• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dead Space: Bought-Out, Buried, And Retained Salaries For Every Team

Interesting some of the players on the list and the bad contracts they got in the past.
Side note: I totally forgot about Mike Richards.

I didn't realize that Vermette had been bought out in Arizona.

Jackets are on the high end, and two of the buyouts were contract extensions that Jarmo himself gave. He could have let both Tyutin and Boll walk for free, but extended both and then bought them out...

The other one was one that was a trade involving another guy that got bought out also. Oh well.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an overpayment for him. About a million/million and a half too much for him.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on guys not signing with the team that drafted them? Is it their right? Should a team be compensated for losing those guys?

Also has it always been like this or does it seem more prevalent of late?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on guys not signing with the team that drafted them? Is it their right? Should a team be compensated for losing those guys?

I think if you sign them you should give up a compensation pick regarding that players level of success? Complicated formula I would imagine but these players shouldn't be able to reject their draft teams. It's a privilege to be drafted in this league and they should honour it or not play in the NHL.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think there should certainly be a compensatory draft pick of some sort ... but only after the canucks sign Kerfoot lol

on that note:

Kerfoot: theres been talk of him signing with the canucks going back to the spring ... hometown boy

Butcher: if he played in Denver and wont sign with the team that drafted him which is in pretty much a similar spot as the canucks why would he even consider the canucks ... lip service by the agent

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to disagree with the compensatory pick for a draftee not signing. Maybe it should depend on the round the original non-signer was drafted in to keep it even. A first rounder refusing has a tad more impact than a sixth.

I agree that it's an honor to be drafted into the NHL, but at least as far as your first contract is concerned, you should be afforded some choice. Granted, it's a massive dick move to refuse to sign for who drafted you, but as a draftee with any chance of making it you are giving up control of what could turn out to be your whole career.

When you consider what a crapshoot it is to draft and how many draftees never get any contract at all, I am not really bothered if someone doesn't want to sign.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complicated formula I would imagine but these players shouldn't be able to reject their draft teams. It's a privilege to be drafted in this league and they should honour it or not play in the NHL.
Drafts in general are rather inhumane - "Oh, hey, you're talented. We're going to let you play for us but you're going to move where we tell you to move and our lawyers have negotiated it so that you're stuck there for at least 6 years unless your employers decide they don't want you anymore and trade you elsewhere at their discretion".

Name one other industry on earth that functions like this.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafts in general are rather inhumane - "Oh, hey, you're talented. We're going to let you play for us but you're going to move where we tell you to move and our lawyers have negotiated it so that you're stuck there for at least 6 years unless your employers decide they don't want you anymore and trade you elsewhere at their discretion".

Name one other industry on earth that functions like this.

Unique circumstances for sure.

Also unique in that they make millionaires of 19 year old kids who think you put dishes in the dryer and that you can call your mom on a banana.

So at least they got that going for them, which is nice.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah Im for compensatory picks but I also feel its the the players right to wait it out and sign with a team other than the team that drafted him. Sucks for that teams fans but its in the cba so ...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unique circumstances for sure.

Also unique in that they make millionaires of 19 year old kids who think you put dishes in the dryer and that you can call your mom on a banana.

So at least they got that going for them, which is nice.

Not sure what gets better reception, a Dole, Del Monte, or Chiquita?!?

C5oB5OPWcAECnMH.jpg:small

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there should certainly be a compensatory draft pick of some sort ... but only after the canucks sign Kerfoot lol

on that note:

Kerfoot: theres been talk of him signing with the canucks going back to the spring ... hometown boy

Butcher: if he played in Denver and wont sign with the team that drafted him which is in pretty much a similar spot as the canucks why would he even consider the canucks ... lip service by the agent

Matty will be able to put his Garth Butcher jersey out of the closet if this comes to pass :D

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, a player should sign with the team that drafts him. They drafted you, give them a chance, if you don't want to stay there long term you can always leave after the end of your contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.