• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: New York Rangers(2) vs. Philadelphia Flyers(3) | ECQF

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that sucked. Congratulations to the Rangers for both taking advantage in the first two periods and hanging tough in the third, but my oh my we made that easier than it needed to be for you. So many unforced bad passes, missed connections, bad giveaways, etc. that I was screaming my throat raw (shut up in advance, you foul [and fowl, Pens fans] mouthed bastards!).

I dunno, I don't think either team really showed what it could do offensively, but I think we had more potential. Part of the reason we didn't get to show it is of course due to the Rangers, who were merciless on the forecheck, but we had so many self inflicted wounds tonight that it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Good luck in the second round, Rangers. I can't say I'll be cheering for you (or for the Pens, either), but I would very much appreciate it if, should Jayson "I can't spell my own fucking name right" Megna step foot onto the ice, you make sure his ass lands on it, too.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megna likely won't be playing because Brian 'Bilbo' Gibbons is once again healthy, but I feel your pain. Although I don't agree that Megna had any malicious intent to injure Mason.

I do have a question about the supposed excuse that if Mason had been healthy for games 1-3, that this would have somehow changed things in this series. In the two losses that Emery was between the pipes for, the Flyers never managed more than one goal in either game. I guess you could say, well Mason would have shut them out, but considering he never did after coming back in game four, I think this excuse is flawed.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe my words were taken out of context, meant he basically admitted he was concussed, but pretty obvious it was from that hit

Yeah, I focused on the fact you mentioned Megna specifically and made the leap that Mase said his name. Not that you were specifying whit hit concussed him.

Agreed! And don't play favorites suspend guys for it and it will slowly disappear.

h49EB4D9E

Who is that in the picture with Ryan Johansen? :lol:

The irony of this conversation/debate occurring in this thread is just lovely.

Someone had to say it.

I don't think so. I think the awareness of it has increased, the concern for it has expanded, and the desire to place rules and curb the behavior has increased. Hence it is shown more often and talked about more. 30 years ago, they just went back out and played with the concussion they got from a head shot the week before and had no idea what it was or it's dangers. And there was no public concern because we didn't know either and there wasn't a 24-hour sports channel/radio that needed something to talk about all day long.

Otherwise, I don't know what the "pussification" that Sly is talking about is for. ;)

Could it have anything to do with 50+ HD cameras in the building, with star iso-cams and 300 forums and video sites dedicated to people discussing every minute detail as if their life depended on it?

The world is actually safer than it was 20 years ago. But it seems like total chaos because everything is now filmed and we have 13 24 hour news channels and the Internet reporting on shit we never would have heard about 20 years ago.

I wonder if all the nut spearing is a generational thing. I remember high school, and all the hockey players loved going around and smacking each other's sacks as a prank. Those guys would all be the same age as today's crop of NHL stars.

Has 'sacking' always been a thing? Or did previous generations have more respect for the babymakers?

Mind you, this shit is super tame next to the antics I used to see (but for the most part avoided) in waterpolo

I also wonder if the equipment being much better leads to some extra liberties being taken. You wouldn't spear someone in the nuts if they were wearing an 80's spec open assed jock because you have a sense of how much that shit would hurt you if it happened. But now they have a full spandex girdle with kevlar cup. So, why not? Won't hurt THAT bad.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I focused on the fact you mentioned Megna specifically and made the leap that Mase said his name. Not that you were specifying whit hit concussed him.

h49EB4D9E

Who is that in the picture with Ryan Johansen? :lol:

Someone had to say it.

Could it have anything to do with 50+ HD cameras in the building, with star iso-cams and 300 forums and video sites dedicated to people discussing every minute detail as if their life depended on it?

The world is actually safer than it was 20 years ago. But it seems like total chaos because everything is now filmed and we have 13 24 hour news channels and the Internet reporting on shit we never would have heard about 20 years ago.

I also wonder if the equipment being much better leads to some extra liberties being taken. You wouldn't spear someone in the nuts if they were wearing an 80's spec open assed jock because you have a sense of how much that shit would hurt you if it happened. But now they have a full spandex girdle with kevlar cup. So, why not? Won't hurt THAT bad.

