• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has to deal with administration, boosters, and press obligations. That isn’t something unique for blue bloods. I would rather have to deal with easier recruiting and getting more wins over next to no chance of top ten classes.

The time associated with that stuff is a lot different than at a blue blood. You have to recruit at small colleges also. You are still fighting over kids. That isn't necessarily coaching. Bill Belicheck probably would have been a bad college coach. Great football coach, but I have a hard time believing he could have won a lot of living rooms. The truth is if you asked me to pick either the questionable coach/killer recruiter or questionable recruiter/killer coach to take over a blue blood, I would probably pick the recruiter. That is probably the biggest predictor of success in college. If you get consistent top 5/10 classes, you are only going to have to Coach a couple games a year vs teams that are not totally outclassed

Last edited:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The time associated with that stuff is a lot different than at a blue blood.
I think that is just a made up BS excuse Texas fans use because you don’t hear this constant whining about boosters with anyone else.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a long debate. Coaching at a blue blood requires things that a small school doesnt.. if you tell me that you are setting up a league with 100% equal talent and just need a college coach to purely coach the team, I am taking Snyder over everyone. The big question marks when a rising star comes up is can he recruit with the big boys and can he manage the administration, boosters, and press obligations and still be as effective. Those arent necessarily "coaching" things, but program management has knee capped many a goid coach on his way up the ladder
A very long debate. And "fit" comes into play as well. Which is why I can't see someone like Mike Leach being a "fit" at a blue blood. I can't see him schmoozing with BMDs and other boosters that want to nose around in some of the higher profile programs. He'd pop off to them real quick. Also can't see him working for an administration that is all wrapped up more in "proper" image instead of fun loving zaniness.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The time associated with that stuff is a lot different than at a blue blood. You have to recruit at small colleges also. You are still fighting over kids. That isn't necessarily coaching. Bill Belicheck probably would have been a bad college coach. Great football coach, but I have a hard time believing he could have won a lot of living rooms. The truth is if you asked me to pick either the questionable coach/killer recruiter or questionable recruiter/killer coach to take over a blue blood, I would probably pick the recruiter. That is probably the biggest predictor of success in college. If you get consistent top 5/10 classes, you are only going to have to Coach a couple games a year vs teams that are not totally outclassed
I believe the past several years have proven this to be pretty damned correct. Talent can cover up a world of coaching sins. Not all of 'em, but a bunch.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is just a made up BS excuse Texas fans use because you don’t hear this constant whining about boosters with anyone else.

Wow. Its seems people on the Hoop people will argue against the most obvious truths. I was unaware that Southwest Laffayette State had coaching shows, statewide appearances, booster dinners, and press conferences to attend to almost weekly .

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Its seems people on the Hoop people will argue against the most obvious truths. I was unaware that Southwest Laffayette State had coaching shows, statewide appearances, booster dinners, and press conferences to attend to almost weekly .
So you think there is significantly more appearances for blue bloods than second tier teams like Miami, Michigan State, Oregon, Wisconsin, etc where it would over take the fact that it is ridiculously more easy for them to recruit top tier talent over second tier programs? Maybe Texas fans should care more about the program they are allegedly a fan of rather than feeding their own ego by monopolizing the head coaches time?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think there is significantly more appearances for blue bloods than second tier teams like Miami, Michigan State, Oregon, Wisconsin, etc where it would over take the fact that it is ridiculously more easy for them to recruit top tier talent over second tier programs? Maybe Texas fans should care more about the program they are allegedly a fan of rather than feeding their own ego by monopolizing the head coaches time?

Most of this was talking about coaches that come from smaller schools. Is there more BS at Michigan compared to MSU, yes. Not sure the degree. When you are talking about going from Ark State to Auburn, it is a huge difference. Unfortunately, you are trying to twist this into some nonsensical tangent about Texas. I am sure you have your reasons for that, which I won't even pretend to care about

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of this was talking about coaches that come from smaller schools. Is there more BS at Michigan compared to MSU, yes. Not sure the degree. When you are talking about going from Ark State to Auburn, it is a huge difference. Unfortunately, you are trying to twist this into some nonsensical tangent about Texas. I am sure you have your reasons for that, which I won't even pretend to care about
Yes there is more BS at Michigan than at Michigan State. Is it significantly easier to recruit at Michigan than at Michigan State? I’m fairly certain that the BS that blue bloods deal with is more than compensated by how much easier it is to get quality players.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes there is more BS at Michigan than at Michigan State. Is it significantly easier to recruit at Michigan than at Michigan State? I’m fairly certain that the BS that blue bloods deal with is more than compensated by how much easier it is to get quality players.

I have never said blue bloods don't have that advantage. I have consistently said programs have ceilings. My point was merely that many good coaches fail at fulfill their promise at Blue Bloods, because they are not ready to deal with all the BS required. Its not because they lack the coaching chops.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never said blue bloods don't have that advantage. I have consistently said programs have ceilings. My point was merely that many good coaches fail at fulfill their promise at Blue Bloods, because they are not ready to deal with all the BS required. Its not because they lack the coaching chops.
I have never heard Alabama fans complain about Saban spending so much time doing interviews. I have never heard Ohio State fans whine about having to meet boosters. Why is it we hear about these hardships only from Texas fans?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never heard Alabama fans complain about Saban spending so much time doing interviews. I have never heard Ohio State fans whine about having to meet boosters. Why is it we hear about these hardships only from Texas fans?

