• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL One view about the Playoffs

Should an undefeated G5 conference champion be allowed into the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 48.3%

• Total voters

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think no one watches the big bowl games that aren't the playoff? Viewership would be about the same.

I'm not even sure I will be watching Ohio State vs USC in the Cotton Bowl. What are we playing for? I can't even name the bowl that Texas is playing in.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure I will be watching Ohio State vs USC in the Cotton Bowl. What are we playing for? I can't even name the bowl that Texas is playing in.
:wtf: and :wtf:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC was not worthy of a shot at a national title. And had UW beaten Stanford and USC they may or may not have gotten in with that backlog at 3-5 and would still have no one but themselves to blame for the really bad game against ASU. I wouldn't be banging a drum that we need more slots. It's not necessary. They lost. I dealt with that. USC lost. Badly. Get over it and do better next year. Win your damned games and stop looking for reasons to devalue regular season losses.
Wiz, was that Washington loss to ASU worse than the Clemson loss to Syracuse? I don't think so.

Clemson was given a pass because of the rest of their resume. Had Washington had a similar resume to Clemson's, I don't think the ASU loss would have damaged them much either.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz, was that Washington loss to ASU worse than the Clemson loss to Syracuse? I don't think so.

Clemson was given a pass because of the rest of their resume. Had Washington had a similar resume to Clemson's, I don't think the ASU loss would have damaged them much either.
My point on that is once you lose to anyone you remove the only thing you can control. I just don't worry about the committee or the endless bitching on who should be in over whom. Just win and there is nothing to debate. That's entirely the point. And it has been that way forever. We got the BCS because sometimes you get more than one undefeated team. You do need a way to figure that out. That's what the BCS was designed to do. Well, we ended up with some 1 loss team being left out over some other 1 loss team. Now we can't have that, so we went to 4. And now people are concerned over which 2 loss team is being left out. It has drifted already away from the intent and is slipping farther and farther down a path I don't care for.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point on that is once you lose to anyone you remove the only thing you can control. I just don't worry about the committee or the endless bitching on who should be in over whom. Just win and there is nothing to debate. That's entirely the point. And it has been that way forever. We got the BCS because sometimes you get more than one undefeated team. You do need a way to figure that out. That's what the BCS was designed to do. Well, we ended up with some 1 loss team being left out over some other 1 loss team. Now we can't have that, so we went to 4. And now people are concerned over which 2 loss team is being left out. It has drifted already away from the intent and is slipping farther and farther down a path I don't care for.
I hear what you are saying about "just win" and dont worry about it.

But, that ship of undefeated, one loss, two loss stuff sailed a long time ago...depending on the year. Now the types of losses and wins matter since four undefeated teams don't show up every year.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But, that ship of undefeated, one loss, two loss stuff sailed a long time ago...depending on the year. Now the types of losses and wins matter since four undefeated teams don't show up every year.
Right, and that's exactly why I don't want things to get worst where then everyone is going to complain about which 3 loss team should have been in over some other. You no longer have to go undefeated, however unless your name is Bama or some blue blood your odds of getting in with two losses aren't great even if it does happen. I can live with that, but don't really want it. I can't live with fans of 3 loss teams bitching about being left out.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, and that's exactly why I don't want things to get worst where then everyone is going to complain about which 3 loss team should have been in over some other. You no longer have to go undefeated, however unless your name is Bama or some blue blood your odds of getting in with two losses aren't great even if it does happen. I can live with that, but don't really want it. I can't live with fans of 3 loss teams bitching about being left out.
The 8 team format would do this. It would make winning one's conference matter. And that is an objective criteria; you can't whine about it or rationalize around it. Win it and you are in it. My ideal is the winner of each P5, the best G5, and two more that you can play beauty contestant with. I suspect that the real reason for opposition to this is that some of you like those beauty contest and parsing all of the statistical tea leaves. Well that and seeing Nick Saban in a swimsuit.:eek:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 8 team format would do this. It would make winning one's conference matter. And that is an objective criteria; you can't whine about it or rationalize around it. Win it and you are in it. My ideal is the winner of each P5, the best G5, and two more that you can play beauty contestant with. I suspect that the real reason for opposition to this is that some of you like those beauty contest and parsing all of the statistical tea leaves. Well that and seeing Nick Saban in a swimsuit.:eek:
No, and why would it be? You think I want Bama in every year?

The reason we don't want it is it doesn't do what you think it will do. At all. YOU want it because your ONLY agenda here is getting in at least one guaranteed G5 every year. And I understand that. I simply don't agree. Not because I want to hold them down, but because throwing away what makes the regular season so different in college football just so some fringe team can feel all included for a minute doesn't interest me in the least. If a Boise is strong enough to be in the top 4 put them in!

Putting in conf champs with an auto bid is just an entirely horrible idea. Period. USC lost twice. They shouldn't be playing for a championship. Period. They would be under your system. That means we reward mediocrity with chances to turn it into being crowned a national champion. That is not something I can ever be on board with. Not ever. Go win and dominate and BE the champion all year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you trying to make this about USC? Who said anything about USC?

I said that if you win a P5 conference, you deserve a shot in the playoffs. I feel the same about tOSU.

Under the current format, neither USC, nor tOSU deserved to be in. But then, if conference championships are supposed to mean something...Alabama doesn't deserve to be in either.

An 8 team playoff would allow for all conference champs to be in and still have room for teams like this years Bama team. If they truly don't deserve to be there, it would play out on the field (which is what the BCS and now the playoff is supposed to be about).

