• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

nhl playoffs

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats up guys?

Just registered here because I see there are some Devils fans here. Let me introduce myself.

I'm Nick otherwise known as benzi from Bergen County NJ, I follow the Devils, Brooklyn Nets, NY Jets and NY Yankees. I post on another sports forum but we are lacking some devils fans so I thought that I would sign up and join the discussion. Cheers

WELCOME ABOARD

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats up guys?

Just registered here because I see there are some Devils fans here. Let me introduce myself.

I'm Nick otherwise known as benzi from Bergen County NJ, I follow the Devils, Brooklyn Nets, NY Jets and NY Yankees. I post on another sports forum but we are lacking some devils fans so I thought that I would sign up and join the discussion. Cheers

Welcome to SportsHoopla. :suds:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLEASE KEEP THE CUP IN THE WEST!!!

I think I might stop watching sports altogether if the Rags win the Cup this year. Im just barely old enough to have enjoyed our Cup win in 2003. Since then as a Devils , Jets and Mets fan Ive seen all of the teams I hate win a championship (Pats, NY Giants, Phillies, Yankees)..the Rangers winning might be the last straw.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've come to accept them winning it. All playoffs long it's games like these they always seem to win it is really insane. Pittsburgh goes soft and Montreal doesn't show up all series and gets 2 shots in the third.

Them winning the cup was a matter of time we put it off in 12 and it's been what 20 years since their last one? That's an insane drought. Only thing that sucks is henrik will finally be able to be called king and he is going to get the MVP for sure.

I was in 7th grade hen they won I was telling my brother the other day it was the end of the world then. But now being older you realize you can't keep them out. I'm lucky that I stopped playing hockey with a group of ranger fans years ago after years of tormenting them I'm sure I will get some calls.

benzi

GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Im pretty used to a Rangers collapse every season. I find it hard for them to keep up with the pace of the Kings and Blackhawks. Maybe I am in denial but I am confident that the west can win the cup.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that worries me for the Kings or Hawks is that they would face Lunq.... that's someone in net neither have confronted to his caliber yet....

but hopefully they can actually overpower them.... I can see the kings doing so more than than Chicago.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant accept it just yet. No matter who they play they'll be underdogs and it will be the toughest series they've had. So if they win it they'll deserve it.

One thing Im wondering is if they do win the Cup who would receive it from Bettman? Has a team ever won the cup without an active captain?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant accept it just yet. No matter who they play they'll be underdogs and it will be the toughest series they've had. So if they win it they'll deserve it.

One thing Im wondering is if they do win the Cup who would receive it from Bettman? Has a team ever won the cup without an active captain?

I mean I would guess Richards, possibly Hank? Good question.

I'll tell you what, Montreal just looked gassed in that series. I was totally underwhelmed by them. Subban sucked the entire series, head wasn't in the right place and he was completely neutralized. I want absolutely no part of Vanek, he was a no show. The team that played Boston and the team that played New York were not even close, and Price was not the difference.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you what, Montreal just looked gassed in that series

I said that after gm 2 IIRC.... where NYR were obviously dominating/winning without putting in the effort or energy that Montreal was, it was automatic for me. Even if the series went 7, the habs just spent too much energy to last where as NYR really haven't played a ferocious attack game all series long IMO.

(last night NYR were more aggressive for sure...more legs)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vanek was used horribly his entire time in Montreal. It might not hurt his FA value but there had to be some issue if he's only getting like 10 mins of ice time a game and buried on the 3rd line.

Agreed though the entire team was underwhelming from Game 1. Maybe mentally they packed it in after Price went down? Who knows. I just think they were spent after that Boston series.

If either Chicago or LA play like they usually play I don't see the Rangers winning 4 games against em. I've been wrong before though lol

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we want the Rangers to win?

The fan in me says no.... but in a sick twisted way... if the Rags win, does this force Lou to make changes???(for the greater good?)

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do we want the Rangers to win?

The fan in me says no.... but in a sick twisted way... if the Rags win, does this force Lou to make changes???(for the greater good?)