I never complained about it. I have no idea where you are getting that from. It would be like me talking about supporting r*pe and pedophilia, because you are a MSU fan.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10172015-HuskiesOregonGalleryNew_05-780x598.jpg

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin #4 and Shaw just "good coach"? I wouldn't even put Franklin ahead of Shaw

You can put him wherever you please. This is about personal opinions. Shaw just went
9-5 with 16 returning starters and his recruiting dropped almost out of sight. (60's or 70's
in Rivals)

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you hit on something here Chewie. And it brings these type questions to my mind each time.

1. Would the coaches with the nattys (Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Jimbo) be able to achieve the same success as Dantonio, Shaw, Snyder and Fitzgerald have achieved if they were at schools like Michigan State, Stanford, K-State, and Northwestern instead of Bama, tOSU, Clem and FSU?
2. And vice versa. Would Dantonio, Shaw, Snyder and Fitzgerald be able to achieve the same success as Saban, Meyer, Dabo and Jimbo have achieved if they were at schools like Bama, tOSU, Clemson and Florida State?

There are definitely a lot of coaches that seem to obtain much better results than their talent indicates they should. And, there are also a lot of coaches that obtain inferior results according to their talent.

For #1 Dantonio was 44-23 his first 5 years at Mich St. Saban was just 34-24-1 in his 5 years.
The next 6 years Dantonio has gone 56-22.

Meyer has won big everywhere he's coached. Low mid-majors (Bowling Green) High Mid-Majors
(Utah) Then at Florida and Ohio St. Saban won big his only year at Toledo. Mich St was so-so
LSU and Bama have been excellent.

Dabo and Fisher would never take a mid-major job. Muschamp wouldn't...Smart wouldn't.
They won't take those jobs because it could harm their resumes. So they remain assistants.

Some coaches demand more than 4 or 5 stars are willing to give. I doubt Snyder babies anybody.

It's all about personalities.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can put him wherever you please. This is about personal opinions. Shaw just went
9-5 with 16 returning starters and his recruiting dropped almost out of sight. (60's or 70's
in Rivals)

Stanford was young they only had a 14 recruit class this season. 247 and Scout has them in the late 30s . Stanfords one of those teams you can't judge by star rankings.
2011 11–2
2012 12–2
2013 11–3
2014 8–5
2015 12–2
2016 10–3
2017 9–5
Thats 73 wins since 2011. Mark Dantonio who you have at #6 has 67 wins since 2011 and Dantonio doesn't have to deal with academics of Stanford in trying to get kids in.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford was young they only had a 14 recruit class this season. 247 and Scout has them in the late 30s . Stanfords one of those teams you can't judge by star rankings.
2011 11–2
2012 12–2
2013 11–3
2014 8–5
2015 12–2
2016 10–3
2017 9–5
Thats 73 wins since 2011. Mark Dantonio who you have at #6 has 67 wins since 2011 and Dantonio doesn't have to deal with academics of Stanford in trying to get kids in.

Every coach seems to have a down year if his record is long enough. I honestly thought about putting Petersen over Urban, because I haven't forgotten the mess he left Florida in. Left him at #2, because of BG and Utah. In general the lists seem to suffer from a recency bias.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every coach seems to have a down year if his record is long enough. I honestly thought about putting Petersen over Urban, because I haven't forgotten the mess he left Florida in. Left him at #2, because of BG and Utah. In general the lists seem to suffer from a recency bias.
What have you done for me lately? :noidea:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 in the game right now

1. Saban - duh
2. Urban - duh
3. Dabo - duh
4. Smart - His 2017 season followed by his 2018 recruiting class is amazing. He will win a title soon
5. Dantonio - 6/8 seasons this decade of double digit wins at Michigan State is incredible; only 2 such seasons before 2010
6. Franklin - Rejuvenated the program entirely from it's darkest days, they are now a national power
7. Petersen - Doing a solid job at Wisconsin but needs to take the next step and capture a big OOC win soon
8. Jimbo - Has a NC but is definitely on the decline. Will need a monster debut at A&M to retain top 10 status IMO
9. Chryst - 34 wins in 3 seasons with multiple ranked OOC wins at Wisconsin is extremely impressive
10. Riley - Monster 1st year, we'll see how he does post-Mayfield

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 in the game right now

1. Saban - duh
2. Urban - duh
3. Dabo - duh
4. Smart - His 2017 season followed by his 2018 recruiting class is amazing. He will win a title soon
5. Dantonio - 6/8 seasons this decade of double digit wins at Michigan State is incredible; only 2 such seasons before 2010
6. Franklin - Rejuvenated the program entirely from it's darkest days, they are now a national power
7. Petersen - Doing a solid job at Washington but needs to take the next step and capture a big OOC win soon
8. Jimbo - Has a NC but is definitely on the decline. Will need a monster debut at A&M to retain top 10 status IMO
9. Chryst - 34 wins in 3 seasons with multiple ranked OOC wins at Wisconsin is extremely impressive
10. Riley - Monster 1st year, we'll see how he does post-Mayfield
Fixed #7 for you.