• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ohio State hires former Ok State OC

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta admit The more I'm learning about Brown the more I'm liking that one. Only thing that has me concerned is... I can totally see him keeping Gibby on staff and keeping that freggin 3-3-5 "defense".

Hope Im dead wrong on that one

I would almost garuntee it. You see how many players were on the twit today and wanted gibby to get the big job? A lot of them.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard anything about Arroyo. Monken I'd love but I'm worried he stays in the NFL.

Graham Harrell is a possibility but it's also likely we do something like promote Henson. If it's Henson i don't get the point of ditching Yurcich

I'm salty about 2013, that was on helluva unexpectedly good team too.

Brown has an awesome track record but would he try to redefine the typically explosive Eers for a more mythodical and defensive oriented team?

We are very very quiet by all accounts on who we will go after for OC right now and it's worrisome.

I think we will try and throw money at Marcus Arroyo (Oregon's OC) who until this past year was our RB coach. He makes sense and at one point it seemed he could become a HC in waiting type.

It's also a pipe dream to get Todd Monken back in Stillwater since Tampa Bay just canned their HC (where Monken is OC) and most the time, new HCs clear house.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta admit The more I'm learning about Brown the more I'm liking that one. Only thing that has me concerned is... I can totally see him keeping Gibby on staff and keeping that freggin 3-3-5 "defense".

I'm assuming Neal Brown would probably bring his own DC with him

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I'm nervous this is Tim Beck all over again...

drbuck10

Viva La Revolucion
Hoopla Cash
$ 877.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya........Im not enthused but from what I'm reading he's gonna be a QB coach(not an OC or co-OC).

Dobsie

ᎠᎩᎷᏨᎢ, ᎠᎩᎪᎲᎢ, ᎠᎩᏠᏒᎢ!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's not bad, nor great. He is a very good QB recruiter. We don't often land 4 stars, and he brought in 3 of those.

Rudolph, Kolar, and Sanders.

He can be very predictable which is not a bad thing. He will frustrate you with 1st and 10 run plays down the gut even if the box is stacked. He seems to open the playbook up in bowl games, but against OU he goes conservative. Other big games not OU he does better than average.

It will be interesting to see him not with Gundy because we were his first gig. He should do well, but he isn't Mike Leach, Mike Gundy, Lane Kiffin, or Lincoln Riley when it comes to offense.

We always lacked a good offensive line while he was here. If he can keep a good offensive line and some good running backs that can pass protect, and run he should do well. Just don't expect a true spread offense. Him, and Gundy always ran a power run version of the spread we just usually had only one good running back to rely on.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave you cake because you're going to need it.

It was looking and sounding like he was going to either get Co-OC'ed or pushed out after this season.

Also, he will try to slow a game down with 10 minutes to go and try to play like an SEC 3 yards and a cloud of dust team with a lead, especially when his team is geared for pace and spreading it out.

His play calling cost us at least 7 games in the past 2 years

Well we did that today in the 2nd half anyway with a big lead so it’s not like it can get worse

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya........Im not enthused but from what I'm reading he's gonna be a QB coach(not an OC or co-OC).

Here is who he has recruited/developed:

2014: Mason Rudolph (4*). Burnt redshirt late in freshman season, so starter for 3+ years. He deserves some credit for his development
Taylor Cornelius (PWO). Started this year and was good at times and awful at others-probabaly what you would expect from a walk on with 5 years in the system

2015: John Kolar (4*, but we were his only offer which is weird). Complete bust-not sure if he played a down

2016: Keondre Wudtee (3*). Project but will never see significant snaps. He was a late add after long time commit Nick Starkel (3*) flipped to ATM in January. We also had Mason Fine as a PWO in this class, but he went to UNT when they offered late. Many feel he should have gotten Starkels scolly but that's a little revisionist history at this point.

2017: Jelani Woods (3*, but with a solid offer list). He's our starting TE now.

2018: Spencer Sanders (4*). Easily his best recruit since Rudolph. Despite relaxed redshirt rules, he didn't play a snap this year.

So basically he lucked into a 1st round talent and turned him into a 3rd round selection. He also failed to recruit/develop a decent replacement for said all world talent and we were forced to start a PWO this year.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not bad, nor great. He is a very good QB recruiter. We don't often land 4 stars, and he brought in 3 of those.

Rudolph, Kolar, and Sanders.

He can be very predictable which is not a bad thing. He will frustrate you with 1st and 10 run plays down the gut even if the box is stacked. He seems to open the playbook up in bowl games, but against OU he goes conservative. Other big games not OU he does better than average.

It will be interesting to see him not with Gundy because we were his first gig. He should do well, but he isn't Mike Leach, Mike Gundy, Lane Kiffin, or Lincoln Riley when it comes to offense.

We always lacked a good offensive line while he was here. If he can keep a good offensive line and some good running backs that can pass protect, and run he should do well. Just don't expect a true spread offense. Him, and Gundy always ran a power run version of the spread we just usually had only one good running back to rely on.

Day is the main playcaller so I guess we shouldnt be too worried..maybe

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State to hire former Oklahoma State OC Mike Yurcich

PASADENA, Calif -- Ohio State head coach Ryan Day has added the first big name to his coaching staff.

Former Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich is coming to Columbus as the Buckeyes’ co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach. He will also serve as the Buckeyes' passing game coordinator.

Also, apparently Wilson is expected to stay on staff. Interesting.
That IS interesting. Yurcich is a good hire however. I was kind of surprised he wasn't a candidate for some open HC's jobs

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brown is your guy

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for you guys, I really do.

So, who are you guys going to poach? I assume most Dana's staff is also gone?
Not necessarily. Reports say that Holgs was off the grid after the Bowl game and no one had any contact with him. He may take a few people with him, but my guess is the majority of the staff would stay assuming the next coach wants to keep them

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But at the very least he's proven to develop QBs (at least I'm inferring he was involved) as opposed to Beck.

Reactions: gob

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That IS interesting. Yurcich is a good hire however. I was kind of surprised he wasn't a candidate for some open HC's jobs

He will make more as a P5 assistant. He was at 800K with us and I'm guessing he will get a bump going to Ohio State.

He interviewed for one of the MAC HC jobs, but from the sound of things he would have taken a pay cut from his salary with us.