• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Ruling on Hitting a QB during an option play

Jedster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is crying foul......what's everyone's opinion......mine is, when the QB is running the ball on an option play, he basically becomes a running back.....

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh heard the message Matthews gave over the radio the other day and was not happy with what he said. Harbaugh then goes to get more specific information on the NFL rules on hitting the QB on the option play. The NFL told him the rules and he is still not happy. He says it is a flawed rule. This was off the NFL home page.

I hope Matthews is able to hit the 49er QB hard over on the sidelines right in front of Harbaugh

Jim Harbaugh: NFL's read-option rules flawed, biased - NFL.com

Jim Harbaugh: NFL's read-option rules flawed, biased

Jim Harbaugh didn't like Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews' "tough talk" about hitting read-option quarterbacks, so he contacted the NFL earlier this week.
The San Francisco 49ers coach said Friday he didn't care for the answers he got.

"I think it's flawed and a bit biased," Harbaugh said of the league's response to his concerns about quarterback hits.

Harbaugh then went on an approximately 5-minute monologue and discussion with reporters about the rule, which included him [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]376095167050031104[/MEDIA]"]miming options[/ame] for how QBs might have to show they don't have the ball.
"I'm not advocating that they don't hit the quarterback if he has the ball, but if he's in the pocket I believe there should be a strike zone." Harbaugh said. "Same strike zone that is given to the quarterback when he's in the pocket and throwing the ball. I feel like you give a license now to players to hit quarterbacks at the knee or in the head."

Harbaugh explained that he was concerned that defenders would hit quarterbacks in the knee or head with an excuse that they couldn't tell if the QB had the ball and could be considered a running back.

"By definition, a fake is a deception," Harbaugh said, continuing to voice his concern. "It is a deception, deceptive maneuver....Now are they opened up to being hit in the head and the knees, treated like a running back?...It seems like they would have more of an appetite to look at that, and they've said they don't have an appetite to look at it any further."

The strong ending suggests Harbaugh isn't going to let the issue fade away.

He did tell reporters his game plan wouldn't change or affect how he uses quarterback Colin Kaepernick. At the very least Harbaugh has ensured refs will be keeping a close eye on all the hits Kaepernick takes Sunday against the Packers

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a new rule. RG3 was complaining last year that people were hitting him when he didn't have the ball. The NFL said to stop pretending you have it so he started putting his hands in the air after handing it off. It's dumb to argue that it should be a penalty to hit a QB that's pretending the have the ball. That would be like penalizing someone for tackling a RB on a play action fake.

It's complete stupidity to say the rules are "flawed and biased" because there aren't special rules for a QB who pretends he's got the ball. That would be biased.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good coach, he's trying to protect his players. But at the same time, the only people that I can't stand more than him are that fucking yahoo in Detroit and Pete Carroll and his gum. They're so vocal about and dramatic during every game, and whine more than anybody I've ever seen in the NFL. They'll be telling one guy to grow up on day and the next whining because they're team got caught doing the exact same thing.

Whine and scream, whine and scream, they act like 2 year olds.

Jedster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand corrected....it is not a new rule, but the way it is being portrayed in the press is that it is something new. I am sorry, when the QB has the ball or pretends he has the ball, he is the same as a running back and subject to the same rules. If you don't want to get hit.....slide.

MajorPackersFan

Boycott CBS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand corrected....it is not a new rule, but the way it is being portrayed in the press is that it is something new. I am sorry, when the QB has the ball or pretends he has the ball, he is the same as a running back and subject to the same rules. If you don't want to get hit.....slide.

No big deal Jedster. I just learned about a year ago that the "tuck rule" was in place about two years before teh AFC Championship game between the Patriots and Raiders. We aren't supposed to know everything. Although, being Packers fans, we do tend to know more than most! :suds:

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick put it best....

"If intimidation is your game plan, I hope you have a better one,"

Pushn40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick put it best....

"If intimidation is your game plan, I hope you have a better one,"

Says the idiot who was taunting our linebackers. Kaperbitch should just shut his mouth and let his play do the talking. He's a very talented QB, but he's almost as bad as his loudmouth, whiney ass coach.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the idiot who was taunting our linebackers. Kaperbitch should just shut his mouth and let his play do the talking. He's a very talented QB, but he's almost as bad as his loudmouth, whiney ass coach.

Taking the loss bad?

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason to take the loss bad. We had the ball with a chance to win the game. We should have had a chance to kick a FG for the win but either way we took the defending NFC champs to the end of the game in their house on the opening week of the season. I like our chances as we move forward and our younger guys get a little more experience and our secondary gets healthy.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was taunting your linebackers?

cmon man.

aronnov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to act like you may have the ball I say knock the crap out of them until they quit.