offer?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does UW have any open slots themselves? Presumably they already know if Eason is really coming to campus, but that might take up a slot. They had 19 LOI already? With Gaskin and Gains staying in school, exactly how many slots did they have to offer?

Coach Pete did say after the early period there could be one or two more signings....

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Pete did say after the early period there could be one or two more signings....
That was also before Gaskin had made his decision to stay and I can't remember if it was before we knew Gaines was staying. We didn't know exactly how many slots they would have until then. I know we have a few of our fan base that are far deeper into recruiting than I am and just wondered if any of them had an exact number. If Eason is coming that's 20 new scholarships. Exactly how many would they be able to take after that?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something can be done and will be done if this kid decides to flip.

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something can be done and will be done if this kid decides to flip.
Yeah, it's being Sabanized. Otherwise known as processed. He's very good at it. Y'all should give him a call.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. We’re still under the limit right now. And there’s gonna be a bunch of senior attrition after this season, so Huskies are in a perfect spot right now. Next years class will be a big one by Petersen standards. And we won’t have to worry about the QB position and pretty set at WR as well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay- do USC fans treat him like a guy whos only been a head coach for two full seasons and allow him to learn or do they expect him to hold his own because of the talent thats there (that he recruited) and not keep making the same mistakes in gameplaning against elite teams and not holding his coordinators accountable.

Agree with this. I like Clay and want him to remain as HC. But he's got to start getting in the ass of his assistants more. Sometimes he sticks up for them and looks stupid doing it. I understand him not wanting to throw his guys under the bus, but sometimes you have to call them out.

He doesn't have to go full Saban on them, but there's nothing wrong with setting a standard, demanding it's reached and calling them out when it isn't.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with this. I like Clay and want him to remain as HC. But he's got to start getting in the ass of his assistants more. Sometimes he sticks up for them and looks stupid doing it. I understand him not wanting to throw his guys under the bus, but sometimes you have to call them out.

He doesn't have to go full Saban on them, but there's nothing wrong with setting a standard, demanding it's reached and calling them out when it isn't.

Yupppp. I wanna thow something at the TV sometimes when he gets interviewed after a game where there's no way the other teams should have been close . He says things like that other team is really tough and they have a lot of talent , they played their hearts out and he's happy to come out with a win. He needs to be pissed when the team looks like shit even though they won. Especially when he has a big advantage in talent.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. We’re still under the limit right now. And there’s gonna be a bunch of senior attrition after this season, so Huskies are in a perfect spot right now. Next years class will be a big one by Petersen standards. And we won’t have to worry about the QB position and pretty set at WR as well.

Yeah next year is some where between 22-26 available for scholarships I believe...

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always have to worry about the QB position.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yupppp. I wanna thow something at the TV sometimes when he gets interviewed after a game where there's no way the other teams should have been close . He says things like that other team is really tough and they have a lot of talent , they played their hearts out and he's happy to come out with a win. He needs to be pissed when the team looks like shit even though they won. Especially when he has a big advantage in talent.

I don't mind him praising the other team. All coaches do that. But I agree that I'd like to see him at least acknowledge that they "didn't play well," "have a lot of work to do," "as coaches, we didn't have them prepared well enough," or any other number of coach speak terms meaning we played like shit and are lucky to have won.

Hell, just watch any Saban post game interview no matter how much they won by and borrow some of that. lol

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not anymore. They just gave a scholly to a walk-on kicker and the last slot is most likely going to Julies Irvin (Safety) which means once again that worthless fvkn Hawaiian DL coach struck out on getting us some Poly DT's. If that fvk doesn't start producing on the recruiting trail then his ass needs to be kicked to the curb.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not anymore. They just gave a scholly to a walk-on kicker and the last slot is most likely going to Julies Irvin (Safety) which means once again that worthless fvkn Hawaiian DL coach struck out on getting us some Poly DT's. If that fvk doesn't start producing on the recruiting trail then his ass needs to be kicked to the curb.
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif