• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rays at the Rangers

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD has made some major mistakes with the Cubs. The dumpster trade was horrible and the Garza one was probably even worse. We could probably use Kyle Hendricks right now. Epstein should send us a good pitching prospect on the cheap for helping the Cubs end their 100 year drought.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD could put Mays Mantle and Koufax on the field but they have to perform. Too many we have gotten should have been better and haven't. Hamels Napoli Jefferess Lucroy Fielder Choo should have brought this team much more than they did and I can't hang that on JD except maybe a couple of bad contracts ( Choo/Fielder) which was concerning dollars and years but that didn't excuse sub par play.
Great post!
We've had way too many players under perform.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dyson to be DFA'd tomorrow according to MLB trade rumors.com. JD looking to trade.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dyson to be DFA'd tomorrow according to MLB trade rumors.com. JD looking to trade.

Thank god.

I hope he goes to the national league tho. A more competent pitching coach might be able to fix him. Would hate to see a team we don't like get him and make him good.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD earned a lot of cred with the Teixeira trade and a few others, but he has definitely opened himself up to a good bit of criticism. He would probably still have Wash here had Wash not removed himself. The Prince/Choo offseason was a disaster. He has made a couple of questionable midseason pitching moves. In hindsight,the Lucroy trade and maybe the Hamels trade are probably going to turn out to not be worth it. JD's reputation is due mainly to the Teixeira trade, the Cliff Lee trade, and the Beltre and Yu signings. Those were all great, but they are getting further and further away in the rear view mirror.

He has another shot at adding to his reputation in a very positive way if he realizes he should be a seller this July. Let's see what happens.
The way Elvis is swinging the bat JD may get calls for him. Don't want to see him go but his is another ugly contract.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Elvis is swinging the bat JD may get calls for him. Don't want to see him go but his is another ugly contract.

Except Andrus is actually earning his contract, 2015 is the only year he's failed to meet his salary obligations according WAR and that was only about 1.4 million, he should easily eclipse the 15 million he's owed, in terms of value, this year (already at 8.6 million)

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the pieces are in place, things have to go well. Hames, Diekman, Gomez... all on the shelf. Barnette, Jeffress, Dyson... underperforming. Lucroy, Odor and Napoli too. Beltre missed the first 2 months.

I'm certainly not saying JD has made all the right moves. But he's made his fair share, and some things are simply beyond his control. We should be years past "giving him the benefit of the doubt."

So if JD is absolved of blame then where does it go?

It's either Banny and the coaching staff or the players.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing JD would be the dumbest fucking thing you could do.

Part of me agrees, and part of me looks at this and wonders why Sam was even on the team. I can literally find a thousand guys in the stands that could go out and give up multiple HR's and luck into some outs with the defense the Rangers have.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me agrees, and part of me looks at this and wonders why Sam was even on the team. I can literally find a thousand guys in the stands that could go out and give up multiple HR's and luck into some outs with the defense the Rangers have.
2016 Sam was lights out. JD nor anyone could possibly know what 2017 would offer up.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did a happy dance when I heard Dyson was gone. I hope he does find another team and they get his head right, no doubt this is 100% mental.

As for the rest of this year, I just don't think we have anything that would net us a good return. We either have guys that aren't performing or are performing but due a lot of money...or are free after this year. Who is going to break the bank for two months of Yu, unless he gets the wicked movement back? Lucroy? Napoli isn't going anywhere, his only value is the clubhouse. Gallo may get a little return, but probably not. Choo isn't going anywhere with his contract.

In this order I would say our most valuable pieces right now are:
1) DeShields - getting on base and then scoring when he does, creates runs
2) Elvis - putting together good numbers, but the contract and what he means to the clubhouse will keep him here
3) Mazara - Young guy with power, composure, and cheap is always worth a lot at a deadline
4) Profar - he trades on name alone

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 Sam was lights out. JD nor anyone could possibly know what 2017 would offer up.

I agree. And WBC Sam was as well.

But 6 losses and 4 blown saves in 17 appearances...doesn't take a genius to figure out he's done here.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because he'd been so dominant the last two seasons. Evaluating JD based on Dyson is beyond stupid.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Dyson gone
Thinking Detroit will make some move for him. There are a lot of teams struggling to find a closer and may just take a roll of the dice with Sam.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That first slider did not slide.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2