• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan
6. Dylan
7. Dylan
8. Dylan
9. Dylan
10. Dylan

He spits hot fire.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh LSU is supposed to have a stellar defense and friggen Tejas put up 38 points on them. Maybe, just maybe, the offenses in the the Big 12 contribute to the "bad" Big 12 defense perception?

I would add that in the past Big 12 defenses are built a bit different than most other conferences to deal with spread and tempo.

The above said, I see a different Big 12 coming about in the near future. The newer coach hires at T Tech, W Virginia and K State are cut from a different cloth. Matt Rhule also is a bit different.

With
Good point

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Saban
2. Sweeney

3. Doesn't matter

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also question any list with Jimbo.

He ran FSU into the ground with rapist disciplinary issues and his marriage with aTm will end in disaster, I'm sure of it. Coaches have other standards than just success and he flunked out at FSU. I wouldn't want that sleaze anywhere near OU.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh LSU is supposed to have a stellar defense and friggen Tejas put up 38 points on them. Maybe, just maybe, the offenses in the the Big 12 contribute to the "bad" Big 12 defense perception?

I would add that in the past Big 12 defenses are built a bit different than most other conferences to deal with spread and tempo.

The above said, I see a different Big 12 coming about in the near future. The newer coach hires at T Tech, W Virginia and K State are cut from a different cloth. Matt Rhule also is a bit different.

With

We'll see how good LSU's defense is. Last year, they were not a top 25 defense. They were a top 50 passing defense last year, and it will likely be the best defense Texas plays, but there are a number of SEC defenses that were statistically better last year (Mississippi State, Bama, Kentucky, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida). I wouldn't call it stellar, just pretty good and well-rounded (they were like #41 in passing defense and #35 in rushing defense).

I already broke that down in another thread before. In bowl games, the last 5 years, Big 12 teams have allowed more points and more yards against their bowl opponents than the average bowl-eligible team that opponent played during the regular season. Statistically, they've done worse than every other P5 conference defensively. I think TCU is the outlier, which isn't surprising since they're almost always the best defense in the Big 12, and the only one to get close to the top 25. The Big 12's offensive performance in that same metric has been good, but not amazing. They've been around #2 or #3 of the 5 conferences during that time. So no, the offenses being the reason for the defenses looking bad would make sense, but it's not the case. If the defenses are specialized to deal with spread and tempo, the offenses most Big 12 teams run, their defensive statistics should be better than those teams not designed to deal with those offenses. But again, that's not the case.

I think the Big 12 should change its ways. There's a ton of defensive talent in that area, just most of the top recruits leave for the Southeast or Ohio area. But I don't think its entirely lack of talent. Texas had the #112 passing defense last year. Oklahoma had #130. Two of Texas' 3 5 stars on their team are defensive backs. Oklahoma has 4 4 star corners. That's not amazing compared to a few teams (for example, Clemson has 2 5 star and 5 4 star corners). But there's no reason they should be that low, and they should be top 25. I don't think the defensive coordinators are that terrible in the Big 12 (though they're probably a bit worse than their SEC and BIG counterparts). So it's not the coaching, the talent, or the offenses being so good (because they're not).

I really do place a lot of blame on the officiating. It blows my mind how much the Big 12 throws pass interference flags. The only conference to penalize teams more than the Big 12 is the Sun Belt. They're so PI happy that defensive backs have to learn to be completely non-physical and basically not play football. Then, they go play another conference that doesn't have that issue and get stomped. You should go back and watch the Aggies play Clemson and compare it with Texas and LSU. The corners for A&M are so much more physical and aggressive (And that's how it should be). But they shouldn't be more talented at all ( but I do think they'd beat Texas). The only explanation is that the Big 12 officiating is making these corners more soft after they enter college.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It most certainly is true, no other team in the country has a chance with a half ass defense. Like I said, just listen, I promise you football people are saying what I’m saying.

Washington State’s offense > Oklahoma’s offense.

UCLegitstatement

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington State’s offense > Oklahoma’s offense.

UCLegitstatement

The thing is I know he really believed it when he said it.