• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I'd be doing right now if i was Mactavish is stepping down from that team and allow someone to come in there who can fix that team.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I'd be doing right now if i was Mactavish is stepping down from that team and allow someone to come in there who can fix that team.

That would be too easy!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
r68YYDR.jpg

Outdoor hockey game in Sweden in 1959.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite as bad as that phantom goalie interference call in the Wings Caps game earlier, but Chris Rooney just called goalie interference on Matt Beleskey - second worst call I've seen this season. Ducks had a 5 on 3 and Beleskey never touched Pavelec. The ref behind the goal line called it a goal, but the ref at the blue line Rooney called it a penalty. It's just not comprehensible how that was called a penalty with absolutely no contact and Beleskey never even in the blue paint. At least Beleskey said a solid "fuck you" to Rooney on his way to the box.

/they just said it was run of the mill interference and not goalie interference, which only makes it a marginal call now, not a phantom call.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing goalies wore glorified pillows back in the day.

Deer hair wrapped in leather? Those things retained water like you wouldn't believe. I imagine the goalie went straight to the bottom.

/First pair I ever wore was made of deer hair. They gained three pounds during the game.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deer hair wrapped in leather? Those things retained water like you wouldn't believe. I imagine the goalie went straight to the bottom.

/First pair I ever wore was made of deer hair. They gained three pounds during the game.

Still probably lighter than all the stuff they wear today, but point made.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

I had a set of those as well. man those fuckers got heavy.
theory: that's why goalies played the stand-up style back then - to avoid getting those massive sponges wet.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theory: that's why goalies played the stand-up style back then - to avoid getting those massive sponges wet.

Butterfly, for me, is also more work. I become a standup goalie when I get tired and stop caring. :D

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a chance!! Those old pads were brutally heavy after just sweating and some contact with ice.

I think 43 said it best. That goalie likely sunk like a stone.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me also.

When I upgraded from the sponges to a new (new to me at least) much lighter set, it was heavenly. Suddenly those up and down exercises were a lot less tiring.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You'd be surprised. I wore a set of brand new Brian's pads a while back and they donn't feel any heavier than my skater shin pads when you are wearing them. I only wore them for a practice, so I don't know how they felt long term, but daaaaamn they are light.

The body armor they wear gives so much protection, but it is super light and much more moveable than it used to be. One of my kids has this monster flak jacket like thing he wears. You put it on like a coat and it zips up the front. It has carbon fiber plates on the sternum and in the crooks of the elbows. And those are on hinges. I don't know how he even feels the puck. And it all weighs about the same as my old Louisville Chest/Arm doohickey that left my back almost completely exposed.

I used to hate carrying them out of the locker room after the second or third game in a tournament. Because they took forever to dry too. And we didn't have wheeled bags like these kids today. And we had to walk uphill in the snow both ways with NO SHOES ON

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God for the Metro division.

In the other four divisions, 3rd place is 36 points. In the Metro it's 28. The Jackets have 20. Next three are; Philly, Washington and Pitt. Then Detroit and Caps again.

How the Jackets, as terrible as they've been, are only 8 points out is unbelievable. Still a steep hill to climb, but if they were in any other division it's twice as steep.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to hate carrying them out of the locker room after the second or third game in a tournament. Because they took forever to dry too. And we didn't have wheeled bags like these kids today. And we had to walk uphill in the snow both ways with NO SHOES ON

And the stench when you tried to speed up the drying process by putting them near a heater or something.

Wow was that nasty.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the other four divisions, 3rd place is 36 points. In the Metro it's 28. The Jackets have 20. Next three are; Philly, Washington and Pitt. Then Detroit and Caps again.

How the Jackets, as terrible as they've been, are only 8 points out is unbelievable. Still a steep hill to climb, but if they were in any other division it's twice as steep.

It's the Mediocrity division. Outside of the Pens and Isles there's been a whole lot of underachieving. You have the M*A*S*H unit in CBus, the captain of tank for McDavid in Carolina, and the super confused Flyers. And on top of those bottom three it's more mediocrity with the Devils (2-6-2 in their last 10), the Rags and Caps. Only the Isles and Pens are above .500 (including OT/SO losses as, you know, losses). Central is the class of the league with only 2 teams below .500.

Random weird stat: the Panthers have SEVEN OT losses. Geeeeez that's a lot of loser points.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flyers only four points behind the Rangers and six points behind the Caps(who they haven't even played yet this season) - there are some winnable games for the Flyers here this week, they need to get on a winning streak - one winning streak can get them right back in it - with Steve Mason playing really well, if the rest of the team plays half decent they can do some good things

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The return of the Doobster.

The real one, that never speaks of himself in third person.

Lines today were:
Jenner - Johansen - Skille
Gibbons - Foligno - Hartnell
Atkinson - Dubinsky - Calvert
Tropp - Chaput - Boll

Nowhere to be found; Cracknell and Rychel.

I would put Rychel where Gibby is, and move Gibby to where Boll is. Then I'd put Boll in a dumpster. And set it on fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.