• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official WVU vs TCU game thread

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, Holgorsen has changed, I have not. He has learned to delegate to his assistants, he has figured out that you must play some defense, he has figured out that a running game and strong line play is needed. For four years he tried to play video game Canadian football. He is far from my favorite guy, but he is learning his job. There is a lot of football to be played, and he has to keep the kids grounded, which is a huge job for a program not used to being in the spotlight. I hope we keep winning, but the beef of the schedule lies ahead!!!!

:sad2::sad2:

What are you talking about that this program is not used to being in the spot light......I would say the programs resume over the last 20 plus years would say otherwise

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2012, WVU entered Big 12 play with a depleted roster. They had but 60 some scholarship players. A new DC and staff. They lost a ton of star player on defense.

Some WVU fans love to cite the star power of the offense... Geno Smith, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. Does anyone remember the other members of the offense? Any stars at the other WR positions? Any stars at the RB positions?

How about the defense. Did Billy recruit a bunch of DL players? How about DB's? Did Billy recruit a bunch of DB's?

Well he did...but they could not hack school and left the program! that was a typical Billy Stewart recruit though..how many times did we talk about one of his recruits heading for JUCO .or never makes it to campus!..or does anyone remember BIG FOOT!!

The Strange Case of West Virginia's Tevita Finau

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For real... do you remember the RB Corps Dana took over?

Shawne Alston
Dustin Garrison
Andrew Buie

Garrison and Buie were last minute additions to the '11 recruiting class. Those were the 3 WVU started Big 12 play with.

Is there an improvement at the RB position since Dana's arrival. Anyone think WVU was going to do big things in the running game with that trio?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you remember the other WR's Dana inherited?

Coach Nehlen's grandson...
Ivan McCartney
JD Woods

Anyone think there's been an improvement of talent and depth of talent at the WR position?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:sad2::sad2:

What are you talking about that this program is not used to being in the spot light......I would say the programs resume over the last 20 plus years would say otherwise
Slaton, did you read Nehlen's book? Nehlen, a guy who had been an asst at Michigan prior to coming here said he and his whole team were star struck at the end of the 1988 season with the amount of media that was chasing him and the players. WVU is NOT used to being on the national stage as an Ohio State or Alabama are.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else catch Holgorsen's presser today? He was talking about how much his coaching philosophy has changed in the past five years.........

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else catch Holgorsen's presser today? He was talking about how much his coaching philosophy has changed in the past five years.........
I did not see the interview, but I have seen it on the field.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not see the interview, but I have seen it on the field.

Yeah... no shit! We've been seeing this on the field for the past 3 years!

From last year...

Holgorsen Talks Texas, WVU Run Game

Holgorsen said after the game that his team, if not his very approach to offense, has changed with the available personnel. WVU has a big-time back in Smallwood, whose vision and ability to take one cut and hit the hole has been the one dependable asset this season. It also has solid size along the front, a quarterback able to effectively run read and power football and a physical back in Shell. It all combined for 300 rushing yards and a 31-26 win over Texas Tech in which WVU ran the final 6:47 off the clock in on the final drive.

“We’re able to run the ball better than I ever have in my whole career, regardless of where I’ve been or what the personnel has been,” Holgorsen said. “We’re up over 220 yards a game rushing. It’s something we’ve been focusing on. It starts up front. We’ve got some good linemen up front that really take pride in their pad level and their run blocking stuff. The one thing Skyler Howard’s doing a good job of is getting us into the right run play. They have to account for him. He can do some things in the run game. When you have a couple good back, it certainly helps.”

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 3 seasons ago...

WVU heads into bye with No. 13 K-State looming

"Everything we do starts with the run game. I thought we did a great job in that against TCU. I thought it was pretty average against Texas. When we have favorable numbers to be able to run the ball, we need to be able to run the ball."

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dana loves to be able to take what the defense gives him. If the defense goes light in the box, he wants to be able to pound the rock. If the defense loads to box, he wants to be able to pass the ball.

