• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL West Talk

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other teams in the division making trades and signings to improve their teams for 2017, while the Padres just add more prospects...:sigh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other teams in the division making trades and signings to improve their teams for 2017, while the Padres just add more prospects...:sigh:
Smart.

No way will they be able to compete with the dogs or Giants, or likely even the Snakes or Rox. They need to reload, and they are.

This will be a rough year for the Pads, though. 3 Rule V guys on the roster does not equate to ticket sales.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart.

No way will they be able to compete with the dogs or Giants, or likely even the Snakes or Rox. They need to reload, and they are.

This will be a rough year for the Pads, though. 3 Rule V guys on the roster does not equate to ticket sales.
I'm not surprised, they've been working on the rebuild since they traded Kimbrel away. Hopefully the Padres will be legit contenders in 3-4 years, it's been too long. Sad to think that a rebuilding, possibly 100 loss Padres team could be the 2nd worst thing in San Diego sports during 2017.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised, they've been working on the rebuild since they traded Kimbrel away. Hopefully the Padres will be legit contenders in 3-4 years, it's been too long. Sad to think that a rebuilding, possibly 100 loss Padres team could be the 2nd worst thing in San Diego sports during 2017.
Hey, at least we just won the Super Bowl...

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still astonished Big Sexy could hit a HR in that park in SD.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still astonished Big Sexy could hit a HR in that park in SD.
That was quite the surprise, even against James Shields who likes to give up the long ball. He might have another chance since he's still in the NL and the Padres pitching is expected to be bad.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 ZiPS Projections – San Diego Padres | FanGraphs Baseball

Padres ZiPS projections from a few weeks ago. Keep in mind these were released right before they non-tendered Ross, who was one of the better pitchers in the NL in 2014 and 2015. That rotation could very well be one of the worst of all-time.
2017 is not gonna be a good year for the Padres. Offensively, I wanna see how Margot and Renfroe do in full seasons and if Myers, Solarte, and Schimpf can improve on the good seasons they had. The average age in the opening day lineup will be around 26 so there will be some struggles, but that's expected. Starting pitching is led by Rule 5 Luis Perdomo and Christian Friedrich, that tells you all you need to know about how bad it could get. I'd like to see Tyson Ross come back on a cheaper deal, but don't expect that. I'm excited to see what guys like Espinoza, Quantrill, Morejon, and Paddack can do but they're at least a year or two away from making the major league roster.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Continuing a Giants tradition. Omar Vizquel and Edgar Renteria approve.
Those signings were different. They were expected to step in and start. Rollins is being brought in on a minor league deal.

I can't imagine he is being brought in for anything other than a job interview for his post-playing career. But why wouldn't he want to coach in the Phil's or A's orgs? He has ties to them.

This one is just a head scratcher.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those signings were different. They were expected to step in and start. Rollins is being brought in on a minor league deal.

I can't imagine he is being brought in for anything other than a job interview for his post-playing career. But why wouldn't he want to coach in the Phil's or A's orgs? He has ties to them.

This one is just a head scratcher.
Rollins had his moments with the White Sox last year. I was a little surprised when the Sox released him. I also didn't care either way because the White Sox blew something awful after they started off hot last season.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was quite the surprise, even against James Shields who likes to give up the long ball. He might have another chance since he's still in the NL and the Padres pitching is expected to be bad.
The James Shields trade was atrocious. I wondered if White Sox GM Rick Hahn had started dabbling in bath salts or something.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The James Shields trade was atrocious. I wondered if White Sox GM Rick Hahn had started dabbling in bath salts or something.
The guy the Padres got back for him sucked too, it was a lose-lose type of move.