• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1014.jpg

Comma after the "much"?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why you heff to pay so much money?

Eric Stephens @icemancometh
Ducks sign Ilya Bryzgalov to a one-year deal worth $2.88 million, according to NHL source.

I will take this opportunity to point out that this contract is FOUR TIMES what Brodeur got.

You want your team to ice a talentless jobber? Pourquoi?

There is a bit of a mixup. The Kings are actually hiring him for their social media team.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it sort of in the middle of nowhere? To me, it's more about having things around the area. You can have it outside of a city center, but you need to have things around the arena. Build up restaurants and bars, etc. Then the issue becomes the offseason for those places.

I think Kanata is about a 40 minute drive from downtown Ottawa (Kenny or other Ontario guys familiar with the location can correct me if I'm wrong) so that will have an impact on attendance especially when the weather turns nasty or the team is struggling. You want to have an arena in the downtown area close to bars/restaurants/hotels/nightclubs etc. so this proposed move makes sense to me.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kanata is about a 40 minute drive from downtown Ottawa (Kenny or other Ontario guys familiar with the location can correct me if I'm wrong) so that will have an impact on attendance especially when the weather turns nasty or the team is struggling. You want to have an arena in the downtown area close to bars/restaurants/hotels/nightclubs etc. so this proposed move makes sense to me.

you trying to tell me Sunrise and Glendale werent good ideas??? lol

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I was up there, I stayed in Kanata, so the Arena seemed close :). But yeah it was a half hour+ to get to Parliament hill and the Canal from my hotel. Kanata seemed to me like where all the people who work in Ottawa lived. Big area. Lots of shopping, etc nearby.

you trying to tell me Sunrise and Glendale werent good ideas??? lol

Arenas outside city cores can work provided it's easy for everyone to get to. I actually preferred when the Caps played in Landover at the Cap Centre because coming from the North it was WAY easier. But I imagine it was a nightmare to get to from NoVa. Philly arenas being right off 95 is awesome.

I guess that's the same for downtown arenas though. They have to be easy to get to. I used to hate the Baltimore Arena because it was in the middle of a ton of one way streets and had awful parking in a garage with one way in and one way out. I preferred to drive twice as far to Hershey arena for AHL games.

The problem with Sunrise is they put it where land was cheap not where it made sense. And Glendale tried to build the area around the Arena and it failed.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arenas outside city cores can work provided it's easy for everyone to get to. I actually preferred when the Caps played in Landover at the Cap Centre because coming from the North it was WAY easier. But I imagine it was a nightmare to get to from NoVa. Philly arenas being right off 95 is awesome.

I guess that's the same for downtown arenas though. They have to be easy to get to. I used to hate the Baltimore Arena because it was in the middle of a ton of one way streets and had awful parking in a garage with one way in and one way out. I preferred to drive twice as far to Hershey arena for AHL games.

The problem with Sunrise is they put it where land was cheap not where it made sense. And Glendale tried to build the area around the Arena and it failed.

I will agree with the bold as being a determinant of success only if theres a proviso ... that the MOST important aspect is that arenas outside city cores have to have some semblance of population density surrounding them ... which exists in sprawling metros like DC ... you cant just hope for a "build it and they will come" scenario like Glendale did

Ill just superimpose this "geography" constraint locally here (and even though its canada and we are hockey crazy) ... if the canucks moved to a suburb ...say Abbotsford (which is about the distance of Phoenix to Glendale) where the AHL Heat played in the AEC which is located right off of a transcanada highway exit ... their attendance is gonna get killed ... sure its easy to get there in terms of infrastructure/highways but who wants to drive that far 2 weeknights a week and there isnt enough of a population base in the immediate local area to fill the building

and population density doesnt just drive the fanbase ... it drives the municipalities tax revenue base ... and if the city/county is the owner of the arena ... that local fan better look into buying a composting toilet for their home

if the downtown core of a city is thriving and has a population base people will go there no matter what the travel issues that may exist ... it isnt exactly easy to get to Rogers arena from the distant suburbs ... we dont have a system of highways in the city so someone driving in will be facing gridlock/traffic on gamenights (although there is a public transit alternative which is more user friendly than alot of other cities in NA)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is Melnyk going to pay for it? Because I sure as shit don't want a fucking dime of taxpayer money funding a new barn for a team that got one 20 years ago. The Feds have made it pretty clear that they aren't willing to fund pro sports facilities, and the Auditor General's Report released yesterday stated that the Ontario gov't has squandered $8 BILLION in the past few years on some of the dumbest things you can imagine possible, and I don't think that figure includes the Pan Am Games. There are a million things this province needs to invest in before it does a god damn arena for the fifth most popular sports franchise in the province.

Anyway, if the money is private :-)lol:), I'm sure there are plenty more Leafs and Habs fans who would go to games in downtown Ottawa than currently do in Kanata :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the downtown core of a city is thriving and has a population base people will go there no matter what the travel issues that may exist ... it isnt exactly easy to get to Rogers arena from the distant suburbs ... we dont have a system of highways in the city so someone driving in will be facing gridlock/traffic on gamenights (although there is a public transit alternative which is more user friendly than alot of other cities in NA)

When I was younger and still lived in the western GTA, I never fucking understood why anybody in their right minds would drive to a Leaf/Raptors game. The train got you there and back so much faster, cheaper and with less headache, and you can literally get to any part of the region by subway or regional rail. And yet, thousands did exactly that every game.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was younger and still lived in the western GTA, I never fucking understood why anybody in their right minds would drive to a Leaf/Raptors game. The train got you there and back so much faster, cheaper and with less headache, and you can literally get to any part of the region by subway or regional rail. And yet, thousands did exactly that every game.

when we used to go to games, there used to be a $5 parking lot about 4 blocks from Rogers arena ... I would park there and think I was getting away with murder ... then the Olympics came to town and it permanently became a $25 lot :ohwell:

driving in traffic never bothered me ... but parking rates always do lol

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get out your dictionary and look up the term "Lemmings":rollseyes:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is Jean Beliveau didn't want to join the Montreal Canadiens (he was doing just fine playing for the Quebec Aces in the Quebec Senior Hockey League). That all changed when the Habs bought the entire Quebec Senior Hockey League (and acquired Le Gros Bill).

Status
Not open for further replies.