• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm done, can't fix stupid.
First 3 years after Harbaugh with some of/mostly Harbaugh's recruits: 34-7 (won 83% of games)
Next 4 years with very few/absolutely 0 Harbaugh kids on the roster: 38-15 (won 71% of games)

And I get ripped apart by you for saying he's regressed. You're right, you really can't fix stupid.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATF, with Shaw does it boil down to the fact that he’s never beaten Ohio State (nor has he played them)?

Because their Is No way on God’s green earth anyone could think Lincoln Riley is a better coach then Shaw after 1 year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATF, with Shaw does it boil down to the fact that he’s never beaten Ohio State (nor has he played them)?

Because their Is No way on God’s green earth anyone could think Lincoln Riley is a better coach then Shaw after 1 year.
For me, it honestly boils down to this - Shaw is a good coach. I will put him in the top 15. I feel like he's doing a good job at Stanford, and they should be happy. However, I don't think he is an elite coach.

I look at his HC career in two halves. The first half, he was elite, winning 11 games a season for 3 straight seasons to go along with two conference crowns. Harbaugh left the shelves stocked and life was good for Shaw.

Then in year 4, when most of Harbaugh's recruits were gone, it went south hard, and they lost 5 games. He rebounded in 2015 when the Pac 12 had one of their worst seasons in recent years (only 1 other team won double digit games - Utah - and Stanford didn't even play them; the Pac 12 South champ was 8-6 USC), and he went 12-2. They took a step back in 2016 and went 10-3, when Stanford was absolutely murdered by Washington and Washington State. They beat USC, but that was when Max Browne was playing QB and they started the year 1-3. Had they played them with Darnold, my money is on USC. They finished the year by squeaking out a 2 point win against a very mediocre UNC team. Then last year, they took another step back and went 8-5 in a season where Bryce Love was the only think keeping them above .500.

All in all, I think he's a good coach. He gets paid like one of the elite coaches but has largely not been returning elite results for the last 4 years. I take Riley because I think he's more equipped for the college game today. His season last year was outstanding, and if he's able to keep up the pace next year without Mayfield, I'll be even more firm with my belief he's top 10. He had more ranked wins last year than Shaw has over the last 3 years. That's why, right this second, I rank Riley ahead of him.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it honestly boils down to this - Shaw is a good coach. I will put him in the top 15. I feel like he's doing a good job at Stanford, and they should be happy. However, I don't think he is an elite coach.

I look at his HC career in two halves. The first half, he was elite, winning 11 games a season for 3 straight seasons to go along with two conference crowns. Harbaugh left the shelves stocked and life was good for Shaw.

Then in year 4, when most of Harbaugh's recruits were gone, it went south hard, and they lost 5 games. He rebounded in 2015 when the Pac 12 had one of their worst seasons in recent years (only 1 other team won double digit games - Utah - and Stanford didn't even play them; the Pac 12 South champ was 8-6 USC), and he went 12-2. They took a step back in 2016 and went 10-3, when Stanford was absolutely murdered by Washington and Washington State. They beat USC, but that was when Max Browne was playing QB and they started the year 1-3. Had they played them with Darnold, my money is on USC. They finished the year by squeaking out a 2 point win against a very mediocre UNC team. Then last year, they took another step back and went 8-5 in a season where Bryce Love was the only think keeping them above .500.

All in all, I think he's a good coach. He gets paid like one of the elite coaches but has largely not been returning elite results for the last 4 years. I take Riley because I think he's more equipped for the college game today. His season last year was outstanding, and if he's able to keep up the pace next year without Mayfield, I'll be even more firm with my belief he's top 10. He had more ranked wins last year than Shaw has over the last 3 years. That's why, right this second, I rank Riley ahead of him.

Lincoln Riley was handed keys to a Maserati and told not wreck it. Stoops didn’t just leave the shelves stocked, he extreme couponed those fucking shelves.

If you seriously look at coaching in two halves how in the freaking world can you list Lincoln Riley as elite after one year? His other half isn’t close because his first half isn’t complete yet. He absolutely has the ability to be but at this time he is not a top 10 coach.

An you start pulling up numbers, Franklin doesn’t have close to the numbers Shaw has. Stanford finished #3 in 2015, is that not elite results?

Seriously just because Shaw doesn’t coach a B10 team or didn’t play Ohio State doesn’t mean he isn’t a top 10 coach. Your thought process is ridiculously bias in this. But it’s your opinion.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lincoln Riley was handed keys to a Maserati and told not wreck it. Stoops didn’t just leave the shelves stocked, he extreme couponed those fucking shelves.

