• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nice rookie class.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie impact: The best of their best

Le'Veon Bell would have had 1,000 yards had he played all 16 games. He only fell short by 160 yards. On the catching end of things he went for 399. I don't know about you but I think that's huge - especially that last one. I got SO tired of seeing Mendy drop balls when he was WIDE open in the flat!

Jarvis Jones I thought came up pretty big for a rookie as well. 40 tackles on the year.

Marcus Weaton showed a flash of why we drafted him when he caught a short pass and took it for 21 yards.

Vince Williams had a key stop against Green Bay.

And Shamarko Thomas was solid in a lot of ways. He's not going to be a starter any time soon but he shown some growth I think.

Overall I think we got a pretty good rookie class. We'll have to wait a few years to see how it pans out for sure but if it holds, we'll turn things around for sure.

This season we were bound to have a slow start. We lost a RB, WR, LB, NT all in the offseason plus the injuries in the first game.

But we got those issues settled and finished strong on the year. I expect big things from us next year, especially if we can get that NT problem solved.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good 1st year for several guys as you mentioned...my thoughts.

JJ...big shoes to fill...at times he looked like a rookie being out of position, etc...I still have some concerns seeing him vs LTs...it often looks as if he has no chance to make a play once engaged with those big guys...TE or RB he has no problems with...I'm saying the jury is still out on JJ, (looks better suited for a 4-3 OLB, maybe ILB in a this system) but LeBeau was happy with his progress and I still like him as a player.

Bell..for a RB it should not take long to see what they can do and it didn't with this kid...good blend of power and speed, can make you miss and can catch it out the backfield...the most versatile RB that I can remember playing in PIT in a long time. I would like to add a speed guy back there to take the role the Rainey or LSH were picked for.

Wheaton...I didn't see it this year, but he missed a lot of camp, then was injured so he never got into the flow of the OFC with a role he could look forward to every week...heard nothing but good things about him (work ethic, smart, etc.) so I expect him to be a bigger piece next year.

Thomas...showed enough, and got enough snaps this season, I think he will be the starting S next yr...FS or SS is the question.

Landry Jones...We didn't see any production this year during the season...good thing, but in the preseason he showed that he's worth keeping as the development QB

V. Williams...started slow, but imo played well enough to be the starter next year...I'm hearing Foote is expecting to return, (u/c for next season @ $1.833 mil) which I can see him coming to camp, but I don't think he can beat out Williams...time to move on.

N. William...a lot of people like him in the organization...hopefully he's healed up and will be able to fully participate in OTAs and camp.

Justin Brown and Terry Hawthorne...Face gave an update on Hawthorne (waived injured I think) to note that PIT is revisiting his situation...some people felt he could be a nickle, and Brown never made it off the practice squad so I'm not really encouraged by by that...both of these positions need to be addressed again.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, me either...I will admit, the guy created a job where there was none 20 yrs ago...and I don't think he was even a scout...he's pretty fair on that assessment with the exception of Thomas...he did get hurt, but he played some meaningful snaps and made some plays. A few of the PIT bloggers were chatting about Hawthorne and the jist of it this injury was worse than PIT thought and the fact they didn't keep him on the PS, and 31 other teams passed on him (NE gave him a look see) kind of confirms that...seems like they took a shot kind of like SF did with the RB from SCar.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, me either...I will admit, the guy created a job where there was none 20 yrs ago...and I don't think he was even a scout...he's pretty fair on that assessment with the exception of Thomas...he did get hurt, but he played some meaningful snaps and made some plays. A few of the PIT bloggers were chatting about Hawthorne and the jist of it this injury was worse than PIT thought and the fact they didn't keep him on the PS, and 31 other teams passed on him (NE gave him a look see) kind of confirms that...seems like they took a shot kind of like SF did with the RB from SCar.

I agree that Kiper is definitely a "pioneer", but the man is so arrogant. You can tell he definitely does not think his shit carries a scent. But his assessment was fair. If Justin Brown doesn't make it off the PS & Landry doesn't pan out, then the grade will go down further.

Yea I read the same blog on Hawthorne, I think. Steelersdepot? They did a writeup on each player of the Steelers' 2013 draft class. I need to find the story I read about the possibility of bringing Hawthorne in to kick the tires this offseason. Can't remember where I read it. But it would be a shame if the kid never made it back to the NFL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Steelerdepot...Kiper, exactly...he really does seem to have an air about him.

IMO if JJ becomes an impact player or a long time starter to go with Bell, & Thomas, Kiper can shove his grade you know where.

If we could get 3 starters from this draft I would be happy as heck.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Steelerdepot...Kiper, exactly...he really does seem to have an air about him.

IMO if JJ becomes an impact player or a long time starter to go with Bell, & Thomas, Kiper can shove his grade you know where.

If we could get 3 starters from this draft I would be happy as heck.

Definitely! JJ & Bell are going to be around for a long time if their health holds up. Wheaton & Thomas are the question marks.