• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True it is a gamble and if they don't get healthy it is a wasted year. WIth that said I don't see those California teams holding that long so the Knights could easily sneak back in.

No matter what will be very curious how they make this all work next season.
SJ is getting crazy production from Meier, Hertl and Couture. Eklund's starting his rookie season off alright. They're getting goaltending from Reimer. Karlsson's playing well. And who knows, maybe Evander Kane comes back, makes amends and scores on a 30 goal pace to put them over the top. Could see them running with this long enough to get in behind the two AB teams.

LA is much more iffy unless Cal runs with the crease and gets better as the season goes on.

But for me Vegas' biggest problem isn't their forwards, they'll all get back eventually. It's the crease. Lehner's got a .905 sv%. If they're going to get by for the next while on their defensive abilities they need him to be much better.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ is getting crazy production from Meier, Hertl and Couture. Eklund's starting his rookie season off alright. They're getting goaltending from Reimer. Karlsson's playing well. And who knows, maybe Evander Kane comes back, makes amends and scores on a 30 goal pace to put them over the top. Could see them running with this long enough to get in behind the two AB teams.

LA is much more iffy unless Cal runs with the crease and gets better as the season goes on.

But for me Vegas' biggest problem isn't their forwards, they'll all get back eventually. It's the crease. Lehner's got a .905 sv%. If they're going to get by for the next while on their defensive abilities they need him to be much better.
Great point about SJ, question is that production sustainable, and how long will Reimer actually be a good goaltender?
Truly think at some point Reimer will come back to reality and Lehner will get better.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it seems apparent now that the Sabres were using the Flames to drive up the price for Eichel. The only bad thing about this deal is if Eichel returns to form, that's McDavid and Eichel in the same division as Calgary.
Me forgetting Vancouver is that same division

Not Funny Laughing GIF

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they have no Stone and no Eichel, a few more injuries and I'm not sure the playoffs are in the cards for Vegas. Their division kinda looks like ass though so they might squeak in.

EDIT: Appears Stone isn't out as long term as I thought. Still don't think they are that good this year.

I hate these all-in sencieros because they always come at a huge cost. Someone can quote me

In 10 years T-mobile arena is going to be bare because their great ride will be over.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point about SJ, question is that production sustainable, and how long will Reimer actually be a good goaltender?
Truly think at some point Reimer will come back to reality and Lehner will get better.
Interesting quirk about Reimer, he tends to play pretty well in his first season with teams. His sv%'s from his first seasons in Toronto, Florida and Carolina are .921, .920 & .914.

The Sharks do have cap space and picks to get an upgrade if needed later on, though they did give up their 2022 second rounder for the rights to Adin Hill and he's been pretty bad early on. Could also use those for an upgrade elsewhere.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree that Lehner is the biggest question mark for Vegas. And I don't know if I'd have confidence in Reimer to hold it together for a full playoff run.

Just so happens that the Jackets can help either one shore that up.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate these all-in sencieros because they always come at a huge cost. Someone can quote me

In 10 years T-mobile arena is going to be bare because their great ride will be over.
Yeah but if they have a Cup banner hanging who cares?

They still have their two most recent first round picks anyway. They haven't developed anybody worth a shit in the later rounds other than Nic Hague but he looks pretty good and the last few drafts have kinda been shit in the later rounds anyway so I'm not holding that against them.

Their fans may lose interest someday but if your current management aren't doing everything they can do to win now with the talent they have on their roster I'd say they need new management.

/This trade is also incredibly lopsided and if Eichel comes back and plays well but Vegas sucks they can probably trade him for double what they gave up for him lol

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They still have their two most recent first round picks anyway. They haven't developed anybody worth a shit in the later rounds other than Nic Hague but he looks pretty good and the last few drafts have kinda been shit in the later rounds anyway so I'm not holding that against them.

Their fans may lose interest someday but if your current management aren't doing everything they can do to win now with the talent they have on their roster I'd say they need new management.

/This trade is also incredibly lopsided and if Eichel comes back and plays well but Vegas sucks they can probably trade him for double what they gave up for him lol

They will have a banner but at what cost?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus, even if the locals stop buying tickets, Vegas will never have to worry about playing to an empty building. Comp tickets, people paying to go to the show and traveling fans will put butts in the seats. Vegas doesn't need a cup to engage fans and survive long term.

So why not just go for it? Their safety net is better than teams like mine and say Florida or Minny.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you Darren Rovell?

No. I'm been making this point to Rams fans in the NFL section.

You guys are taking a risk going all in because you are competing with teams like Carolina and Tampa. So winning it all is not a sure thing.

But what is sure that your going to be shit in the future because all of your picks and all of your good prospects are on other teams

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I'm been making this point to Rams fans in the NFL section.

You guys are taking a risk going all in because you are competing with teams like Carolina and Tampa. So winning it all is not a sure thing.

But what is sure that your going to be shit in the future because all of your picks and all of your good prospects are on other teams
Every team is going to be shit in the future. No team is going to stay good forever.

Prospects are just that, prospects. Some turn into good players, fewer great players. Most turn into nothing and then fans ask "why didn't we trade him when his value was higher?!". When you have a chance to move lottery tickets for one of the best players in the game you do it. When the cost is this cheap (again, I'm not sure what Vegas gave up here that's going to plunge them into a black hole) you don't even really have to think about it.

And if the end result is a Cup win, who the hell cares what happens in 4 years anyway? What else are we here for? Sustained playoff appearances with early-round exits followed by "re-tooling" and rinse repeat? In that case go cheer for the Sharks.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team is going to be shit in the future. No team is going to stay good forever.

Prospects are just that, prospects. Some turn into good players, fewer great players. Most turn into nothing and then fans ask "why didn't we trade him when his value was higher?!". When you have a chance to move lottery tickets for one of the best players in the game you do it. When the cost is this cheap (again, I'm not sure what Vegas gave up here that's going to plunge them into a black hole) you don't even really have to think about it.

And if the end result is a Cup win, who the hell cares what happens in 4 years anyway? What else are we here for? Sustained playoff appearances with early-round exits followed by "re-tooling" and rinse repeat? In that case go cheer for the Sharks.

Exactly it worked for HOF GMJR, he got two cups in Pittsburgh and then quit. Why does he care what happens to the Penguins now. Also it looks as if Hextall is going the route of the "re-tool" to keep them relevant as long as Malkin and Crosby are around. I truly wish he didn't, just blow it up and start over.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Exactly it worked for HOF GMJR, he got two cups in Pittsburgh and then quit. Why does he care what happens to the Penguins now. Also it looks as if Hextall is going the route of the "re-tool" to keep them relevant as long as Malkin and Crosby are around. I truly wish he didn't, just blow it up and start over.
that was the Canucks biggest mistake - trying to remain relevant while the Sedins were here.
should have blown it up two years prior.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was the Canucks biggest mistake - trying to remain relevant while the Sedins were here.
should have blown it up two years prior.
What is worse the Penguins literally have had only 4 first round picks in the last decade:

Maatta and Pouliot - '12, Kapanen - '14 and Poulin in '19.

Sadly they really need to look at dealing their top talent to help build up that prospect pool but Ownership won't allow it. So they will be mired for years to come.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it's not always a death sentence. Granted, there's a big element of luck and being able to capitalize on other team's desperation but Jarmo went nuts 3 years ago, everything went wrong and he lost everyone and only won one series. But I would argue this team is one piece away (Legit 1C) from being better than that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.