Last year, the offense was close. They could not pass pro well enough to make them completely balanced. The OL play improved greatly between the KSU game and the bowl game against ASU.

This year, things look even sharper...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slaton, did you read Nehlen's book? Nehlen, a guy who had been an asst at Michigan prior to coming here said he and his whole team were star struck at the end of the 1988 season with the amount of media that was chasing him and the players. WVU is NOT used to being on the national stage as an Ohio State or Alabama are.

DAD..that was 28 YEARS AGO!!..since then..the team was 13-9 loss away from a NC...Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Gator Bowl Champs

West Virginia has finished a season ranked in at least one of the Associated Press (AP) or Coaches polls on 19 occasions.[118] The Mountaineers have finished ranked amongst the top 10 in college football on five occasions. West Virginia attained its highest-ever ranking in the polls during week 14 of the 2007 season, when they were ranked #1 in the Coaches Poll and #2 in the AP Poll.[119] Since the implementation of the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) in 1998, West Virginia has finished the regular season ranked seven times in the final BCS standings. The Bowl Coalition, a predecessor to the current BCS system, ranked WVU at #3 in its final standings at the conclusion of the 1993 regular season.

The Mountaineers are used to being in the spotlight!...

I no am not suggesting they are Alabama or Ohio State....but only a maybe 5 other teams are...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He didn't need to tell me! I already knew!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dana loves to be able to take what the defense gives him. If the defense goes light in the box, he wants to be able to pound the rock. If the defense loads to box, he wants to be able to pass the ball.

Last year, the offense was close. They could not pass pro well enough to make them completely balanced. The OL play improved greatly between the KSU game and the bowl game against ASU.

This year, things look even sharper...

and back to the issues with being able to recruit more than an "Effort Player" at the offensive and defensive line...its just never going to be a sweet spot for this program for what ever reason..it's always going to struggle with consistency year in and year out.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and back to the issues with being able to recruit more than an "Effort Player" at the offensive and defensive line...its just never going to be a sweet spot for this program for what ever reason..it's always going to struggle with consistency year in and year out.

Yeah... it's always been this way. I think WVU has done pretty well evaluating kids lately. McKivitiz looks like the real deal. Lazard, Cajuste have both been solid early performers.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "elite" programs always can attract the top shelf linemen, the second tier schools, like us, can get great skill players, great dbs, and a great lineman here and there, but the Ohio States and Alabamas have a complete lock on five star linemen across both lines!!! That is one thing that Fraud did exceptionally well when he was here, he took those smaller, quicker linemen and schemed for their strengths.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like everyone knew... except... for DAD!
BB, I don't know what your malfunction is, I said I liked how Holgorsen has changed his coaching style as he has learned his job, you came on the attack saying that he hasn't changed anything. You say how he has changed to prove that he hasn't changed, I point to a presser Holgorsen held today where he said himself how much his philosophy has changed, and you said everyone knew he changed but me...........WTF dude

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "elite" programs always can attract the top shelf linemen, the second tier schools, like us, can get great skill players, great dbs, and a great lineman here and there, but the Ohio States and Alabamas have a complete lock on five star linemen across both lines!!! That is one thing that Fraud did exceptionally well when he was here, he took those smaller, quicker linemen and schemed for their strengths.

Well I think it has more to do with the in state talent they can draw from..But Rich recruited EFFORT players as well..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR as it seems is a bit over valued for what he did here. Not knocking the games he won here, but as it seems he was not the HC were all put him up there to be since leaving he has only coached at Power 5 schools and not really had much success. He was able to develop a pretty good offense here against lesser competition, but when given the keys to one of the easiest places to recruit he had very little success.

DH has had to mold his offense as the talent changed both on his team and with the opponent. I think that shows a lot more value and if he stays here will be a very good thing for our future. He has told us every step of the way what he was trying to do and now we are seeing the fruits of those labors. DH has really improved our recruiting by filling classes, developing the talent coming in and the overall talent level of the recruits coming in...couple more wins and this class is going to finish pretty damn strong.