• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: 2018 Winter Olympics

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has enjoyed these Olympics more than Gary Bettman. He's going to leverage this with the players, with the IOC and with NBC when TV rights renewals come up. And like you say, he wants to go to China anyway so this is all just cherries on top of the dim sum.

tumblr_m6syvvbp6e1qcq43jo1_500.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I think Bettman now has more leverage. The gold medal game here will now feature the Germans and a team from a country that isnt even allowed to fly its flag. TV Ratings in North America were in the tank already and theres a palpable feeling that its made these entire Olympics less of an event than they have been in the past.

I think the NHL wants to go to Beijing moreso than they wanted to go to Korea. They will be ok with playing in the middle of the night since they will be primetime playing in a country of 1.5 billion AS LONG AS they get paid for it

I am not convinced the two are related. I don't know if there is any way to check ratings of all possible views. I know I personally have watched more online than on TV. So it would stand to reason that the TV ratings would be down. Why would I watch a 4 hour broadcast that is 3.5 hours of commercials and soft focus fuzzy stories about the guy who is about to go out there and fall on his face when I can fire up an app and watch the actual event?

And yes, any games held half a world away is going to suffer on TV here in North America. The events are happening live at a time when everyone is asleep here, and with the Internet you know the results the next morning. It's not like them holding off televising the 1980 Russia/USA game until prime time and no one knew what happened when it aired. There's no incentive to wait until prime time to watch. And very few people care enough to stay up and watch live.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody has enjoyed these Olympics more than Gary Bettman. He's going to leverage this with the players, with the IOC and with NBC when TV rights renewals come up. And like you say, he wants to go to China anyway so this is all just cherries on top of the dim sum.

Bettman and China go together like lamb and tuna fish.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping that Rene Bourque was going to be the flag bearer for Canada after a hat trick performance in the gold medal game :D

/Give it to Ted-Jan Bloemen :thumb:
//Or Mark McMorris

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping that Rene Bourque was going to be the flag bearer for Canada after a hat trick performance in the gold medal game :D

/Give it to Ted-Jan Bloemen :thumb:
//Or Mark McMorris

Moir double fisting beer walking next to Virtue holding the flag

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not convinced the two are related. I don't know if there is any way to check ratings of all possible views. I know I personally have watched more online than on TV. So it would stand to reason that the TV ratings would be down. Why would I watch a 4 hour broadcast that is 3.5 hours of commercials and soft focus fuzzy stories about the guy who is about to go out there and fall on his face when I can fire up an app and watch the actual event?

And yes, any games held half a world away is going to suffer on TV here in North America. The events are happening live at a time when everyone is asleep here, and with the Internet you know the results the next morning. It's not like them holding off televising the 1980 Russia/USA game until prime time and no one knew what happened when it aired. There's no incentive to wait until prime time to watch. And very few people care enough to stay up and watch live.

good point about the ratings (tv versus online) but i still think the nhl'ers not being there, at least in canada (which probably doesnt mean anything in the grand scheme of things - lol) and at least before the games started, made for zero buzz for the olympics

seemed like 2 fridays ago everyone was like ... oh yah ... the olympics are on

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I got a kick out of the sayings on his apron which included the following:

• Wok & Roll
  • Wokking My Baby Back Home
  • Danger, Yan at Wok
  • Wok Around the Clock
  • Wok the Heck
  • You Are Wok You Eat
  • Wok Goes up Must Come Down
  • Wok's New, Pussycat?
  • Wokkey Night in Canada
  • Stuck Between a Wok and a Hard Place
  • Raiders of The Lost Wok
  • Eat Your Wok Out