If you seriously look at coaching in two halves how in the freaking world can you list Lincoln Riley as elite after one year? His other half isn’t close because his first half isn’t complete yet. He absolutely has the ability to be but at this time he is not a top 10 coach.

An you start pulling up numbers, Franklin doesn’t have close to the numbers Shaw has. Stanford finished #3 in 2015, is that not elite results?

Seriously just because Shaw doesn’t coach a B10 team or didn’t play Ohio State doesn’t mean he isn’t a top 10 coach. Your thought process is ridiculously bias in this. But it’s your opinion.
It's not. My thought process has been extremely well explained.

That's nice that Shaw finished with an undeserved #3 ranking in 2015. I don't think Shaw is an elite coach anymore. He's gone backwards 2 years in a row.

Franklin has gone forward 2 years in a row, finishing ahead of Shaw the last 2 years, soon to be 3 more than likely.

Riley had more ranked wins last year than Shaw has in the last 3 years combined, including that amazing 2015 "elite" season.

The question wasn't "what current coaches were the best several years ago", was it? No, it was "NOW that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?"

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 3 years after Harbaugh with some of/mostly Harbaugh's recruits: 34-7 (won 83% of games)
Next 4 years with very few/absolutely 0 Harbaugh kids on the roster: 38-15 (won 71% of games)

And I get ripped apart by you for saying he's regressed. You're right, you really can't fix stupid.

Shaw just had a 9 win season , Dantonio had a 3 win season in 2016. But Shaws "regressed". lol. Shaw regressed so much he had his team in the conference championship. If thats a bad year it shows you how far he's taken Stanford. Look at Oregon since Chip left. Now thats a steady decline. Look at Florida once Urban left. Look at USC since Pete left. Clays the first coach since Pete to have two back to back 10 win seasons at SC. Shaws coaching and culture has done wonders at Stanford. Harbaugh probably would have flamed out after another year or two. He's looking more and more like the Larry Brown of football. Shaw prevented that decline at Stanford.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw just had a 9 win season , Dantonio had a 3 win season in 2016. But Shaws "regressed". lol. Shaw regressed so much he had his team in the conference championship. If thats a bad year it shows you how far he's taken Stanford. Look at Oregon since Chip left. Now thats a steady decline. Look at Florida once Urban left. Look at USC since Pete left. Clays the first coach since Pete to have two back to back 10 win seasons at SC. Shaws coaching and culture has done wonders at Stanford. Harbaugh probably would have flamed out after another year or two. He's looking more like the Larry Brown of football. Shaw prevented that.
And then Dantonio came back and won 10 games this past year, and he's doing it in a far tougher division of a far tougher conference.

Going to the conference title game with a 9-5 record overall is not a good thing. They lost to USC twice (top team in the conference), so clearly he couldn't get them over the hump. Then toss in a loss to an unranked G5 team and one of the biggest bowl chokejobs in recent memory, and I'm supposed to look at 2017 as some sort of positive for Shaw?

LOL at "Harbaugh would've flamed out". 4 straight years of overwhelming progression, and you come up with something stupid like that. "Shaw's done wonders" my ass. Now that Harbaugh's kids are out of the program, he is progressing. If they end up dropping in win total for a 3rd straight year, are you gonna tell me all about the "wonders" Shaw is doing?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then Dantonio came back and won 10 games this past year, and he's doing it in a far tougher division of a far tougher conference.

Going to the conference title game with a 9-5 record overall is not a good thing. They lost to USC twice (top team in the conference), so clearly he couldn't get them over the hump. Then toss in a loss to an unranked G5 team and one of the biggest bowl chokejobs in recent memory, and I'm supposed to look at 2017 as some sort of positive for Shaw?

LOL at "Harbaugh would've flamed out". 4 straight years of overwhelming progression, and you come up with something stupid like that. "Shaw's done wonders" my ass. Now that Harbaugh's kids are out of the program, he is progressing. If they end up dropping in win total for a 3rd straight year, are you gonna tell me all about the "wonders" Shaw is doing?