If you deserved to be there, you wouldn't have gotten blown out by Notre Dame.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a view about the playoffs:

Clemson vs. Bama
Jawja vs. Oklahoma.

That's it. That's all there needs to be. No one else deserves to be there. Good day, motherfuckers!

:suds:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will get worse if you expand to 8.

Right now it's in a sweet spot with 4. It would equally suck if we went to 4 major conferences. Leaving one out is why we have the Big12 championship game. People are caring about the big games more now as well because they see the importance in it.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus fucking Christ, this is still a thing? If you want to see objective playoffs and do away with controversy watch the NFL. If FBS football and the way champions are determined pisses you off that much, there's other football options for you. I know smiles has heard of some of them, he used them as an example. College football doesn't need to conform to your fucking wants and desires, it's been awesome for a very long time without your input.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus fucking Christ, this is still a thing? If you want to see objective playoffs and do away with controversy watch the NFL. If FBS football and the way champions are determined pisses you off that much, there's other football options for you. I know smiles has heard of some of them, he used them as an example. College football doesn't need to conform to your fucking wants and desires, it's been awesome for a very long time without your input.
Well, one of the wants and desires I had in starting this thread was to piss off Alabama fans, and that last post of mine accomplished the task.

Mission accomplished.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, Boise hasn't been good enough to defend too strenuously of late. And Sportshoopla is getting to be a collection of mainly a hundred or so passionate posters, the same guys that have been here for years. It's kind of a waste of time to be honest. But when I see two SEC teams get in while 7 conference champs get trips to the consolation bowl, yeah, it gets the old juices going. The system is still the problem as Chad Cripp pointed out in the Statesman article. Honestly, I can't think of a scenario in which the selection committee would have picked an undefeated G5 team as a playoff contender. They would have picked a two-loss major team or an elite conference also-ran first, like they did this year. To their credit, they did guarantee one spot, yup, one, as a G5 slot, but it's usually to the lowest rated of the new year's bowls. So in TV playoff money, the SEC gets half of the loot, while all 65 G5 teams and 5 conferences get a couple of crumbs after that share is split up. The rich get richer...

Besides, Spinny was special. He was like fishing for carp or squawfish, er, pike minnows, all I did was drag a lure across the bottom, and he'd hit it every time.

So you won't see me around much, @BoiseStateFan27 . I had time off this week, so it was fun to rile up the old big school homers. You, 4Life, Mike, and Pitman will have to support Boise. But you guys kinda lost your teeth too from back in the days when we fought those guys tooth and nail. This will be me most of the time....
:behindsofa:

I must say well done, 15 pages and counting in this thread now

a perfect 50-50 split in voting right now too

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take exception this this though: "If they truly don't deserve to be there, it would play out on the field" False. And this goes to the differences of those who agree with me vs those who agree with you. The ends do NOT justify the means. Who 'deserved' to be there is not the same as who is better at that moment, more or less do we not see every single week upsets happen. I could not more strongly disagree with that stance. Most deserving does NOT have to mean best team at that time. Not at all.

If it team doesn't belong, it plays out on the field. In college football, "deserve" is opinion based. So just because some committee has the opinion that one team deserves to be in the playoff over another, doesn't make it true.

If you get in and you win, you deserved to be there.

I'm not bringing up USC to troll you.

Your first sentence of "USC didn't deserve to be there" when no one said they did, says otherwise. Especially since I have said all along that under the current format, they don't deserve to be there. So, not buying it.

You guys keep making this about conference champions. Conference champions are champions of their league and nothing more.

And as such, they deserve to be in. There isn't another level of football where a conference champion doesn't get into the playoffs.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it team doesn't belong, it plays out on the field. In college football, "deserve" is opinion based. So just because some committee has the opinion that one team deserves to be in the playoff over another, doesn't make it true.

If you get in and you win, you deserved to be there.

Your first sentence of "USC didn't deserve to be there" when no one said they did, says otherwise. Especially since I have said all along that under the current format, they don't deserve to be there. So, not buying it.

And as such, they deserve to be in. There isn't another level of football where a conference champion doesn't get into the playoffs.
I brought up USC clearly because they are a two loss conference champ with a very bad loss. It isn't hard to find other examples. In the system you propose those teams are in and I want no part of that. There is nothing about that that is personal or just slamming your team. I've brought that up to others as an example.

The rest of your points entirely don't matter to me. What other levels of football do is irrelevant. No others have a bowl system. There are others with parity in their scheduling and other factors that make it far FAR different.

If we go to an auto bid I don't think it would take that long for an overall 9-4 team to be in. That's just sickening to even think about.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you deserved to be there, you wouldn't have gotten blown out by Notre Dame.

Yeah, I said exactly that in my post.

Under the current format, neither USC, nor tOSU deserved to be in.

At least now we know that you can at least parrot back what you've read.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I said exactly that in my post.

At least now we know that you can at least parrot back what you've read.

Then stop pushing a format you admit is fucked up.

BottleWalk

Holier Than Thou
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I didn't read the whole thread but it's clear from the first page that the people who think there shouldn't be playoffs won't ever change their minds.....

The fact of the matter is that the way it's set up there will ALWAYS be teams on the outside looking in saying "we could have as much chance to win a game" as one team in the tournament and when that happens to me it's pretty clear you have a problem.

But some people just want the elitism and domination of certain schools/polls to continue and I guess that's a way of looking at things, but not one i respect or think of as particularly intelligent imo