• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Aliotti calls Mike Leach " Low Class? What??

scuttlebutt

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,350.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do have to play your guys on a game situation some. Ideally (as already mentioned) you play a more competitive team. Oregon had one scheduled but they backed out and Nicholls is all there was.

Playing the Aggies would have been great for lots of reasons. It eliminates the talk of them being a good win for Bama and it completely takes them out of the NCZg discussion that was had
yea, having to take the Nicholls State game sucks for Ducks fans, and college football fans in general.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Johnson, one of my favorite coaches, had a school of thought on it:

You can't turn it on and off. You work so hard to get your team clicking on all cylinders and when it finally happens, if you turn it off you might not get it back on again. So for that reason, he ran up the score.

He was classy about it.

One year in the Sugar Bowl the Vols. ran up the score on Jimmy Johnson's Hurricane's and Jimmy said, "Hey, he couldn't help it if I didn't have my team ready to play".

If you can dish it out as well as take it, then I'm cool with it.

He even got slammed for continuing to blitz late in games in a blow out and he said, "If the other team gives up trying to score, I'll stop trying to blitz".

I like that.

I'd have more respect for Oregon's HC had he just run up the score and then didn't turn around and whine about the other team setting some sort of non-descript passing record no one knew about anyway.

If you want to score points until the score board explodes that's fine - who the hell cares what the other team does?

But have the balls to say that's what you were doing in the press and if it ever happens to you - zip it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Johnson, one of my favorite coaches, had a school of thought on it:

You can't turn it on and off. You work so hard to get your team clicking on all cylinders and when it finally happens, if you turn it off you might not get it back on again. So for that reason, he ran up the score.

He was classy about it.

One year in the Sugar Bowl the Vols. ran up the score on Jimmy Johnson's Hurricane's and Jimmy said, "Hey, he couldn't help it if I didn't have my team ready to play".

If you can dish it out as well as take it, then I'm cool with it.

He even got slammed for continuing to blitz late in games in a blow out and he said, "If the other team gives up trying to score, I'll stop trying to blitz".

I like that.

I'd have more respect for Oregon's HC had he just run up the score and then didn't turn around and whine about the other team setting some sort of non-descript passing record no one knew about anyway.

If you want to score points until the score board explodes that's fine - who the hell cares what the other team does?

But have the balls to say that's what you were doing in the press and if it ever happens to you - zip it.

:agree:

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the main reasons I hate, hate, HATE Notre Dame is they're hypocrites. Look at the school history. They used to blow out Army Medical by 200 points.

But let Jimmy Johnson and the 'Canes beat them by 50 and, 'OH MY GOD!!!!"

I remember the game down in Miami on that one....Jimmy would later say, "Until my Cowboys blew out the Bills in our first SB, I'd never seen a more perfect game from one of my teams".

He had a punt return called late in the game and the upback for Notre Dame missed the block. What was Jimmy'd boy supposed to do? Take a bow and not block the punt?

But Ara Pargiensen up in the CBS broadcast booth nearly had tears in his eyes when he said, "I think it's time for Jimmy Johnson to show some compassion".

Then he said Jimmy called a punt block and not a return.

Compassion?!!? Where was Notre Dame's compassion all those year when they're blowing people out, and that includes Ara.

Notre Dame can dish it out but they can't take it.

badinflu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a very understandable argument by Alliotti. The game is in the bag, you aren't going to come back from 38 down....Alliotti isn't upset that Cougs never gave up, he is upset at the fact that Wazzu kept airing it out with their starters in. the more reps and deeper this game goes the more chances for injuries and that is something you shouldn't want on either side. Just as if you are up 38 or down 38 you shouldn't have your starters in on the final drive of the game, there is no need. Run the ball, milk the clock and leave without injuries.

2002 - Oregon down 21 to OSU 4:10 left starting QB throwing passes
2002 - Down 28 to Wash w/ 6:48 starting QB passing
2003 - down 45 to ASU w/ :20 left starting QB passing
2003 - down 32 to Wash w/ 2:20 left starting QB passing
2004 - down 29 to OSU w/ 7:55 left starting QB passing
2006 - down 28 to Cal w/ 6:12 left starting QB passing
2008 - down 27 to USC w/ 3:50 left starting QB passing
2009 -down 9 to Stan w/:11 left starting QB passing
2011 - down 20 to LSU w/ 2:52 left staring QB passing

badinflu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope next year Oregon doesn't take out starters on O or D. Just run the damn thing up and keep shutting down the cougars.

Leach is also the classless dick that put in his starting defense on a goaline stand to ensure a shutout against an FCS school.

