• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

News from Summer Practices

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, they pushed hard for him out of HS, that looks like a program in shambles I hope he did not make a mistake by going there..

Hope the New Mexico head coach got a 10-year no-cut contract...that may be the only way he'll have the time he needs to get that program on track.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Uh-oh....

Beamer_Ball Beamer Ball
Per Head Trainer Mike Goforth, Zack McCray foot has been placed in a boot and is out for todays scrimmage.

CTSportsTalk Collegiate Times
Zack McCray suffered a right foot sprain towards the end of yesterday's practice per trainer Mike Goforth. Will be back to full speed Monday

Last edited by a moderator:

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
WillStewartTSL Will Stewart
Yikes, Logan Thomas backed into Frank Beamer today, knocking Beamer's megaphone into Beamer's face. Stitches req'd to close the wound.
19 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
HokiesJournal Hokies Journal
James Gayle w/ a monster scrimmage. 4 sacks, 6 TFLs. LB Telvion Clark led team with 9 tackles. Logan Thomas: 15-23, 140 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs.

vtnuclearhokie

Pronounced Nuke-u-ler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WillStewartTSL Will Stewart
Yikes, Logan Thomas backed into Frank Beamer today, knocking Beamer's megaphone into Beamer's face. Stitches req'd to close the wound.
19 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Hopefully this is not the start of yearly player induced injuries like Joe Pa gets.

I am surprised he needed stitches, Beamer seemed tough after the Cory Holt "punch" two years back.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In the HokieSports video, walkon Daniel Dyer is a lot faster than I though he was. He has a real burst and outran a lot of fast players.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone concerned about LT's completion percentage in the scrimmages thus far? I mean we hav couldn't ask for a more experienced and talented group of WR's, so this tells me there are a lot of passes off target. LT had the yellow jersey on now, so he should be able to fire more passes on target without thinking about the pass rusher.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone concerned about LT's completion percentage in the scrimmages thus far? I mean we hav couldn't ask for a more experienced and talented group of WR's, so this tells me there are a lot of passes off target. LT had the yellow jersey on now, so he should be able to fire more passes on target without thinking about the pass rusher.

Some of LT's passes have been dropped, and some have been defended by a pretty good group of DBs. Very few have been off-target except the passes that have been picked off, and that didn't happen today.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
collinjcarroll Collin Carroll
From the bottom of a pile, Chase Williams was moaning in pain. As he gingerly stood, Nick Acree reminded him, "Gotta protect the McNuggets!"

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After watching the three scrimmage films, the issue that worries me the most is what killed us last year.....our run defense.

Now lets get this season started!!!
yea our run defense does not look that stout this year thus far. Also if the 2nd team defense ever has to play we are toast...

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the three scrimmage films, the issue that worries me the most is what killed us last year.....our run defense.

Now lets get this season started!!!

Maybe its jut that our O-line is that much improved. :wink:
In all fairness, don't most of the clips show the 1st team O against the 2nd team D? Just pray no one else on the DL gets hurt.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe its jut that our O-line is that much improved. :wink:
In all fairness, don't most of the clips show the 1st team O against the 2nd team D? Just pray no one else on the DL gets hurt.

Actually, I think the offensive line is much improved over last year, and the coaches have developed some decent depth at each position along the line. It's been a while since we had 8, 9, or 10 guys we can depend on if they're put into a game. The starters include Dechristopher, Nosal, Miller, Brooks, and Lanier, and their back-ups include Via, Wang, Becton, Prince, and Painter. Other OLs fighting to get into the 2-deep include Gibson, Ferris, Arkema, Benedict, and Acree.

As far as the run defense is concerned, the starters look pretty good. But, everyone should keep in mind that Wiles has been playing EVERYONE else in his DL group to determine who can play and who can't. Just about all of those big runs have been generated against the 2s and 3s.

Among the DTs, we know the Hopkins brothers are the starters. But, we've lost Battle for the year, Acree made the move to the OL, and Hamlette and Tucker have been passed by the true freshmen, Maddy and Marshall. Harley may still be in the DT mix as well depending on injuries to others and his own personal development.

On the DE side, Gayle and Collins are set as the starters. After that, it looks like Perez-Means, T. Wilson, and McCray are battling for the two back-up spots. J. Taylor is a step behind those three. The true freshmen...Roth, Nicholas, and will have to shirt because they're just not ready.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What concerns me the most is trams that commit to the run a lot, especially early on, when it is warm. Most good teams roll two deep (at least) along the line. This would be especially important with an undersized line. Just leaning on a guy that is 60-70 pounds heavier than you slows you down. We sacrifice some of the durability for the speed we have along line. Of our front 6, I like our two deep at mike, backer, and one DT spot. I am mor concerned at the other DT spot and at end (where we are smaller).

This is one of the reason our rover and whip are so important against the run. A lot gets funneled to them and they need to be playmakers. One is (rover), the other looks better in practice but was miserable in games last year.

I still love our defense, but this is my one concern.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a strong secondary and solid corners will allow us to commit an extra guy to the run on D when we need to. Jayron can lock down a guy and have safety help on the other side and that frees up a defender. Also if we go back to the 4-3 with decent whip play we will be better than last year's 4-2-5

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What concerns me the most is trams that commit to the run a lot, especially early on, when it is warm. Most good teams roll two deep (at least) along the line. This would be especially important with an undersized line.

I still love our defense, but this is my one concern.

Clemson/Miami will be those teams. Clemson is the bigger concern to me right now with Andre Ellington/Boyd. Miami may be hit hard on defense if they lose those players so even if we struggle a little I think we could outscore them.