• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our biggest need now?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shea in no way shape or form fit Lovie,s def. Rod did not use or want him. Sorry but he is pure 100% Emorys pick. Emory has been great everywhere but the draft room. His drafting in the 1st rd has been a huge swing and a miss so far.

I think you mean; "In the draft room DEFENSIVELY".

Offensively, he's hit big with virtually every swing he's taken.

He's drafted five offensive players.

Kyle Long - 1st RD (2013)
Alshon Jeffery - 2nd RD (2012)
Jordan Mills - 5th RD (2013)
Evan Rodriguez - 5th RD (2012)
Marquess Wilson - 7th RD (2013)

Long, Jeffery, and Mills all look like grade A picks at the moment. Marquess Wilson has a hell of a lot of upside for 7th round pick, and has most Bears fans optimistic about him heading into an expanded role this season. E-Rod, well... he made some mistakes off of the field that led to his release. He was fine for a year as our FB/H-Back. Only a 5th round pick, after all.

The way I look at it, Emery swings big. When he sees something he likes, he goes after it. Regardless of the common opinion surrounding that players value, etc... He swung big and connected with Long and Jeffery. Swung hard and missed with Shea. 2 for 3 thus far when swinging for the fences. And a big two at that. Then throw Mills on top of that, who arguably performed better than Long. I mean, those three guys are HUUUGE reasons for our offensive success last year.

I admit, I believe Shea and Bostic may have been mistakes. However, Emery rebuilt this offense in a matter of two off-seasons. I have absolute faith he can do the same with our D.

Long, Jeffery, and Mills look like grade A picks right now.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a bad seed is a bad seed

... we do have competition. We have multiple punters on the roster.

Competition between bad punters will result in a bad punter. It doesn't cost a dime to bring multiple punters into camp

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shea in no way shape or form fit Lovie,s def. Rod did not use or want him. Sorry but he is pure 100% Emorys pick. Emory has been great everywhere but the draft room. His drafting in the 1st rd has been a huge swing and a miss so far.

Just saying what I read. I believe found that article @ Windy City Gridiron.
Just can't remember who wrote it. Going back to the ESPN days I searched for that Damn article for hours.
I think it was Pompie or Brad Briggs who wrote it. Anyway it was Bears beat reporter who witnessed the work out.
Believe what you want. And I'll do the same.:suds:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Competition between bad punters will result in a bad punter. It doesn't cost a dime to bring multiple punters into camp

Who the hell said they're bad punters? You're just running in circles with this argument.

They were both elite level punters in college. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE HERE. Emery hasn't just looked over the position. He's brought in two guys he feels can make the team better, and they'll both work hard and fight for the job.

I just don't understand why you're being so difficult about this. 99% of NFL pro bowl punters were once undrafted free agents fighting for a job. A serviceable punter is not that hard to find. Hell, we've had one bad season of punting since what? The 90's? Just give it a rest dude.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steelers have officially waived Drew Butler and*signed Zoltan Mesko. Drew Butler won the battle against veteran punter Brian Moorman, but the team apparently wanted to wait to find a different veteran punter via the waiver wire. Out of 77 attempts for Butler last year, 6 were touchbacks and 26 were inside the 20.

There is always a reason why an ELITE PUNTER had been released. The only argument I have to make is we need more competition. What the hell can it hurt? Not a fucking thing.......yeah punters are a dime a dozen.......but I would rather have a great one than a good to bad one

Read more~*Steelers Waive Drew Butler - TheSteelersFans

Who the hell said they're bad punters? You're just running in circles with this argument.

They were both elite level punters in college. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE HERE. Emery hasn't just looked over the position. He's brought in two guys he feels can make the team better, and they'll both work hard and fight for the job.

I just don't understand why you're being so difficult about this. 99% of NFL pro bowl punters were once undrafted free agents fighting for a job. A serviceable punter is not that hard to find. Hell, we've had one bad season of punting since what? The 90's? Just give it a rest dude.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I think you mean; "In the draft room DEFENSIVELY".

Offensively, he's hit big with virtually every swing he's taken.

He's drafted five offensive players.

Kyle Long - 1st RD (2013)
Alshon Jeffery - 2nd RD (2012)
Jordan Mills - 5th RD (2013)
Evan Rodriguez - 5th RD (2012)
Marquess Wilson - 7th RD (2013)

Long, Jeffery, and Mills all look like grade A picks at the moment. Marquess Wilson has a hell of a lot of upside for 7th round pick, and has most Bears fans optimistic about him heading into an expanded role this season. E-Rod, well... he made some mistakes off of the field that led to his release. He was fine for a year as our FB/H-Back. Only a 5th round pick, after all.

