• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petrino's stock is falling IMO.

There's no way you should lose 5 games with a talent like Lamar Jackson at QB.

That is 1 season and Lamar is 1 player. That is the issue with putting in coaches with a long history, there will always be a season to argue against him. Kirby has 2 season and 1 was worse than Petrino's last year, but you have him top 10. I think Petrino could have been 1 or the elite coaches, if his personal short comings didn't get in the way. That is why Saban is easily #1. He is 1 of the few coaches with a long resume that you will be hard pressed to find that WTF season

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the dunces posting the top 3 and then saying "everyone else" afterwards, the title of the thread spells out what the thread is for pretty clearly. That's just flat out laziness.
eat-a-dick.gif.cf.gif

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly has turned UCLA into cool school in LA and he has only been there for a couple months. Just wait.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is 1 season and Lamar is 1 player. That is the issue with putting in coaches with a long history, there will always be a season to argue against him. Kirby has 2 season and 1 was worse than Petrino's last year, but you have him top 10. I think Petrino could have been 1 or the elite coaches, if his personal short comings didn't get in the way

Petrino has never won a conference championship, Kirby Smart has. Petrino has never made a NCG, Kirby has.

And 8-5 is 8-5.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petrino has never won a conference championship, Kirby Smart has. Petrino has never made a NCG, Kirby has.

And 8-5 is 8-5.

He has multiple conference championships. He never took a job that gave him an advantage in recruiting over his conference brethren like Smart did. In fact at Ark, he had a distinct recruiting disadvantage.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And 8-5 is 8-5.

Well if 8-5 knocks you out, why is Smart in your top 10? Georgia won 10 games in 2014 and 2015, Smart went 8-5 in 2016.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has multiple conference championships. He never took a job that gave him an advantage in recruiting over his conference brethren like Smart did. In fact at Ark, he had a distinct recruiting disadvantage.

I forgot about his first stint at Louisville.

At some point, results matter though.

If Louisville fails to make a bowl game this season, which is a real possibility, would your stance remain the same.

But I'm from Georgia, and after what he did to the Falcons., it'll always be hard for me to give him any credit.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if 8-5 knocks you out, why is Smart in your top 10? Georgia won 10 games in 2014 and 2015, Smart went 8-5 in 2016.

Do you know how hard it is to win 10 games as an SEC team and end the season unranked?

That 2015 season was the most hollow 10 win season of all time(2011 season is the only one that comes close). Destroyed by Bama. Destroyed by Florida(in large part due to a coaching decision that cost Richt his job), blew a big lead against Tennessee to lose.

Those were the only 3 teams we played with a pulse.

We were legitimately a good team in 2014, but Richt's annual choke job against Florida, and every other year choke job against Spurrier cost us the SEC East to a team we beat 34-0 in their house.

And I have Smart in my top 10 because he just took Georgia to a NCG and is absolutely killing it in recruiting.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about his first stint at Louisville.

At some point, results matter though.

If Louisville fails to make a bowl game this season, which is a real possibility, would your stance remain the same.

But I'm from Georgia, and after what he did to the Falcons., it'll always be hard for me to give him any credit.

He is a dick, so I get that. He just think he is a he'll of a coach

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know how hard it is to win 10 games as an SEC team and end the season unranked?

That 2015 season was the most holly 10 win season of all time(2011 season is the only one that comes close). Destroyed by Bama. Destroyed by Florida(in large part due to a coaching decision that cost Richt his job), blew a big lead against Tennessee to lose.

Those were the only 3 teams we played with a pulse.

We were legitimately a good team in 2014, but Richt's annual choke job against Florida, and every other year choke job against Spurrier cost us the SEC East to a team we beat 34-0 in their house.

And I have Smart in my top 10 because he just took Georgia to a NCG and is absolutely killing it in recruiting.

Winning 8bat Georgia in a down SEC east is just bad. It was 1 season, so it may prove to be the anomaly. Happy to say Kirby looks like he will work his way onto the list, but it's too early to include him.

By the way, you have Jimbo on the list. He just FSU going 5-6 and leaving the place a mess. Your 8-5 comment seems arbitrary.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning 8bat Georgia in a down SEC east is just bad. It was 1 season, so it may prove to be the anomaly. Happy to say Kirby looks like he will work his way onto the list, but it's too early to include him.

By the way, you have Jimbo on the list. He just FSU going 5-6 and leaving the place a mess. Your 8-5 comment seems arbitrary.

Jimbo has the Natty to his name though. I didn't like it, but when there's only 4 active coaches with a natty, being one of them means something.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimbo has the Natty to his name though. I didn't like it, but when there's only 4 active coaches with a natty, being one of them means something.

So does Chizik. Not ever NC coach is a great coach. Sometimes you catch lightening in a bottle with a talented roster and excellent staff. All I can say about Jimbo is he left FSU worse than he found it.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does Chizik. Not ever NC coach is a great coach. Sometimes you catch lightening in a bottle with a talented roster and excellent staff. All I can say about Jimbo is he left FSU worse than he found it.

