• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

News from Summer Practices

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Im really surprised to see DC getting passed at punter. Didnt seem like anyone was even close in the scrimmage.

After seeing DW yesterday though, im sure we wont have to worry much about punting anyway!:happyshake:

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It makes sense IMO. I went the the scrimmage and will do a little write up on it soon, but what I saw was that DC was the best looking punter out there, but it is not woth the risk of having him possibly get hurt. If you have a guy that is close to as good as DC, and if he gets hurt it will not impact multiple facets of the game, that player should be the starting punter. DC looked good but it is too much of a risk to allow him to be the starting punter as well...

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Isaiah Hamlette and Luther Maddy currently listed as backup DT's. Dwight Tucker sidelined with sprained knee - currently on crutches.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Due to injuries, true-freshman Corey Marshall has agreed to move to DT exclusively for remainder of fall. May move back to DE in Spring.

NOTE: Just so everyone knows, Beamerball is taking a fair amount of heat on Twitter for providing certain information for free. The heat's coming from journalists as well as Tech bloggers.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Zack McCray up to 2nd team behind J.R. Collins on updated depth chart.
1 minute ago

That because of performance or movements due to injury? It would be nice if he put it together and is ready to make some plays.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question...it may be a little of both.

Ya know... this is the kinda stuff I've always loved about the program, Foster, Beamer...

When I first learned about college football (yes, I didn't know what is was prior to my first game as a Tech student. I didn't know why it existed or why anyone would prefer to watch it over pro... this comes from having a father - John Carroll GO BLUE STREAKS! - and mother - Loyola NOLA - who didn't go to schools with sports of any consequence), I learned rather quickly that Tech was a very different place even within that niche, cult demographic of "college football fans." With each new year, there are no certainties about your position. If you were all-conference last year, you better come to spring and fall practice and play like an all-conference player, or you will get moved down the 2-deep.

When I came to Tech in 1998 and attended my first game - W vs. ECU - I was hooked forever. I wondered why I had never really heard about the team before I went to school there. In nervous anticipation of my second season as a Tech fan, I picked up SI's 1999 season preview and a big smile came across my face when I read this:

"Anonymity also defines Virginia Tech, which has been to six straight bowl games without gaining anything resembling national acclaim. But the coaches don't mind having players who are unspoiled by media attention. "The difference between here and Alabama," says tight ends coach Danny Pearman, a Crimson Tide assistant from 1990 to '97, "is that here you don't have to kiss their ass to get them to play."

YES! That's the way to be. Every position is up for grabs, all the time, every game, every practice. That's how you build a winner with 2-3 star guys who other programs have ignored. Say what you will about us needing that 4-5 star talent to win our first NC... I will take the blue collar guys who shouldn't be anything special who work hard and eventually get their names called in those two special days in April. I'll take a team full of those kids 100/100 times. THAT is VT football.

BTW - The whole article I referenced. Fun read given some of the similarities from then till now:

CNN/SI - 1999 College Football Preview - SI Top 25 - Virginia Tech - Wednesday August 11, 1999 02:08 PM

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great find on the article. Turns out Vick was as good as we thought.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great find on the article. Turns out Vick was as good as we thought.

:D Yea, I would say so. I remember looking at that schedule and that write-up (as I was absolutely unplugged as a fledgling fan) and thinking... ya know... this. could. be. big.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More tweets from our favorite long snapper

collinjcarroll Collin Carroll
David Wilson was barking for the entire warm-up today. Could have sworn a St. Bernard was on the field. A rabid St. Bernard. #Hokies

Greg Nosal is on the field before practice most days working with new o-linemen. It's like watching ducklings follow their mother. #Hokies

George George, a "blocking" TE, fried a certain All-American corner for TD. "If I was closer to the goal post, I'd have dunked it," he said.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DarrylSlater Darryl Slater
Charley Wiles on Luther Maddy: "I feel like he’s a front ... line ... player." Paused between those words to emphasize his point.

At this point, Wiles is leaning toward redshirting K. Harley. Wiles has seen enough of L. Maddy to say he's starter material down the road.

Wiles said he moved Corey Marshall from DE to DT because fellow freshman Kris Harley isn't ready to compete for playing time. Too heavy.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Today's practice tweets:

George George, a "blocking" TE, fried a certain All-American corner for TD. "If I was closer to the goal post, I'd have dunked it," he said.

Greg Nosal is on the field before practice most days working with new o-linemen. It's like watching ducklings follow their mother.

David Wilson was barking for the entire warm-up today. Could have sworn a St. Bernard was on the field. A rabid St. Bernard.

Scott Demler got interviewed after practice. Well, it's official -- I am the absolute LAST player any of the media care to talk to.

CTSportsTalk Collegiate Times
Bud Foster (on Telvion Clark) - "The kid has tremendous physical tools and he was a raw player. He's really one of our most improved guys."

normwood Norm Wood
#Hokies defensive coordinator Bud Foster said he plans to have Telvion Clark and Tariq Edwards split 1st team reps at LB right now.

normwood Norm Wood
Foster said he really feels like he has the luxury of having two starter-quality players - Clark and Edwards - at the position.

VTVOICE Bill Roth
Also, LB Telvion Clark had the VT lunchpail tonight after practice. Another 757 star?

SeanBielawski Sean Bielawski
DL Coach Charley Wiles says the 3rd and 4th defensive tackle spots are down to Hamlette, Maddy, and Corey Marshall who just moved to DT.

Torrian Gray said freshmen Boye Aromire and Ronny Vandyke are now tied for the No. 2 rover spot. Aromire came into August with the spot.

Wiles said he moved Corey Marshall from DE to DT because fellow freshman Kris Harley isn't ready to compete for playing time. Too heavy.

At this point, Wiles is leaning toward redshirting K. Harley. Wiles has seen enough of L. Maddy to say he's starter material down the road.

Charley Wiles on Luther Maddy: "I feel like he’s a front ... line ... player." Paused between those words to emphasize his point.

Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
As many as 10 freshmen are seeking playing time this season.
(How often have we heard Beamerball say that...nearly every year?)

kngjb3 Joe
saw Isiah Hamlette's older bro at gym, he mentioned Luther Maddy saying that hes one bad man and gets great penetration #Hokies #UncleLuke