Idaho is not FCS

mallard666

Gurney Repairman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a stupid response. You are either stupid or completely missed the point of her post. :L

Okay, I'll bite. What was her point? 1st game of the season. Is she trying to claim tDucks ran up the score on purpose? Of course they did. Nicholls State sucks. Everyone knows that. They happily take paychecks to be your team's punching bag. They expect to get the score run up on them. If they don't they are kidding themselves. I know this behavior. tDucks practiced it in the late 70s early 80s. It was pitiful to see them go to the Huskers, lose 66 - 6 ore something ridiculous, and all for a paycheck. Rich Brooks swore he would never let a team he coached do that again. So began their long slog upward.

Nicholls State can always stop accepting the paychecks and save every team who has a bcs team back out of a game the embarrassment of having to throttle them instead.

None the less, Allioti should have kept his mouth shut. He knows it. It was funny, though.

Sorry about the late response. Life's been crazy lately.

mallard666

Gurney Repairman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was the defensive coordinator not the head coach that went off.

And by the way, Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys can suck it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the defensive coordinator not the head coach that went off.

And by the way, Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys can suck it.

My references to Jimmy where to when he was HC of the 'Canes, not the 'Boys.

He believed in running up the score. He also believed that you should be classy about it when it happens to you and he exemplified this by doing so.

If your team wants to blow the other team out by 100, I'm fine with that so long as they don't whine about it when it happens to them. And it eventually will.

If a member of your coaching staff - or even a player - comes out and whines that the opposing team was throwing just to break some record, they sound like a little bitch.

Who cares if the opposing team broke some stupid record? You got the win - it's that what counts?

Now Oregon is not only allowed to blow out the other team but wants the other team to stop trying to win? When Oregon throws in their scout team the other side has to do the same? They just have to accept defeat and give up?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OD hasn't experienced a great program of tradition so he doesn't know how to handle success. Oregon's good, but the fans are notorious for not being able to handle success and stay classy.
Actually the problem is that Oregon fans come in 2 kinds. Old school who know both sides of it being fans when Oregon was horrible, sticking with them no matter what. Watching the program build and get to where they are having just 1 losing season i the last 20 years. and the New fans who have only heard rumors that Oregon was not always as good as they are now.
Either way Oregon fans know how to handle it because they have built in to it or they have always known it.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe Nicholls was a replacement for an FBS team that backed out.

Maybe someone can help me out with who that was. AtM as I recall...

No it was Idaho
Ducks to face Nicholls State, Nevada and Tennessee in 2013 season | Oregon Football

This occured before the change from Nevada to Virginia.

Texas A&M is still on the schedule and has not backed out of future series as has been previously rumored.
and just to note Kansas State series would have been over by now so that is not a valid arguement.
UGA did back out but that series was not scheduled to take place for a few more years so no impact on this season either.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont get this complaint at all. WSU did not just give up, so they were classless? What are they supposed to do? Get down by 40 and take a knee? I think his bitching is ironic. I guarantee one coach was thinking about the stats and I do not think it was Leach.

This is the only issue I have with the entire thing and part of the reason I think Leach is a dumbass. We were getting killed and Halliday is still injured and leads the goddamn country in interceptions and is a perfect time to put in Austin Apodaca and get him some reps, he can still run his shitty system with Austin on two good legs as opposed to just trying to feed his ego of having prolific passing numbers.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not his ego genius. His system is a called pass every down. You can only check into a run. Holliday is making those calls. Also you claiming earlier his offense wouldn't work in the Pac 12 is laughable. It's worked in almost every single conference. Holgerson, Kingsbury, Briles, Dykes, etc all became head coaches because of their success running his system as offensive coordinators. Does that mean all of them will be successful head coaches? No, but they were as coordinators. In multiple conferences too boot. Leach has already accomplished more this year than any year since a decade ago for Washinton St. That is in one of the strongest years in a long time for the Pac 12. You are going to end up with egg on your face for the constant criticism. Leach is the best coach you are gonna get buddy. Nick Saban isn't coming to Wazzu. You would hate him anyway if Leach gets under your skin.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MarkOU said:
Whatever OD.

You are making excuses for your bitch ass coach who saying WSU should just give up. Tell ya what, next time Oregon gets behind 3 scores I expect you to concede Oregon should give up and run out the clock.

You Oregon fans are ridiculous.

Deal. Because I honestly cant remember the last time Oregon was ever down by 3 TDs.

So why didnt Oregon give up? Duck fan consensus in this thread is when down multiple scores you should give up.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. bump delivered.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1