• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: 2018 Winter Olympics

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh.

I was thinking of this one

Yan Can Cook - Wikipedia

wow ... never saw that one ... dude ripped off Stephen Yans shtick!!! ... hope they had a kung foo fight to declare the one true real Yan

/

images

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping that Rene Bourque was going to be the flag bearer for Canada after a hat trick performance in the gold medal game :D

/Give it to Ted-Jan Bloemen :thumb:
//Or Mark McMorris

Anyone but Derek Roy.

good point about the ratings (tv versus online) but i still think the nhl'ers not being there, at least in canada (which probably doesnt mean anything in the grand scheme of things - lol) and at least before the games started, made for zero buzz for the olympics

seemed like 2 fridays ago everyone was like ... oh yah ... the olympics are on

I don't think non-participation made that much of a difference in the way the Olympics were covered down here. NBC's most important Olympic Sport is over-hyping everyone and doing features on the back story of each athlete and their struggles. I don't remember them doing many of those on NHL stars last time out.

For example, they spent an awful lot of production on Nathan Chen (not pictured in an apron above) and each time they showed the spot, he faceplanted in his next routine.

And as for me personally, I am glad there are no NHL players in it. Would be nice if the "no pro athletes" thing was still in effect. But what can ya do?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think non-participation made that much of a difference in the way the Olympics were covered down here. NBC's most important Olympic Sport is over-hyping everyone and doing features on the back story of each athlete and their struggles. I don't remember them doing many of those on NHL stars last time out.

Yeah, the top sports for US viewers at the Games are snowboard halfpipe, figure skating, and alpine skiing.

Frankly, I think the hockey is too drawn out. Round robin for seeding only? What a waste of time. If they had more nations participating and did it all as a single elimination tourney I think it would be more interesting.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone but Derek Roy.

For example, they spent an awful lot of production on Nathan Chen (not pictured in an apron above) and each time they showed the spot, he faceplanted in his next routine.

And as for me personally, I am glad there are no NHL players in it. Would be nice if the "no pro athletes" thing was still in effect. But what can ya do?

in terms of coverage up here, Id say it made a huge difference. CBC sent a very small crew of broadcasters. For the hockey panel, they had Greg Buttons (?), PJ Stock (??) and Alexei Yashin (???)

In the past they would send their national nightly news guys as day or nighttime "hosts" of the broadcasts. This time around they had the brother of snow board competitor Mark McMorris, Craig, who has very limited broadcasting experience doing overtime lol

TSN radios nightly cross canada olympics feed was Westwood Ones (USA) coverage

When TSN radio broadcast the mens and womens hockey games on radio cross country it was off a tv monitor out of the tsn1040 studios in Vancouver ... I couldnt imagine them doing this if NHL'ers were competing

Now this is also generally a function of the CBC, TSN and Rogers completely cutting back on costs en masse but they seemed to throw up their hands without mens hockey and say fuck it who cares ... what can we put together with a couple thousand bucks lol

/if they are not gonna have the pros they should have the juniors play every 4 years imo ... thats the closest facsimile to an amateur hockey player ... Ive had enough of Mason Raymond for one lifetime lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another thing cbc did was basically say fuck it to "exploring" the local cultural/social scene ... they used to always do vignettes about the host city that were interesting ... again ... they said fuck it this time around lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snowboard slalom is a fun sport to watch.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap !

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the bobsled and the US uniforms have me completely triggered. It's the first time I've ever been triggered about anything, we used to just call it getting pissed off. But I'm here with my cold beers watching all these people go sledding on ice. And they're all wearing tight form fitting body suits. Obvious right? I mean they're in freezing cold weather so they don't want too much warmth. And they are exposed to wind and friction for the entire 3 yards they have to sprint. But I'm actually ok with it, because it does look like a tight squeeze in that small sled. Maybe the tights help them fit in the sled somehow.

But then they zoom out, and these cocksuckers are wearing Capri pants with their body suit. It's like one team decided they V vould save some real weight and greatly improve their athletic performance if their tights all ended just 4 inches shorter. I mean collectively among 4 people with 2 legs each that hadd got to add up to at least an ounce of fabric. Plus think of how much faster they'll be able to run without that spandex restricting their lower calves.

Fuck! I don't know why this pisses me off so much, but I'm seriously upset.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the bobsled and the US uniforms have me completely triggered. It's the first time I've ever been triggered about anything, we used to just call it getting pissed off. But I'm here with my cold beers watching all these people go sledding on ice. And they're all wearing tight form fitting body suits. Obvious right? I mean they're in freezing cold weather so they don't want too much warmth. And they are exposed to wind and friction for the entire 3 yards they have to sprint. But I'm actually ok with it, because it does look like a tight squeeze in that small sled. Maybe the tights help them fit in the sled somehow.

But then they zoom out, and these cocksuckers are wearing Capri pants with their body suit. It's like one team decided they V vould save some real weight and greatly improve their athletic performance if their tights all ended just 4 inches shorter. I mean collectively among 4 people with 2 legs each that hadd got to add up to at least an ounce of fabric. Plus think of how much faster they'll be able to run without that spandex restricting their lower calves.

Fuck! I don't know why this pisses me off so much, but I'm seriously upset.
giphy.gif

Reactions: gob

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Also, I got a kick out of the sayings on his apron which included the following:

• Wok & Roll
  • Wokking My Baby Back Home
  • Danger, Yan at Wok
  • Wok Around the Clock
  • Wok the Heck
  • You Are Wok You Eat
  • Wok Goes up Must Come Down
  • Wok's New, Pussycat?
  • Wokkey Night in Canada
  • Stuck Between a Wok and a Hard Place
  • Raiders of The Lost Wok
  • Eat Your Wok Out
  • Moon Wok
  • Jailhouse Wok
  • Superior Wokmanship
  • Wok-A-Doodle-Doo
  • Wok Before You Run
  • Wok Me Amadeus
  • Wok up Little Suzie
  • Wok Don't Run

whenever I open a just-finished dishwasher, i wave at the steam and say "HOORRY SMOKE!!" and laugh my friggin ass off.
my kid enjoys it, but my wife just thinks I'm a massive idiot.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
oh yeah, Buttman today said that he would be happy to see the NHL players in the Olympics. the Summer Olympics.
and reminded the history buffs that hockey was in the 1920 Summer games.