• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

News from Summer Practices

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to VT insider and long snapper Collin Carroll, Nick Acres will be moving to offensive line. He is slender, especially in the lower body but may be able to get to tackle size.

Thoughts?

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish this decision was made during spring practice. It's been mentioned ever since he's come in, but now he will most likely be on scout team and they won't have much time for him to develop his technique while the coaches are focused on getting first and second team game ready. He does have a lot of potential on the OL though, but I don't see him becoming a contributor until hes a r-Jr at the earliest.

Any word on what O-line position? I thought O-Guard might suit him best.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I honestly like this move, having seen Acree in the spring he just wasnt progressing. Although i know OL technique is difficult to pick up, i think his mentality and physique are much more suited for there. He is kinda slender in his lower body but he will have at least 2 seasons, before he is ever expected to play.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Win-win. OL is a much better position for Acree. As an OG, or even an OT, he will have the first step and won't have to be nearly as instinctive/reactive as a DL. He will have to work on keeping low however.

Look at it this way...we just got our 5th OL for the 2012 Class, one that's already acclimated to the academics at Tech, understands how Tech practices work, and is already part of the team. Despite not cutting it on the DL, Acree is a known quantity, and a very strong one at that.

We've also had some success with DLs moving to the OL over the years. Off the top of my head, the following guys switched from DL to OL: Lambo, Miller, Frye, Montgomery, Render, Murphy, Montgomery, and Becton.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
collinjcarroll Collin Carroll
Ricardo Young was straight up slinging the rock today. Marino-like quick release. #Hokies
33 minutes ago

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
thekeyplay The Key Play
BeamerBall.com reports tailback Daniel Dyer will replace Dominique Patterson (ankle) on the 105 preseason roster. #Hokies

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how much this will help him at O-line, but i saw Acree in a cut sleeve at McComas last semester and he had the biggest traps i've ever seen. They were almost touching his ears.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
thekeyplay The Key Play
BeamerBall.com reports tailback Daniel Dyer will replace Dominique Patterson (ankle) on the 105 preseason roster. #Hokies

how serious is the DP injury? How long is he expected to be out?

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hahahaha!!!

Logan rolled out, scrambled, & accidentally trucked Mike Via today. With counseling, Mike's pride should be back at 100% in 2-4 weeks.
10 minutes ago

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great news!

VT_Football VT Football
As of today, TB Michael Holmes has been given approval to participate in practice, beginning this afternoon.
2 minutes ago

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep he was cleared this AM :)

While we have good news on Holmes, did we ever find out why Jerome Lewis is leaving the program?

Jerome Lewis saying goodbye to players and coaches today. He will announce transfer destination today or tomorrow. Good luck Rome. #Hokies
8 minutes ago

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure but the writing on the wall has been there since Spring. he was never once mentioned in any of the coaches interviews or positional breakdowns. That combined with the emphasis on TE this past recruiting cycle made me raise my eyebrows for sure. He may have just not gotten his footing in the program or playbook, or maybe he is homesick. I hate speculating on stuff like this, though. All I know is that he had glowing reviews as a teammate and person from the people that I know around the program and I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up.

I am not sure if he is the last one either... :(

As for Michael Holmes. That is FANTASTIC NEWS!!! I really see a lot of Lee Suggs in him and think we are going to be talking a lot about this kid for the next 4-5 years. People assume that Landon Turner made him look good, but as I watch the film, I think Holmes made Turner look good a lot as well. His vision is very good. I figured he was in good shape since he was there for media day.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, Compartment Syndrome is no joke. I had something similar when in grad school at VT. I had a deep thigh bruise become infected and turn into necrotizing fasciitis. Unfortunately, back in the day, camera-phones were not around so I couldn't take any pictures. (Well, that and I was in shock)

That shit is no joke. I came very close to losing my leg above the hip joint. If it was not for a brand new (literally within the last 3 months) antibiotic on the market I would have lost it and may have died. Scary ass shit......

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yup, Compartment Syndrome is no joke. I had something similar when in grad school at VT. I had a deep thigh bruise become infected and turn into necrotizing fasciitis. Unfortunately, back in the day, camera-phones were not around so I couldn't take any pictures. (Well, that and I was in shock)

That shit is no joke. I came very close to losing my leg above the hip joint. If it was not for a brand new (literally within the last 3 months) antibiotic on the market I would have lost it and may have died. Scary ass shit......
Man I had a really (I mean REALLY bad) staph infection in my hip that showed up the week before the VT vs Bama game so I went the Dr to have it cut and drained (it turns out it was a strand of non-contagious MRSA). The Dr told me not to travel to the game but gave me some strong pills so we went anyways. I will never forget the feeling (and visual) of going into bothrooms on the trip (gas stations, motel room, etc) and draining it. It was like a bad horror movie...

ok enough of that, any more news from summer practices?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nasty pic but glad he is ok now. I think we will see a lot of 4 wide sets this year with Logan Thomas and less depth at RB than we had before so he should get a good amount of time on the field subbing and in different formations.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I had a really (I mean REALLY bad) staph infection in my hip that showed up the week before the VT vs Bama game so I went the Dr to have it cut and drained (it turns out it was a strand of non-contagious MRSA). The Dr told me not to travel to the game but gave me some strong pills so we went anyways. I will never forget the feeling (and visual) of going into bothrooms on the trip (gas stations, motel room, etc) and draining it. It was like a bad horror movie...

ok enough of that, any more news from summer practices?

To add to what some of you may have already said..

Patterson is out with a low-ankle sprain, he should be back in a couple weeks. SB was QUITE impressed with him before the injury, he may challenge for the job next year/be playing if he continues to go in this direction, with Oglesby and possible Wilson leaving.

Acree apparently is not looking bad at OT. He won't be in the 2 deep this year barring injury or MAJOR steps in the right direction in the next month or two, but he may have a future there. He certainly has the strength to do it.