• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL One view about the Playoffs

Should an undefeated G5 conference champion be allowed into the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 48.3%

• Total voters

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a difference between an auto bid 8 team playoff, and expanding the current system to 8. Both are bad. One is horribly bad.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought up USC clearly because they are a two loss conference champ with a very bad loss.

So is tOSU. You didn't mention them.
The rest of your points entirely don't matter to me. What other levels of football do is irrelevant.

Of course not. They don't fit your narrative.

If we go to an auto bid I don't think it would take that long for an overall 9-4 team to be in.

So what if they are? Maybe they are 9-4 because of injuries or having newer players who took time to gel.

Last year, USC was 9-3 at the end of the regular season. Yet, by the end of the season, they were considered one of the top 4 teams in the nation.

Some of you act like teams are exactly the same from beginning to end. That is very rarely the case. The vast majority of teams either improve or regress. An 8 team playoff would allow for that improvement.

That's just sickening to even think about.

Well, I think the 8 team playoff is gaining too much momentum and we will see it either after this current deal is up or after the next one. There's too much money to be made for it not to happen.

So, I'd suggest that you plan on not watching that game (although I'm sure that if it's your Huskies that are the 9-4 conference champ, you'll overcome the nausea enough to watch).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then stop pushing a format you admit is fucked up.

Wow, just when I thought there was hope that you could comprehend what you read. I haven't said an 8 team format is fucked up. That was you.

I have said the current format is fucked up.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, just when I thought there was hope that you could comprehend what you read. I haven't said an 8 team format is fucked up. That was you.

I have said the current format is fucked up.

"USC doesn't deserve to go"

"I think we should move a playoff format that would include USC".

You argue like a bitch.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"USC doesn't deserve to go"

"I think we should move a playoff format that would include USC".

You argue like a bitch.

You argue like a moron and a crybaby.

Once again, you have shown your inability to comprehend what you read and because you're triggered, you want to try to make it about USC.

I said USC doesn't deserve to be there under the current format. I said the playoff should be expanded to include all conference champions (which would include tOSU this year). I've only mentioned USC in response to you and Wiz trying to make it about USC.

Additionally, I have favored an 8 team playoff since before the BCS even existed. When they went to 4 team playoff, I said that I still wanted an 8 team playoff, but 4 is better than nothing.

You just keep embarrassing yourself.

You should cry more. It's what you're best at.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think the 8 team playoff is gaining too much momentum and we will see it either after this current deal is up or after the next one. There's too much money to be made for it not to happen.

So, I'd suggest that you plan on not watching that game (although I'm sure that if it's your Huskies that are the 9-4 conference champ, you'll overcome the nausea enough to watch).
You sure have moved this to a personal assault. I have intentionally not insulted or berated you, nor anyone else over this because we all admittedly won't agree up front. Try toning it down a bit and stick to the merits of the points. I'd take it more seriously.

Momentum? Really?

Ok, so let's hear your plan. Lay it out. The whole thing. Fix everything wrong in college football.

How do you plan on fixing the problem with OOC games with an auto bid? Only 9 of the 12 games your team will play in that format count at all toward that golden free ticket. Are you fine with that? SEC teams would have 4 games that entirely do not count toward that free ride. 33% of their season is completely irrelevant. Sure, those looking for the two spots that have to actually be earned will need some quality there, but 5 teams couldn't give a shit less if they lost every single one of them. It won't hurt. So, where's your plan to fix that.

Two teams now move up to 16 game seasons. Adding more games has been a serious point of concern at the NCAA office level and was a big hold up for 'and 1' even though it was just two teams getting an extra game.

How do you ease the fears of selling out stadiums now for up to 3 straight weeks of travel for all of those teams? At a time when attendance live is down as it is now we want a LOT more travel dollars from a handful of teams each year. Let's see how you ease the concerns of the people putting up the money for these events for recovering their costs and making their profits.

There is no momentum, because inside the sport it is clear there are too many hurdles. There is no steam at that level even if there is a lot of noise from some fans that really have no plans for making their proposed expansion work in reality.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You argue like a moron and a crybaby.

Once again, you have shown your inability to comprehend what you read and because you're triggered, you want to try to make it about USC.

I said USC doesn't deserve to be there under the current format. I said the playoff should be expanded to include all conference champions (which would include tOSU this year). I've only mentioned USC in response to you and Wiz trying to make it about USC.

Additionally, I have favored an 8 team playoff since before the BCS even existed. When they went to 4 team playoff, I said that I still wanted an 8 team playoff, but 4 is better than nothing.

You just keep embarrassing yourself.

You should cry more. It's what you're best at.

It's about USC because in your proposed format...USC would make it this year.

FUCKING DUH.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FUCKING DUH.
He wants his cake and to eat it too. He's clearly just trolling up some noise tonight. You can tell by his tone.

He admits they don't belong this year 'under the current format'. But he clearly wants the format in which his team very much would belong. He's jumping back and forth between both just to push your buttons.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants his cake and to eat it too. He's clearly just trolling up some noise tonight. You can tell by his tone.

He admits they don't belong this year 'under the current format'. But he clearly wants the format in which his team very much would belong. He's jumping back and forth between both just to push your buttons.

Yes, arguing like a woman.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure have moved this to a personal assault. I have intentionally not insulted or berated you, nor anyone else over this because we all admittedly won't agree up front. Try toning it down a bit and stick to the merits of the points. I'd take it more seriously.

You consider that a personal assault? Seriously? Wow.

Maybe just ignore me going forward if you consider that an assault or even an insult or berating you?

And I honestly don't give a shit what you take seriously. Especially if you think that post was an assault.