Yeah he pretty much said he was concussed, but I think we all knew it was from Megna's hit. He just didn't come out and say it, but clearly is what he was referring to.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10339740_10100926770706165_1867881686119561007_n.jpg

Harsh

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Megna likely won't be playing because Brian 'Bilbo' Gibbons is once again healthy, but I feel your pain. Although I don't agree that Megna had any malicious intent to injure Mason.

I do have a question about the supposed excuse that if Mason had been healthy for games 1-3, that this would have somehow changed things in this series. In the two losses that Emery was between the pipes for, the Flyers never managed more than one goal in either game. I guess you could say, well Mason would have shut them out, but considering he never did after coming back in game four, I think this excuse is flawed.

No excuse but most teams play better in front of their starter...more confident. We'll never know thanks to the pens who are fast becoming the cheap shot artists of the league...megna knew exactly what he was doing if not he wouldn't have taken that extra lunge at Mase's head. What a POS...karma will be a bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starter or backup, makes no difference, imo. It's the SC playoffs. Pitt went to the ECF with their backup last season. In three of the four losses suffered by philly in this series, the Flyers failed to score more than one goal. Sorry, I don't see how you tie this loss to goal-tending. A goal per game isn't going to net you many W's.

As for cheapshots; this league is rampant with them. Do the Pens have some cheap shot artists? You betcha. So does Philly(Rinaldo, Hartnell), Montreal(Subban), Boston(Marchand, Lucic), NYR(Carbomb) SJ(Raffi), Minny(Cooke), Chicago(Seabrook) etc. It's a league wide problem and one that has been discussed on this forum and others, ad nauseam. It won't change until the rules that are in place are enforced on everyone.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No excuse but most teams play better in front of their starter...more confident. We'll never know thanks to the pens who are fast becoming the cheap shot artists of the league...megna knew exactly what he was doing if not he wouldn't have taken that extra lunge at Mase's head. What a POS...karma will be a bitch.

Maybe it was just karma for decades of Philly goonery? Seriously in a league where every team had had it's share of dirty players and ugly incidents, the notion of karma is laughable.

Anyway feel bad for Mason but sometimes the effect is disproportional to the crime. Guys like Dustin Brown run the goalie that hard once a game. Duchene injured Kuemper last night on an illegal play and wasnt even called for a penalty. But Minny still pulled though and Philly didn't lose because they were missing Mason.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but you guys are clueless of course teams are better with their starters. Good back ups can hang in there for a while but not the long haul. Mase could have easily made a few saves sparked the team and stole a win it happened this series. Besides last year vokun was better than MAF and basically stole the job. He was also a starter in Florida.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens normally carry more cheap shot artists than any team of late but haven't received the fan fair which is frustrating. Guys like cooke neal orpik etc are in a league of their own...add megna to the group after finally dismissing cooke due to too much bad PR.

Harts used to be worse but toned it down the past few years as he was getting the box too much plus league is moving in that direction. Rinaldo was actually very good this year until he missed that hit late in the year...but they nailed him I'm fine with that...to bad megna didn't get anything. Neals also gotten away with murder and diving.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone says injuries aren't an excuse until it happens to their team.

I never even used it as an excuse as that's the game and injuries are part of it. But to say that your back up is just as good as your starter is ridiculous. Goalies probably have a bigger influence on a game especially playoffs than any other position. Big saves create instant momentum...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling Megna a cheapshot artist is laughable. The dude has 36 games played in the league and 6 PIM. I wish I could make a gif of that to throw in here...he pushed the defenseman into the goalie when the puck was free, it was a 2 minute penalty. Nothing more. Not every hit that results in a concussion is even worth a 2 minute penalty.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Megna play was innocuous with a bad result. He crashed the net, which is what guys are supposed to do to score goals. He didn't even run into Mason himself, he pushed the defenseman there, and was en route to the puck while doing it. It's a tough break for Mason and the Flyers, but Megna had only one intention there, and it was to get to the puck to try to score a goal.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was trying to score he would have lunged out with his stick to try and score a goal but instead he cross checked Mac and then Mase at the end. He had a choice and took the goon option...why is it so hard for pen fans to admit this stuff? Because deep down you know that your team is one of the worst in the league right now for that crap. I'm not saying that the Flyers or anyone else are saints but the pens have been pushing the envelope for years. Quite frankly the Flyers were forced to change or they would simply be killing penalties all game mainly due to reputation...it's finally nice to see the pens being called for at least minor penalties!