Chizik is in the television booth. And it took Jimbo some time to get FSU into title contention after Bowden was forced out. Probably left it in about the same shape he found it IMO.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Saban (Obvious)

2- Meyer (Also Obvious)

3- Dabo (NC, plus they've been consistently good)

4- Franklin (None of the top 3 would have even taken the Vandy job or Penn St job
in the condition that they were in. He's won at both)

5- Bill Snyder (Almost a 700 winning pct at a school who barely won 30% of their games
in the other 100 years)

6- Pat Fitzgerald (Anybody that can make Northwestern a consistent winner with very little
recruiting ability has to be in the Top10)

7- Dantonio (He's does a lot with not great recruiting)

8- Peterson (I'd like to see more from him at Washington but he has turned them around)

9- David Cutcliffe (All those that can get Duke to break even please raise your hand)

10-Jeff Monken (Army) He's turned Army totally around...Plus when he was at Ga Southern
when they were FCS he beat Florida at Florida Field and never threw a pass in the game)

HM- No particular Order

Ken Niumatalolo (Navy)
Rocky Long (San Diego St and New Mexico)
Jimbo Fisher because of the NC but he was only 17-15 vs the Top 25 and10-14 w/o Jamies Winston
Bobby Petrino (Helluva a game day coach)
Gary Patterson (Deserves an HM)
Mike Gundy (He doesn't recruit well either but he does win)

Other good coaches not on the list.

David Shaw (He has done a decent job, but he's lost some of his stuff)
Mark Richt (Excellent job with Miami so far and a great job at UGA, but he should
have gotten UGA higher more consistently
Kirby Smart. Not after 2 years. We need to see a longer time frame to make this list

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Saban (Obvious)

2- Meyer (Also Obvious)

3- Dabo (NC, plus they've been consistently good)

4- Franklin (None of the top 3 would have even taken the Vandy job or Penn St job
in the condition that they were in. He's won at both)

5- Bill Snyder (Almost a 700 winning pct at a school who barely won 30% of their games
in the other 100 years)

6- Pat Fitzgerald (Anybody that can make Northwestern a consistent winner with very little
recruiting ability has to be in the Top10)

7- Dantonio (He's does a lot with not great recruiting)

8- Peterson (I'd like to see more from him at Washington but he has turned them around)

9- David Cutcliffe (All those that can get Duke to break even please raise your hand)

10-Jeff Monken (Army) He's turned Army totally around...Plus when he was at Ga Southern
when they were FCS he beat Florida at Florida Field and never threw a pass in the game)

HM- No particular Order

Ken Niumatalolo (Navy)
Rocky Long (San Diego St and New Mexico)
Jimbo Fisher because of the NC but he was only 17-15 vs the Top 25 and10-14 w/o Jamies Winston
Bobby Petrino (Helluva a game day coach)
Gary Patterson (Deserves an HM)
Mike Gundy (He doesn't recruit well either but he does win)

Other good coaches not on the list.

David Shaw (He has done a decent job, but he's lost some of his stuff)
Mark Richt (Excellent job with Miami so far and a great job at UGA, but he should
have gotten UGA higher more consistently
Kirby Smart. Not after 2 years. We need to see a longer time frame to make this list

Franklin #4 and Shaw just "good coach"? I wouldn't even put Franklin ahead of Shaw

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the a non blue blood program, the second biggest draw in a state devoid of talent. Hard to recruit nationally at a school like Michigan State. He takes what he can get and does more with it than most would be able to.
I believe you hit on something here Chewie. And it brings these type questions to my mind each time.

1. Would the coaches with the nattys (Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Jimbo) be able to achieve the same success as Dantonio, Shaw, Snyder and Fitzgerald have achieved if they were at schools like Michigan State, Stanford, K-State, and Northwestern instead of Bama, tOSU, Clem and FSU?
2. And vice versa. Would Dantonio, Shaw, Snyder and Fitzgerald be able to achieve the same success as Saban, Meyer, Dabo and Jimbo have achieved if they were at schools like Bama, tOSU, Clemson and Florida State?

There are definitely a lot of coaches that seem to obtain much better results than their talent indicates they should. And, there are also a lot of coaches that obtain inferior results according to their talent.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chizik is in the television booth. And it took Jimbo some time to get FSU into title contention after Bowden was forced out. Probably left it in about the same shape he found it IMO.

He went 5-6 in his final season there. They haven't looked that bad since it was a girls school

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you hit on something here Chewie. And it brings these type questions to my mind each time.

1. Would the coaches with the nattys (Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Jimbo) be able to achieve the same success as Dantonio, Shaw, Snyder and Fitzgerald have achieved if they were at schools like Michigan State, Stanford, K-State, and Northwestern instead of Bama, tOSU, Clem and FSU?
2. And vice versa. Would Dantonio, Shaw, Snyder and Fitzgerald be able to achieve the same success as Saban, Meyer, Dabo and Jimbo have achieved if they were at schools like Bama, tOSU, Clemson and Florida State?

There are definitely a lot of coaches that seem to obtain much better results than their talent indicates they should. And, there are also a lot of coaches that obtain inferior results according to their talent.

It's a long debate. Coaching at a blue blood requires things that a small school doesnt.. if you tell me that you are setting up a league with 100% equal talent and just need a college coach to purely coach the team, I am taking Snyder over everyone. The big question marks when a rising star comes up is can he recruit with the big boys and can he manage the administration, boosters, and press obligations and still be as effective. Those arent necessarily "coaching" things, but program management has knee capped many a goid coach on his way up the ladder

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went 5-6 in his final season there. They haven't looked that bad since it was a girls school

Bobby Bowden went 7-6 his final season at FSU before Fisher took over. The same record FSU finished with last season.

So, about the same shape IMO.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a long debate. Coaching at a blue blood requires things that a small school doesnt.. if you tell me that you are setting up a league with 100% equal talent and just need a college coach to purely coach the team, I am taking Snyder over everyone. The big question marks when a rising star comes up is can he recruit with the big boys and can he manage the administration, boosters, and press obligations and still be as effective. Those arent necessarily "coaching" things, but program management has knee capped many a goid coach on his way up the ladder
Everyone has to deal with administration, boosters, and press obligations. That isn’t something unique for blue bloods. I would rather have to deal with easier recruiting and getting more wins over next to no chance of top ten classes.