Go ahead and say whatever you want. I'll spare your feelings and not respond.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FUCKING DUH.

You 2 morons should get a room and fuck.

I've been in favor of an 8 team playoff since NC's were decided by the polls. It has nothing to so with USC, this year or any other.

But keep telling yourselves it's about USC and claiming I'm trolling. It's all you have left because neither of you have a logical argument left.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You consider that a personal assault? Seriously? Wow.

Maybe just ignore me going forward if you consider that an assault or even an insult or berating you?

And I honestly don't give a shit what you take seriously. Especially if you think that post was an assault.

Go ahead and say whatever you want. I'll spare your feelings and not respond.
Well thanks for proving my point? :L

I didn't mean that exact quote, I was talking about your overall tone and yet here you are getting more personal and more butt hurt. Seems you really just want to stay entirely pissy over this so carry on.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been in favor of an 8 team playoff since NC's were decided by the polls. It has nothing to so with USC, this year or any other.

But keep telling yourselves it's about USC and claiming I'm trolling. It's all you have left because neither of you have a logical argument left.
And yet you aren't getting personal or going on the attack? :laugh:

I said you were saying both things interchangeably and you have been. Need quotes? I mean you have said they don't deserve to be in, but want to keep pushing for a system that would very much include them. Both are entirely true.

As for nothing left, I challenged you a few posts above to address what are serious issues with an 8 team auto bid system. Where are your proposals for addressing those? I'm sure the NCAA's front office would love to see them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't matter how long you have been in favor of it, nor does it matter that you are a USC fan. The results are the results and they show that the system you want is terrible.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well thanks for proving my point? :L

I didn't mean that exact quote, I was talking about your overall tone and yet here you are getting more personal and more butt hurt. Seems you really just want to stay entirely pissy over this so carry on.

There was nothing in that post that was in any way an assault or a personal attack. You're the one claiming I'm making this about USC. You have posted with me long enough to know that I have always been in favor of an 8 team playoff.

Yet you come in here with some made shit that it's about USC (when it was you who brought them up) and claim I'm trolling and now want to cry about some non-existent "assault."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter how long you have been in favor of it, nor does it matter that you are a USC fan. The results are the results and they show that the system you want is terrible.

When you and Wiz claim that it's about USC and act like I just started being in favor of an 8 team system this year...It absolutely matters how long I've been in favor of it. It means I've been in favor of it in years when USC would have zero shot at making it.

You claim it's a terrible system. That's your opinion and I and a lot of other folks disagree.

I claim the current system is terrible. That's my opinion and you and lots of other folks disagree.

My guess is that whether the current system is kept, we go to an 8 team playoff, 6 team playoff or some other system that no one has thought of yet, we will all still watch and we will all still argue.

*EDIT* Better stated, I don't think the current system is terrible (the BCS was terrible and polls were worse). I think that an 8 team playoff would be far better.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a little bit.
Winning the title makes you worthy. Winning your conference makes you worthy of a shot at the title.
It's really that simple.

No it does not. Winning a conference just means that - you won your "conference title". It doesn't mean the team is any good.
In 1996 an unranked 7-4 Texas team beat a 10-1 Nebraska team to win the Big 12 title. That gave an autobid to Texas for the Fiesta Bowl.
Also, in 2012 an unranked 7-5 Wisconsin team beat a 10-2 Nebraska team to win the Conference title and go to the Rose Bowl.

Other "close calls",
Pac 2010: an unranked 6-6 UCLA vs Oregon
Big 12: 2005 an unranked 7-4 Colorado vs OU
Big 12: 2006 an unranked 7-4 Colorado vs Texas
ACC: 2012 an unranked 6-6 GT vs FSU

None of these unranked teams should be in any playoff just by upsetting someone in a CCG.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was nothing in that post that was in any way an assault or a personal attack. You're the one claiming I'm making this about USC. You have posted with me long enough to know that I have always been in favor of an 8 team playoff.

Yet you come in here with some made shit that it's about USC (when it was you who brought them up) and claim I'm trolling and now want to cry about some non-existent "assault."
Show me where I've said that, because I didn't. Step back and relax a minute. I have not in any way been attacking you because I'm fine with having a difference of opinion. You got defensive when I did bring up USC, only because they are a good example of what I'm not interested in if this were an 8 team auto bid year.

I'm not looking for a fight and have been trying to just carry on a rational discussion about it.

Why an 8-team College Football Playoff feels further away than ever

There are plenty of articles like this out there. There are way MORE that are non insiders or people that haven't actually interviewed AD's, TV exec's etc that are in favor of an 8 team playoff, but there are MASSIVE road blocks that make it highly unlikely to ever happen. Please, take a quick read of that and let me know how they have it wrong and what can be done to fix the things they talk about.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it does not. Winning a conference just means that - you won your "conference title". It doesn't mean the team is any good.
In 1996 an unranked 7-4 Texas team beat a 10-1 Nebraska team to win the Big 12 title. That gave an autobid to Texas for the Fiesta Bowl.
Also, in 2012 an unranked 7-5 Wisconsin team beat a 10-2 Nebraska team to win the Conference title and go to the Rose Bowl.

Other "close calls",
Pac 2010: an unranked 6-6 UCLA vs Oregon
Big 12: 2005 an unranked 7-4 Colorado vs OU
Big 12: 2006 an unranked 7-4 Colorado vs Texas
ACC: 2012 an unranked 6-6 GT vs FSU

None of these unranked teams should be in any playoff just by upsetting someone in a CCG.

Dude these are outliers. You bring up 2 things that happened and "close calls" like it proves something. It doesn't.

You're worried about upsets. Seriously?

If your team is good enough to win a P5 conference, you deserve a shot.