• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official WVU vs TCU game thread

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have mentioned before, WVU has been able to compete when it has as good as talent as its opponents. Dana is doing nothing today, that he hasn't shown before. He competed well when he took over Billy's team... winning 9 games in the BE regular season... winning the Orange Bowl in record fashion.

He morphed his team last year into one which would pound the rock with power. He's recruited and developed players... placing a bunch in the NFL. He has already proven... before this season... that he could coach.

This year, the talent of the Big 12 is down. And, once again... WVU has become relevant.

It looks like we have some fans trying to jump on the bandwagon. LOL!
:agree::agree::agree:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is bullshit to think Dana didn't care about defense.

In 2011, Casteel and company did a pretty good job with the defense. Casteel supported Coach K, and decided not to stay in Morgantown after it was known Coach K would be fired. Dana wanted Casteel to stay. Jeighmonee was right when he stated Luck and Dana asked Casteel to stay on.

So, Dana hired DeForest... someone he knew from Okie St... but, not his first choice. Casteel left Dana in a bad situation.

The 2012 and 2013 teams suffered on defense because of lack of talent... lack of depth of talent. Dana made a bad hire in putting DeForest as the co-DC. He quickly made a change... before the end of the season.

The 2013 team lost 15 players on the defensive side of the ball. 11 of them started at some point in the season. The 2013 team was one of the youngest in the country at the start of the season. By year's end... it was nothing more than a JV team.

I mentioned this to BBW yesterday.. I think this program has more continuity and cohesion due to the Coaches having those intangibles...it trickles down to the players...clearly Dana trusts Gibby...something he never had with Casteel....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I think you are just seeing us evolve,” said Seider. “Every week it’s something different. We can be wide-open, empty, stack-outside to old-school football with 21-personnel. That’s when you know you are starting to evolve as an offense.”

This is what is exciting about DH as a coach....he has the personel to do whatever is needed to win.

Something we have all noticed and said on this board repeatedly over the last two years..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are seeing Holgorsen learning to be a head coach, not just an OC. He has figured out that winning is more than just flash and scoring points. This years team is winning, looking good doing it because of: playing stout defense and very good offensive line play. The defense is doing a good job of getting off the field, they are bending, but not breaking, missed tackles are still an issue, but everyone is where they need to be nearly every play. The biggest concern for our defense moving forward, IMO, is scheme related as we see teams with better running games. Howard is a MUCH better QB with some time, the Oline has greatly improved their pass blocking, and run blocking is improving as well. I loved seeing Howard under center yesterday, handing off to a RB, great game, great run to start the season.

WElcome to the party DAD! Its what a lot of us on here have tried to message to the DANA haters who couldn't see the forest thru the trees for the last 3 years because of blind hatred for the guy..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WElcome to the party DAD! Its what a lot of us on here have tried to message to the DANA haters who couldn't see the forest thru the trees for the last 3 years because of blind hatred for the guy..

You gonna let him on the bandwagon?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted my thoughts about Dana yesterday. He ain't no different... his team ain't playing no different on all 3 sides of the ball than they did last year. He has been morphing this team over the last few years. Some mocked me...

From the horse's mouth as they say...

Holgorsen: WVU Focused Only On Next Game

"We have done a lot of things around here to try and prevent things like that, both offensively and defensively," Holgorsen said. "I can't say that it's a whole lot different than what it was last year. I thought we had a really good defense last year. There were a couple games in October where we gave up yardage and points, but we finished second in the league (in total defense) and the numbers aren't that much different. I think recruiting and the overall aspect of how we ply has changed over the last four years. We have a defensive coordinator in Tony Gibson who is doing a good job and a staff who is doing a god job.

"Last year we had four secondary guys who all went to the NFL. Those guys were good, and I don't see a whole lot different now. We had really good players last year but the ball didn't bounce our way and we had an awful schedule. Those guys left and we replaced them with guys who are capable. It looks the same to me. I said that in camp and I'm glad everybody else is starting to take notice as well."