LOL. Yeah, Harbaugh has a great record of sticking things out and not upsetting the apple cart. Dude you're killing me. Harbaughs been a train wreck at Michigan and most of the shit he's pulled would have never been allowed at Stanford.
Dantonios won 13 games the past two seasons and Shaw has won 19. But Dantonio .lol
Put that into perspective Urban won 43 games his past four years at Florida including a NC. Shaws won 39 at Stanford the past four seasons. Yeah, he sucks.lol

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Yeah, Harbaugh has a great record of sticking things out and not upsetting the apple cart. Dude you're killing me. Harbaughs been a train wreck at Michigan and most of the shit he's pulled would have never been allowed at Stanford.
That's a little dramatic. He hasn't been elite but he's won 28 games in the last 3 years. That's only 2 less than your lord and savior David Shaw, and he's doing it in a way tougher division/conference.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a little dramatic. He hasn't been elite but he's won 28 games in the last 3 years. That's only 2 less than your lord and savior David Shaw, and he's doing it in a way tougher division/conference.

Ummm Mark Dantonio has won 25 games the past three seasons. Shaws won 31 games the past three seasons.
Thats 6 games less. And Shaws doing it at freakin Stanford. But but but Harbaugh was there seven seasons ago.lol
And again, I hate you for making me defend a Stanford football coach. lol

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm Mark Dantonio has won 25 games the past three seasons. Shaws won 31 games the past three seasons.
Thats 6 games less. And Shaws doing it at freakin Stanford. But but but Harbaugh was there seven seasons ago.lol
And again, I hate you for making me defend a Stanford football coach. lol
Umm you went back and edited your post after I replied. I was talking about Harbaugh, whom you called a trainwreck.

You're right, 31 wins over the last 3 years. So in 3 years, he's won 3 more games than Harbaugh, and I'm supposed to believe Shaw is elite and Harbaugh is a trainwreck. 1 more win per season with a way easier conference slate. Give me a break.

"Doing it at freakin Stanford" means nothing, you know that right? They currently have scholarship offers extended (meaning these kids must have been able to meet their academic requirements) to NINE 5* kids in 2019. Think about that - 9 out of 28 players ranked 5* evidently are able to meet the academic requirements for Stanford. That doesn't even count the tons of 4* kids they've extended offers to. So don't tell me about how it's so hard for Shaw to get talent. Harbaugh built him up a ready-made program with everything in the world to offer a kid.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm you went back and edited your post after I replied. I was talking about Harbaugh, whom you called a trainwreck.

You're right, 31 wins over the last 3 years. So in 3 years, he's won 3 more games than Harbaugh, and I'm supposed to believe Shaw is elite and Harbaugh is a trainwreck. 1 more win per season with a way easier conference slate. Give me a break.

"Doing it at freakin Stanford" means nothing, you know that right? They currently have scholarship offers extended (meaning these kids must have been able to meet their academic requirements) to NINE 5* kids in 2019. Think about that - 9 out of 28 players ranked 5* evidently are able to meet the academic requirements for Stanford. That doesn't even count the tons of 4* kids they've extended offers to. So don't tell me about how it's so hard for Shaw to get talent. Harbaugh built him up a ready-made program with everything in the world to offer a kid.

I said Harbaughs been a train wreck at Michigan.
Some smart players are 5* and Shaw was able to get them. Yeah he's a terrible coach and recruiter. lol. Harbaugh was at Stanford five seasons and couldn't get one 5* to go but now that Shaw has been able to get them it's easy.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Harbaughs been a train wreck at Michigan.
Some smart players are 5* and Shaw was able to get them. Yeah he's a terrible coach and recruiter. lol. Harbaugh was at Stanford five seasons and couldn't get one 5* to go but now that Shaw has been able to get them it's easy.
It still boggles my mind that you don't understand that Harbaugh took over a 1-11 team and after 4 years, Shaw took over a 12-1 team. Do you know that 5* recruits don't go to 1-11 teams with a long history of losing?

I know you said Harbaugh's been a trainwreck at michigan. In your mind the difference between being a trainwreck and being elite is 1 more win per year. And don't sit there and tell me Shaw has some huge disadvantage to Harbaugh in recruiting because "it's freaking Stanford". The academic requirements at michigan are hardly any different.

Some smart players are 5*? That's basically a 3rd of them, dude. They were able to offer another 7 in the 2018 class. But please, tell me how hard it is for them to get elite recruits to qualify. What a load of bullshit.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still boggles my mind that you don't understand that Harbaugh took over a 1-11 team and after 4 years, Shaw took over a 12-1 team. Do you know that 5* recruits don't go to 1-11 teams with a long history of losing?