I agree with this. I wonder if it eats Lou up now that the tables have turned and we are the rangers of the early 2000s. Face it its lous thinking that got us here. Unwillingness to sell at the deadline refusual to negotiate contracts midseason. I understand you don't sell if your in a playoff spot. But I hope you do realize you won't make the playoffs the following year.

We'll see.

Anyone still think that st.Louis trade was bad. 2 first rounders

devil421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
I've come to accept them winning it. All playoffs long it's games like these they always seem to win it is really insane. Pittsburgh goes soft and Montreal doesn't show up all series and gets 2 shots in the third.

Remember my post early in this thread? After watching a good chunk of the playoffs, I'm certain the Rangers were anointed as the Eastern SC finals team long ago. The Rangers just aren't that good, sorry. Your post covers some of the reasons why it's obvious. The torch is being passed from Marty to Henrik in the NY area and it's intentional for economic reasons. No Cup for Henrik yet...gotta fix that if he's going to be advertised as more than a regular season guy. Kings out of the West. Of course the league and sponsors want a NY/LA final this year, though Chicago is also a large market but the Hawks won last year so they're a no-go (that 5-4 2OT game was very obvious rigging imho....the series needed to be extended for viewership reasons). Regardless, the big picture of playoff seedings and their outcomes ultimately boil down to economic reasons. Players are paid to play, not paid to win. Which particular franchises need economic boosts? Which franchises/owners are trying to get new stadiums or taxpayer funded upgrades? Follow the money. Just my 2 cents...even that expression is based on $$.

If I were to place a bet on the finals, I'd bet Rangers in 7. They've been anointed already but it has to be a long, profitable series. Feel free to blast me if the Hawks come back to win their series and beat the Rangers in 5 games though :lol:

Btw, I don't want the Rangers to win. F'em. Cold day in hell before I root for that team.

Last edited by a moderator:

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But none of the 3 teams left need economic boom.

Speaking of rigging. I can't tell you how many times ranger fans I know would complain the NHL doesn't want the nyc to win the cup. They would love nothing better then sports illustrated to run the cover of 94 again with 14 next to it. How many other teams would get that kind of coverage for a cup win?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We as Devils fans gain nothing from seeing the Rangers win the Cup. Whats the best we can hope for this offseason? Sign Stasny and Vanek? Chances are we get neither.

This isnt like 94 where we were right on the doorstep. The Rangers winning the Cup would be the worst thing that happened to this franchise.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We as Devils fans gain nothing from seeing the Rangers win the Cup. Whats the best we can hope for this offseason? Sign Stasny and Vanek? Chances are we get neither.

This isnt like 94 where we were right on the doorstep. The Rangers winning the Cup would be the worst thing that happened to this franchise.

That is true i didn't think of that comparing this to 94 good call.

I would likes tansy but no vanek where do you put him. Making a trade isn't so easy with our roster

devil421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
But none of the 3 teams left need economic boom.

Speaking of rigging. I can't tell you how many times ranger fans I know would complain the NHL doesn't want the nyc to win the cup. They would love nothing better then sports illustrated to run the cover of 94 again with 14 next to it. How many other teams would get that kind of coverage for a cup win?

No, you're right that the last three teams don't need direct boosts. They are large markets, however, and ratings is what matters most at this stage of the season, along with the marketing part I mentioned. Henrik needs to be made a marquee NY area player for marketing reasons and that won't truly happen until he wins a Cup. I meant more that teams needing economic boosts or successful seasons (which most fan bases define as playoff appearances) to gain support for economic agendas like new stadiums, upgrades, franchise sales, etc often get the playoff appearances to help those goals along. This may not be a hard-and-fast rule but a pattern does emerge in pro sports. Offseason owner's meetings probably cover this sort of stuff. It's probably even why the Devils made it to the finals a couple years ago. The franchise needed a cash influx while it was on the sales block. We haven't made the playoffs since the team was successfully sold after. I look back at the Devils season and after the DREADFUL shootout record wondered if we weren't supposed to make the playoffs. This could also have figured into why Kovy bolted?