• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Number of fans killed by lightning at NFL games

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure in the entire history of the NFL the grand total is zero. Do I have a point? Yes, even if something is very scary five decades of no fatalities should be evidence enough that the game should continue. A black widow might sneak in and bite me on my balls if I fall asleep in front of the TV. Maybe they need to take that potential hazard into consideration. It really is probably more likely for someone to get killed in a boredom related death like alcohol poisoning or fighting during the delay.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably zero because of all the precautions you want to get rid of.

Ever think of that?!

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lightning is scary shit. I was probably 20 feet from a lightning strike a few weeks ago and almost went deaf.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew I'd get that reaction. It's incredible to me. Even zero occurrences isnt enough to squelch irrational fears. There's probably been at least one person to drown in a toilet at a game.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew I'd get that reaction. It's incredible to me. Even zero occurrences isnt enough to squelch irrational fears. There's probably been at least one person to drown in a toilet a game.
It's also irrational to not take precautions when the minuscule precaution to prevent the loss of human life costs virtually nothing. It's unlikely a terrorist hijacks a plane, but it could happen and time can and should be used to minimize or eliminate said small risk.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably zero because of all the precautions you want to get rid of.

Ever think of that?!
Pretty much this.

In the last 100 years, the number of houses burning down due to lightning strikes has fallen dramatically. It is almost zero in the western world! So, why bother with those lightning rods at the top of houses?

That is the logic you are currently using.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The concern is also for the players on the field. Fans can move indoors but the players are in the open surrounded by electronic equipment. So its probably more so for the benefit of the NFL employees.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also irrational to not take precautions when the minuscule precaution to prevent the loss of human life costs virtually nothing. It's unlikely a terrorist hijacks a plane, but it could happen and time can and should be used to minimize or eliminate said small risk.

I'm not talking about hijackings. I'm talking about lightning strikes at NFL games.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much this.

In the last 100 years, the number of houses burning down due to lightning strikes has fallen dramatically. It is almost zero in the western world! So, why bother with those lightning rods at the top of houses?

That is the logic you are currently using.

I didn't say anything about lightning rods.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about hijackings. I'm talking about lightning strikes at NFL games.
I understand. I am trying to explain why you would have precautions for something that is statistically very unlikely to happen using a much more relatable circumstance than lightning rods.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The concern is also for the players on the field. Fans can move indoors but the players are in the open surrounded by electronic equipment. So its probably more so for the benefit of the NFL employees.

I've never seen a player get struck by lightning. Seems like it would make the news...

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several football fans leaving the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa were hurt by a lightning blast following an afternoon game.

Seven people were hospitalized following the Tampa Buccaneers 20-3 loss against the Green Bay Packers after being injured during a lightning strike, Tampa Fire Rescue spokesman Jason Penny told the Daily News.

It's not known if the victims, who were both men and women between the ages of 20 to 40 years old, suffered a direct hit or were shocked by a nearby bolt.

"It was close by ... knocked some people to the ground and kicked up some rocks and gravel," Penny added.

One patient lost consciousness during the strike reported to 911 at 4:11 p.m., but woke up by the time medics arrived.

The strike about 200 feet from what Penny described as the "big flag" may have injured an additional four to five fans, he added, but those victims did not seek medical treatment from paramedics at the stadium.

The bolt apparently blasted a car, shattering its roof and injuring at least 11 people nearby.

“I never saw the streak. I just saw this huge flash,” Packers fan Bruce Kudick, of Sarasota, Fla. said. “It was like a bomb went off.”

Photos from the scene show several emergency vehicles that swarmed the north parking lot where victims had been injured during the strike.

The patients were taken to St. Joseph's Hospital and are in stable conditon.

There have been no confirmed reports of fatalities.

Radar from the National Weather Service shows a large storm that passed through Tampa to the northeast during the late afternoon.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say anything about lightning rods.
. . .

You can't actually be that stupid.

Okay everyone, we've got a troll. Abandon the thread! Do not feed him!

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand. I am trying to explain why you would have precautions for something that is statistically very unlikely to happen using a much more relatable circumstance than lightning rods.

Give me something that has NEVER happened then.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several football fans leaving the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa were hurt by a lightning blast following an afternoon game.

Seven people were hospitalized following the Tampa Buccaneers 20-3 loss against the Green Bay Packers after being injured during a lightning strike, Tampa Fire Rescue spokesman Jason Penny told the Daily News.

It's not known if the victims, who were both men and women between the ages of 20 to 40 years old, suffered a direct hit or were shocked by a nearby bolt.

"It was close by ... knocked some people to the ground and kicked up some rocks and gravel," Penny added.

One patient lost consciousness during the strike reported to 911 at 4:11 p.m., but woke up by the time medics arrived.

The strike about 200 feet from what Penny described as the "big flag" may have injured an additional four to five fans, he added, but those victims did not seek medical treatment from paramedics at the stadium.

The bolt apparently blasted a car, shattering its roof and injuring at least 11 people nearby.

“I never saw the streak. I just saw this huge flash,” Packers fan Bruce Kudick, of Sarasota, Fla. said. “It was like a bomb went off.”

Photos from the scene show several emergency vehicles that swarmed the north parking lot where victims had been injured during the strike.

The patients were taken to St. Joseph's Hospital and are in stable conditon.

There have been no confirmed reports of fatalities.

Radar from the National Weather Service shows a large storm that passed through Tampa to the northeast during the late afternoon.

This is a developing story and will be updated.
There we go.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never seen a player get struck by lightning. Seems like it would make the news...

Probably because they arent sitting out in the open during a lightning storm. Wont happen if no one is there to be struck..... You must be a blast at parties always arguing how the chicken came first.