• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So his goal was to slow down the game, take away goals, lead to an inconsistent application AND give a team a win they didn't deserve in a Stanley Cup Final game?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So his goal was to slow down the game, take away goals, lead to an inconsistent application AND give a team a win they didn't deserve in a Stanley Cup Final game?

Unnecessary shot to Sabres fans.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a totally unrelated note BBB, I finally saw Kate Bierness in that Toyota commercial - She's looking good.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any report of Kovy anywhere but home comfortably is an exaggeration or malignant propaganda.

I am one of the 17 people who aren't TV critics that watches "The Americans" religiously. In the show's reddit thread there is one user that supposedly lived in the USSR for many years (although I don't believe she's Russian) and is always boosting and pining for the good ol' communist days. I figure it's probably just someone trolling, but if I (or my family) were someone who was personally affected I'd probably have gotten banned by now for tearing her a new one.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one of the 17 people who aren't TV critics that watches "The Americans" religiously. In the show's reddit thread there is one user that supposedly lived in the USSR for many years (although I don't believe she's Russian) and is always boosting and pining for the good ol' communist days. I figure it's probably just someone trolling, but if I (or my family) were someone who was personally affected I'd probably have gotten banned by now for tearing her a new one.

I watch it, but I am 4 or 5 episodes behind right now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t speak for the former USSR but I know a lot of people in the former East Germany pine for the old days, or at least speak fondly with regards to certain aspects of their old lives. Of course that’s a tangled mess that requires a lot of introspection on how poor of a job West Germany did integrating the other half of their country (some things that stood out though – unemployment and homelessness, unheard of in the DDR, became a rampant thing, income inequality for similar work is even today a big problem, and I imagine finding out your neighbor ratted on your brother to the Stasi wasn’t exactly a pleasant experience) but the sentiment is still there and the German Left party does tend to do its best in the former DDR states.

I know the general feeling in Russia in the 90s was generally “what the hell was the point of this, again?”, which was hardly surprising considering Boris Yeltsin was so fucking drunk all the time he couldn’t climb airplane stairs let alone keep a fledgling democracy’s economy stable but I figure Putin’s fixed most of that feeling.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t speak for the former USSR but I know a lot of people in the former East Germany pine for the old days, or at least speak fondly with regards to certain aspects of their old lives. Of course that’s a tangled mess that requires a lot of introspection on how poor of a job West Germany did integrating the other half of their country (some things that stood out though – unemployment and homelessness, unheard of in the DDR, became a rampant thing, income inequality for similar work is even today a big problem, and I imagine finding out your neighbor ratted on your brother to the Stasi wasn’t exactly a pleasant experience) but the sentiment is still there and the German Left party does tend to do its best in the former DDR states.

I know the general feeling in Russia in the 90s was generally “what the hell was the point of this, again?”, which was hardly surprising considering Boris Yeltsin was so fucking drunk all the time he couldn’t climb airplane stairs let alone keep a fledgling democracy’s economy stable but I figure Putin’s fixed most of that feeling.

I still remember when my ex-wife came home with a blank, stunned look on her face from a dinner. A trader born in Georgia from a different bank also attended and she told me she just listened to a half-drunken diatribe about how Stalin wasn't such a bad guy. It's amazing some of the shit you hear from people.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember when my ex-wife came home with a blank, stunned look on her face from a dinner. A trader born in Georgia from a different bank also attended and she told me she just listened to a half-drunken diatribe about how Stalin wasn't such a bad guy. It's amazing some of the shit you hear from people.
It's like when a politician says "Hitler had some good ideas". WHY YOU EVEN THINKING THIS SHIT MAN?!

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like when a politician says "Hitler had some good ideas". WHY YOU EVEN THINKING THIS SHIT MAN?!

The question in my head was "So what did your family do in the old Soviet Union?". I suspect that his answer would have been very telling

Status
Not open for further replies.