• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moments earlier...

giphy.gif

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @Darkstone42, two questions.

1st: How are you?

2nd: Its an old addage that its easier to hit home runs in the summer. Stats seem to support that. Why is that? Wouldn't the ball carry better in cooler drier air? A lot of the US (and Guatemala) has high humidity when it gets hotter, at least normally.

So would that have an effect on the way the balls carries? Positive or negative?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2nd: Its an old addage that its easier to hit home runs in the summer. Stats seem to support that. Why is that? Wouldn't the ball carry better in cooler drier air? A lot of the US (and Guatemala) has high humidity when it gets hotter, at least normally.

So would that have an effect on the way the balls carries? Positive or negative?

I'm doing fine, thank you.

Higher air temperature means lower air density, which means less drag, ergo more carry and more dingers. Elevation and humidity can have their own effects, but if we normalize for those (and each ballpark normalizes for elevation entirely, and does a decent job with humidity, at least isolating a range), each 10 degrees F adds 2.5 feet of carry, and that increases home run probability by nearly 10%.

How Much Effect Does Temperature Have On Home Runs – Diamond Kinetics

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm no scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once - The following graphic is quite illuminating.

MolecularDensity.png

Since warmer air is less dense than colder air, there should be less resistance for the baseball allowing it to travel further and thereby turning a can of corn in late April into a tater in early August.

Edit: Confirmed by DS above :D

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Higher air temperature means lower air density, which means less drag, ergo more carry and more dingers. Elevation and humidity can have their own effects, but if we normalize for those (and each ballpark normalizes for elevation entirely, and does a decent job with humidity, at least isolating a range), each 10 degrees F adds 2.5 feet of carry, and that increases home run probability by nearly 10%.

more importantly ... bat flips reach higher heights ... amirite?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once - The following graphic is quite illuminating.

MolecularDensity.png

Since warmer air is less dense than colder air, there should be less resistance for the baseball allowing it to travel further and thereby turning a can of corn in late April into a tater in early August.

I didnt ask you!

Thank you. I understand that higher air temperatures mean less density. I have been on a hot air balloon. Not really but I have seen them. Well pictures of them. I guess I just thought humidity would play larger role. I can barely make it to the mailbox on humid days.

Thank you, have a nice nice.

Dash, I hope your dinner is burnt on the outside and cold on the inside!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nicely quirky, that's comeds :D

Friendly or not, Baltimore locals impressed readers as being nicely quirky. And while Baltimore has seen its share of turmoil lately, it still works hard to keep its nickname of Charm City

The 15 Unfriendliest Cities in America

Last edited:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow. I would have bet my last dollar that more home runs are hit in the summer because that's when baseball is played.

nicely quirky, that's comeds :D

Friendly or not, Baltimore locals impressed readers as being nicely quirky. And while Baltimore has seen its share of turmoil lately, it still works hard to keep its nickname of Charm City

The 15 Unfriendliest Cities in America

I do my part!

I would like to point out that Baltimore has been more unfriendly and more quirky since I left.

I was the glue that held that place together.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a hilarious response to be honest and you were right, you didn't ask me :D
My last post was supposed to have this attached but it didn't take. Sadly the smokestack says Baltimore but you can't see that...I need to take better photos going 50 mph.
20170803_220239.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.