The way I look at it, Emery swings big. When he sees something he likes, he goes after it. Regardless of the common opinion surrounding that players value, etc... He swung big and connected with Long and Jeffery. Swung hard and missed with Shea. 2 for 3 thus far when swinging for the fences. And a big two at that. Then throw Mills on top of that, who arguably performed better than Long. I mean, those three guys are HUUUGE reasons for our offensive success last year.

I admit, I believe Shea and Bostic may have been mistakes. However, Emery rebuilt this offense in a matter of two off-seasons. I have absolute faith he can do the same with our D.

Long, Jeffery, and Mills look like grade A picks right now.

You make a decent point, although some caveats. One I would call mills grade b, not a, at this point. Two, we don't have any basis for evaluating Wilson aside from fan excitement. Three, Jeffery, a hit no doubt, also cost us a third rounder for which we got nothing by trading it away. Lastly, long looks like a hit, but again, we took him higher than necessary (and clearly could have taken the falcons third rounder as they traded up right after us with a third), so that has to be considered.

But you are right pointing out he has drafted better in offense than defense. I'd say defensively so far he is a d minus, I'd say offense he gets a b+.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious If he plays well @ LB . How many would call that a bust pick?

I didnt agree with them calling him a DE.

The bust part is not shea, its DE. They could have taken Chandler Jones or Whitney Mercilus. In two years, Jones has 17.5 sacks. I think he played some tight end in college, so he was drafted for a different position too. Mercilus has 13 sacks over his first two years, all three of them are small sized defensive ends. Shea has 6.5 sacks. I think two or three were the one game against rodgers, most of the others were the .5 sack variety where he didnt do it himself.

I have confidence he will be a better lb than de, but thats not hard to do with his first two years.

I am gonna be happier if Emery drafts a DT to be a DT and a DE to be a DE and a CB to be a CB or safety to be a safety, with no more of these, this guy is an NFL whatever, those are the ones that have not worked well.

As far as Jeffrey and long, yeah they were swings and home runs. Both could have easily been busts, with long only playing 5 college games and if Alshon was not on the field with Marshall getting double coverage he might not be as big a win either. His misses have all been defensive misses, and thats what we need the most.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, he hasn't been J/A bad in the draft to this point. Would I have liked Chandler Jones instead of Shea... Yes. But, picking up MIlls in the 5th? Stealing Alshon in the second round, brilliant moves. Not everyone you draft is going to hit and at least so far, everyone he has drafted hasn't been a bust, ala J/A (for the most part).

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt agree with them calling him a DE.

The bust part is not shea, its DE. They could have taken Chandler Jones or Whitney Mercilus. In two years, Jones has 17.5 sacks. I think he played some tight end in college, so he was drafted for a different position too. Mercilus has 13 sacks over his first two years, all three of them are small sized defensive ends. Shea has 6.5 sacks. I think two or three were the one game against rodgers, most of the others were the .5 sack variety where he didnt do it himself.

I have confidence he will be a better lb than de, but thats not hard to do with his first two years.

I am gonna be happier if Emery drafts a DT to be a DT and a DE to be a DE and a CB to be a CB or safety to be a safety, with no more of these, this guy is an NFL whatever, those are the ones that have not worked well.

As far as Jeffrey and long, yeah they were swings and home runs. Both could have easily been busts, with long only playing 5 college games and if Alshon was not on the field with Marshall getting double coverage he might not be as big a win either. His misses have all been defensive misses, and thats what we need the most.

Besides the injured CB (hardin) he drafted to play safety & and Shea ( who I still think was a Rod pick) . He hasn't fared to badly w/ the D side. Both the 6th & 7th rd CBs (though we cut the 7th rder I believe he was starting for Cleveland when we played them), he chose are still in the league . Washington is still in the league.
Just think his focus was on the O side. We needed a lot of help there.
Can't wait to see what he does for our D.
And who knows Shea might turn out to be a decent LB.
That would leave Hardin as his only bust pick.
The Lbs he chose , he had to they were the best available. At a position of dire need. Don't know if any LB made name for himself coming out of that draft.
I have faith in Phil. He'll get it done.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he hasn't been J/A bad in the draft to this point. Would I have liked Chandler Jones instead of Shea... Yes. But, picking up MIlls in the 5th? Stealing Alshon in the second round, brilliant moves. Not everyone you draft is going to hit and at least so far, everyone he has drafted hasn't been a bust, ala J/A (for the most part).

I agree.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT isn't a major priority right now . Would love to see them get the BPA , no matter the position @ 14. Even if it's TE. Not wishing for 1 (TE) , but we could use a certifiable BU for Bennet. Just saying I want the best guy available @ 14. Just hoping Pryor or Gilbert are there. DT can be had in rd 2 or later.
But if a DT is the BPA @ 14, you grab him.:suds:

Any position but a te...........

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any position but a te...........