I know you said Harbaugh's been a trainwreck at michigan. In your mind the difference between being a trainwreck and being elite is 1 more win per year. And don't sit there and tell me Shaw has some huge disadvantage to Harbaugh in recruiting because "it's freaking Stanford". The academic requirements at michigan are hardly any different.

Some smart players are 5*? That's basically a 3rd of them, dude. They were able to offer another 7 in the 2018 class. But please, tell me how hard it is for them to get elite recruits to qualify. What a load of bullshit.

You think Shaw is getting 5* players because Harbaugh was there seven seasons ago and knowing Harbuagh wasn't able to get one to go there five seasons. lol. Yeah OK

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Shaw is getting 5* players because Harbaugh was there seven seasons ago and knowing Harbuagh wasn't able to get one to go there five seasons. lol. Yeah OK
I said Shaw is getting 5* players because it's not impossible like you try and act like it is. Stanford has no problems whatsoever extending offers to 5* kids, not to mention the shitload of 4* kids they offer, so don't ever tell me again that he faces such issues getting kids there.

What Shaw didn't do was take over a loser program. He took over a program that just came off a 12-1 season and had improved dramatically for over 4 years. In fact, I'd argue Harbaugh's 3 years at michigan have been better than Shaw's last 3 at Stanford. Harbaugh took over a loser program and has them back on the right track at least. The fact that Harbaugh has only 1 more loss than Shaw over the last 3 years says a hell of a lot, especially considering michigan's much tougher conference schedule.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Shaw is getting 5* players because it's not impossible like you try and act like it is. Stanford has no problems whatsoever extending offers to 5* kids, not to mention the shitload of 4* kids they offer, so don't ever tell me again that he faces such issues getting kids there.

What Shaw didn't do was take over a loser program. He took over a program that just came off a 12-1 season and had improved dramatically for over 4 years. In fact, I'd argue Harbaugh's 3 years at michigan have been better than Shaw's last 3 at Stanford. Harbaugh took over a loser program and has them back on the right track at least. The fact that Harbaugh has only 1 more loss than Shaw over the last 3 years says a hell of a lot, especially considering michigan's much tougher conference schedule.

Yeah, it's really easy to get football players into Stanford.lol . You have no clue obviously.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's really easy to get football players into Stanford.lol . You have no clue obviously.
Right.

So we've established that it's not difficult to get high end recruits to qualify to play at Stanford.

We've established that Stanford was awful before Harbaugh got there.

We've established that Shaw's last 4 years (without Harbaugh's players) have been much worse than Shaw's first 3 years (with them).

Shaw was given a silver platter program with damn near everything imaginable to offer kids, and he's showing signs of regression.

David Shaw = Not elite.

Good talking with you.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right.

So we've established that it's not difficult to get high end recruits to qualify to play at Stanford.

We've established that Stanford was awful before Harbaugh got there.

We've established that Shaw's last 4 years (without Harbaugh's players) have been much worse than Shaw's first 3 years (with them).

Shaw was given a silver platter program with damn near everything imaginable to offer kids, and he's showing signs of regression.

David Shaw = Not elite.

Good talking with you.
Naw. The only thing we've established is you've got a hardon for Harbaugh. Oh and your theories suck.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw. The only thing we've established is you've got a hardon for Harbaugh. Oh and your theories suck.
LOL stating absolute facts about Harbaugh's past means I have a hardon. Sounds like you've got some other thoughts in your head outside of football, bud.

My theories are sound, you just hate them because they paint Shaw in a light other than him being a god, like you think he is.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not. My thought process has been extremely well explained.

That's nice that Shaw finished with an undeserved #3 ranking in 2015. I don't think Shaw is an elite coach anymore. He's gone backwards 2 years in a row.

Franklin has gone forward 2 years in a row, finishing ahead of Shaw the last 2 years, soon to be 3 more than likely.

Riley had more ranked wins last year than Shaw has in the last 3 years combined, including that amazing 2015 "elite" season.

The question wasn't "what current coaches were the best several years ago", was it? No, it was "NOW that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?"

Your thought process has been explained, hypocriticaly. You condemn Shaw for having success early because it was Harbaugh recruits. In the same exact breath you commend Riley for beating ranked teams (Ohio State being a big factor) all the while forgetting those were Stoops recruits he won with.

An LOL at the reason with Franklin. Most the players that are gone after this past year were O’Brien recruits.

Yes we are talking right NOW. Lincoln Riley is not a top 10 coach after 1 season RIGHT NOW. If he is in your mind, how did you conveniently miss Kirby Smart?