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey...we are a family here ...a bit dysfunctional..but we are family...so sure why not!!..:lol:
If he is allowed, he doesn't get a window seat, has to sit in the middle next to old Aunt Gertrude.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It only took 5 1/2 years to get Dad on the bandwagon. Welcome

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It only took 5 1/2 years to get Dad on the bandwagon. Welcome
I don't think he is on board yet, Another. He said he was attempting to pay a compliment. That's why he doesn't get a good seat.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, Holgorsen has changed, I have not. He has learned to delegate to his assistants, he has figured out that you must play some defense, he has figured out that a running game and strong line play is needed. For four years he tried to play video game Canadian football. He is far from my favorite guy, but he is learning his job. There is a lot of football to be played, and he has to keep the kids grounded, which is a huge job for a program not used to being in the spotlight. I hope we keep winning, but the beef of the schedule lies ahead!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do some feel they have a right to change history? Why would anyone continue to claim Dana did not believe in defense? Is this an opinion based on what they saw with their own eyes? An opinion based on results?

I've always hated those who take a lazy approach to anything in life. IMO, it is so lazy to refer to 9 win seasons of a former coach and whine like a bitch about firing this coach when most educated fans understood how damn easy it was to win 9 games when playing such a weak schedule.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During Dana's first year at WVU, he commented on how important the run game was to his offense. He cited how he had the #9 rusher in the country with over 1,500 yds at Okie St. Billy's Noel Devine finished with 930 yds that same season finishing with a #65 ranking.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2012, WVU entered Big 12 play with a depleted roster. They had but 60 some scholarship players. A new DC and staff. They lost a ton of star player on defense.

Some WVU fans love to cite the star power of the offense... Geno Smith, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. Does anyone remember the other members of the offense? Any stars at the other WR positions? Any stars at the RB positions?

How about the defense. Did Billy recruit a bunch of DL players? How about DB's? Did Billy recruit a bunch of DB's?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a good look back at a preview of the 2012 season from a WVU point of view...

2012 West Virginia Football Preview: Winnipeg, Lubbock And Kindred Spirits

Obviously no change in defensive alignment is going to matter unless the line (and, for that matter, the front seven as a whole) improves. But it's hard to see that happening in 2012 unless newcomers shine. Last year, only three Mountaineers logged more than 5.5 tackles for loss -- tackle Julian Miller, end Bruce Irvin and linebacker Najee Goode -- and all three are gone, taking with them their combined 40.0 tackles for loss, 19.5 sacks and six forced fumbles. Looking at the overall numbers tells us these players were rather all-or-nothing, so perhaps WVU can hold steady in the rankings by simply being steadier; but still, that's a lot of play-making talent to lose. Players like linebacker Terence Garvin (5.5 tackles for loss, two interceptions, three passes broken up) and tackle Will Clarke (5.0 tackles for loss), along with (relative) newcomers to the rotation like junior rush end Chidoziem Ezemma, tackles Shaq Rowell and Imarjaye Albury, and sophomore linebackers Jewone Snow, Jared Barber, and Shaq Petteway will need to quickly bring some production to the table.

The secondary was at least decent last year, but it is going to need some help. Corners Pat Miller and Brodrick Jenkins (combined: four interceptions, 11 passes broken up, 3.5 tackles for loss) return, but they are two of only three returning WVU defensive backs who logged more than 10.0 tackles in 2011 (the third: safety Darwin Cook). And in the Big 12, you need as many quality defensive backs as you can get. That freshman free safety Karl Joseph is already a first-stringer is either really good (he's going to be a complete stud!) or really bad (nobody else was good enough to prevent his ascension).

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Dana... the coach who some say cared nothing about defense... headed into Big 12 conference play with kids recruited for BE play... a black and blue bruiser league... where teams averaged 60+ plays per game on offense. A league which had zone read spread and pro style schemes. And, took a team with no depth... no experience... into a league where teams mostly played Air Raid spread. Teams went uptempo... averaging 80-90 plays/gm.

And, Dana didn't care...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a HC, I would expect most intelligent fans to know... the HC... has to win and do it the best way he can.

If you know your team's defense is going to really struggle in this new league which has prolific QB's who have grown up playing in the Air Raid systems... which has WR studs who are strong... athletic... and fast throughout the league, don't you think most intelligent fans would say... alright... I have to compensate for my team's deficiencies.

How can this be accomplished? Score more points than my opponent? Seems about right!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean for chrissakes... has Bob Stoops decided this year that defense isn't important to him?

He must if we use the kind of stupid fucking logic some of us spit out on this site!