• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: New York Rangers(2) vs. Philadelphia Flyers(3) | ECQF

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was from 2010

Nothing off limits in scrum at the bottom of NFL pileup | NFL.com

I seriously doubt it was worse 30 years ago compared to today.

Good link, IPW. I don't know how to compare it to 30 years ago I suppose. I think it was worse from the stories I'd heard, but maybe it's not, or maybe it's the same. The pile is kind of the exception anyway. Overall, you see less cheap shots in football after the play. Hell, guys are almost too friendly these days in football. I think you can have violent sports without it spilling into other cheap shots after the play, fighting, etc. I don't think hockey does a good job of managing that and it's all interrelated. That's my overall point.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on having to have a serious policy on cheap shots that go along with it.

To the last question, without a cup, definitely rather be punched. With a cup, tough call. Still probably rather get punched, but it was 10 punches vs. a nut shot with a cup, you can smack my jimmies, WW.

Then let's meet in the middle, agree it's all Obama's fault, shake hands on it and move on. Deal?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then let's meet in the middle, agree it's all Obama's fault, shake hands on it and move on. Deal?

Done.
picgifs-thanks-obama-41569.gif

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everything was either called on the ice or by replay it would slow down and so would a lot of the retaliation fights....but the league doesn't want the whole game being one giant PP fest. Either way fighting is down but they still need to get rid of the neal cooke BS. The game would be better for it. Just suspend the medium to bad shit simple!

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, I'm willing to bet that cheap shots and intent to injure is at an all time high in the NFL in the past few years now.

You can't go 1 week during the Season without hearing about someone hurt or injured by a cheap shot, or a player that has been fined or suspended by the NFL.

Not to mention the whole "bounty scandal" that took place recently.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to add suspend them heavy no matter the team or player that would definitely put a stop to it. Problem is that shanny was horrible at his job.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, I'm willing to bet that cheap shots and intent to injure is at an all time high in the NFL in the past few years now.

You can't go 1 week during the Season without hearing about someone hurt or injured by a cheap shot, or a player that has been fined or suspended by the NFL.

Not to mention the whole "bounty scandal" that took place recently.

I don't think so. I think the awareness of it has increased, the concern for it has expanded, and the desire to place rules and curb the behavior has increased. Hence it is shown more often and talked about more. 30 years ago, they just went back out and played with the concussion they got from a head shot the week before and had no idea what it was or it's dangers. And there was no public concern because we didn't know either and there wasn't a 24-hour sports channel/radio that needed something to talk about all day long.

Otherwise, I don't know what the "pussification" that Sly is talking about is for. ;)

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Rangers fans *grumble* and good luck vs the Penguins

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. I think the awareness of it has increased, the concern for it has expanded, and the desire to place rules and curb the behavior has increased. Hence it is shown more often and talked about more. 30 years ago, they just went back out and played with the concussion they got from a head shot the week before and had no idea what it was or it's dangers. And there was no public concern because we didn't know either and there wasn't a 24-hour sports channel/radio that needed something to talk about all day long.

I think it has to do with society and the way we are today compared to 30 years ago.

Players today are bigger, stronger, faster, and most of the time lack good sportsmanship. Players today have grown up in a World where manners and common sense are going the way of the dinosaur, and they stop at nothing in their pursuit to win or cheat. Players are being taught at a young age how to injure and hit other players without getting caught.

The game today is a whole nother animal than it used to be. Players in the old days had a code and didn't seem to get caught up in all the BS you see in today's players.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo and no code because we baby our youth. They all feel entitled not worried what they do to others. They are sheltered now from taking a punch if they are a prick so why not keep doing it especially if there is no suspension after....

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if all the nut spearing is a generational thing. I remember high school, and all the hockey players loved going around and smacking each other's sacks as a prank. Those guys would all be the same age as today's crop of NHL stars.

Has 'sacking' always been a thing? Or did previous generations have more respect for the babymakers?

Mind you, this shit is super tame next to the antics I used to see (but for the most part avoided) in waterpolo

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if all the nut spearing is a generational thing. I remember high school, and all the hockey players loved going around and smacking each other's sacks as a prank. Those guys would all be the same age as today's crop of NHL stars.

Has 'sacking' always been a thing? Or did previous generations have more respect for the babymakers?

Mind you, this shit is super tame next to the antics I used to see (but for the most part avoided) in waterpolo

Ahh waterpolo. Never dealt with so many stitches and broken noses in one season as I did with ye.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it has to do with society and the way we are today compared to 30 years ago.

Players today are bigger, stronger, faster, and most of the time lack good sportsmanship. Players today have grown up in a World where manners and common sense are going the way of the dinosaur, and they stop at nothing in their pursuit to win or cheat. Players are being taught at a young age how to injure and hit other players without getting caught.

The game today is a whole nother animal than it used to be. Players in the old days had a code and didn't seem to get caught up in all the BS you see in today's players.

Yep, in fact I found some old clips of players displaying the code

[YOUTUBE]z7afgy7-2pg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't find the actual clip of Jodzio crosschecking Tardif in the head, just the follow-up fights. But thank god for the code back then

Also couldn't find any video of Maloney attacking Glennie, but here's a write-up (it's #6)

Top 10 heinous acts in hockey

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a hockey board and thread, but I was talking about in the NFL not the NHL.

I'm sure you could still find some neat Youtube vids on that still?

Sorry, when I clicked it just took me to the last page and yours was the first post. Assumed it was a hockey discussion.

But since you mention it I suspect that football players are really no dirtier at heart now than they have ever been. I also suspect that a big part of the violence and bigger hits between the whistles now comes from the fact that with the older equipment a lot of the big hits these days would have hurt the tackler pretty badly as well.