Was just using TE as an example. Though we could use another pass catching threat there.
I agree not @ 14.
Really want the best D player available.
But if a stud O guy magically falls to us, I'd have to think twice.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think there are alot of good players in this draft but we really need to tough it out and get a solid DT.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a decent point, although some caveats. One I would call mills grade b, not a, at this point. Two, we don't have any basis for evaluating Wilson aside from fan excitement. Three, Jeffery, a hit no doubt, also cost us a third rounder for which we got nothing by trading it away. Lastly, long looks like a hit, but again, we took him higher than necessary (and clearly could have taken the falcons third rounder as they traded up right after us with a third), so that has to be considered.

But you are right pointing out he has drafted better in offense than defense. I'd say defensively so far he is a d minus, I'd say offense he gets a b+.

Well, when I talk about Mills. I'm more referring to the fact that he was a 5th round pick, started every single game, and was a huge bright spot on our O-line. A lot of people feel he outplayed Long.

When a 5th rounder starts 16 games and shines like he did. Showing improvement throughout the season. I kind of consider that an A. IDK... I see both sides.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just using TE as an example. Though we could use another pass catching threat there.
I agree not @ 14.
Really want the best D player available.
But if a stud O guy magically falls to us, I'd have to think twice.

This I knew......I should`ve worded my post differently.sorry

and I definetley agree with the rest of this post.

Now say a qb fell to us at 14.............Would we pass that one up?

That would be the question.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steelers have officially waived Drew Butler and*signed Zoltan Mesko. Drew Butler won the battle against veteran punter Brian Moorman, but the team apparently wanted to wait to find a different veteran punter via the waiver wire. Out of 77 attempts for Butler last year, 6 were touchbacks and 26 were inside the 20.

There is always a reason why an ELITE PUNTER had been released. The only argument I have to make is we need more competition. What the hell can it hurt? Not a fucking thing.......yeah punters are a dime a dozen.......but I would rather have a great one than a good to bad one

Read more~*Steelers Waive Drew Butler - TheSteelersFans

Yeah, Leo... that's how the NFL works. Punters bounce around... A LOT. Especially early. It's a tough gig to land. No one is drafted, and they're all paid the same.

Fortunately, it's not hard to find a serviceable or even a good one.

This is fucking nonsense. Robbie Gould was waived by teams in the beginning too. He was unemployed and working construction during what should have been the beginning of his NFL career.

You're honestly a strange poster. You pick weird battles, you pick an angle, stick to it no matter what, post strange counter arguments, and you NEVER EVER let it go. EVER. You think soley in black and white terms. You're wrong a lot of the time, yet you only bring up times when you were a fraction of the way correct, you then greatly exaggerate how correct you were, and then pretend like you're a god damned genius.

Last edited by a moderator:

jooo83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT isn't a major priority right now . Would love to see them get the BPA , no matter the position @ 14. Even if it's TE. Not wishing for 1 (TE) , but we could use a certifiable BU for Bennet. Just saying I want the best guy available @ 14. Just hoping Pryor or Gilbert are there. DT can be had in rd 2 or later.
But if a DT is the BPA @ 14, you grab him.:suds:

It clearly is. The Bears currently have 3 DTs. 2 are not difference makers and the other is up there in age.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Leo... that's how the NFL works. Punters bounce around... A LOT. Especially early. It's a tough gig to land. No one is drafted, and they're all paid the same.

Fortunately, it's not hard to find a serviceable or even a good one.

This is fucking nonsense. Robbie Gould was waived by teams in the beginning too. He was unemployed and working construction during what should have been the beginning of his NFL career.

You're honestly a strange poster. You pick weird battles, you pick an angle, stick to it no matter what, post strange counter arguments, and you NEVER EVER let it go. EVER. You think soley in black and white terms. You're wrong a lot of the time, yet you only bring up times when you were a fraction of the way correct, you then greatly exaggerate how correct you were, and then pretend like you're a god damned genius.

Please prove anything you say.:lame:....except that I'm a GOD damned Genius.......that is obvious:agree:

Its not a battle. I would rather see some competition between good punters than bad ones. You can never have too much competition in camp. Its cost nothing and you usually get the better player, not always, but usually. Competition is healthy and its a big part of Phil plan. Get over yourself there rich and think outside your box.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cubzzzfanincali

It clearly is. The Bears currently have 3 DTs. 2 are not difference makers and the other is up there in age.

Depending on how you do the math, the Bears have like 5 pass rushing down capable DTs but only 3 everyday down DTs to deal with run stopping. Yeah, we need another on our roster, but remember that Houston and Idonije can come over.

I'm guessing that of the "3 Bears DTs" that you mean Ratliff, Collins, and Paea. Ignoring that Houston really belongs as a classic 4-3 3-tech DT based on his build, which of those three do you not consider difference makers? Paea and Collins I am guessing, but please make it clear.