• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New College Sports Site

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I used to listen to Rivals Radio with the legendary Bill King pretty religiously up until about 2 weeks ago. As most of you probably know Yahoo bought Rivals a while back and those who listened to Bill could tell he was fed up with the "suits" at Rivals. Well this week he started with a new company (owners previously built up Rivals to what it was until they sold it) and the name is 247 Sports. So I checked the site out (literally under development as I type) and it appears it may be a great source for obtaining recruit information. The Virginia Tech board is not up yet but you can tell with the others they have done it should be a pretty good source of information for us every now and then.

247Sports Football Recruiting Information and Message Boards

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So I used to listen to Rivals Radio with the legendary Bill King pretty religiously up until about 2 weeks ago. As most of you probably know Yahoo bought Rivals a while back and those who listened to Bill could tell he was fed up with the "suits" at Rivals. Well this week he started with a new company (owners previously built up Rivals to what it was until they sold it) and the name is 247 Sports. So I checked the site out (literally under development as I type) and it appears it may be a great source for obtaining recruit information. The Virginia Tech board is not up yet but you can tell with the others they have done it should be a pretty good source of information for us every now and then.

Yeah it appears to be a work in progress, but thanks, I'm bored at work right now.

I wonder if 24/7 (SportsHoopla poster) is aware of this development.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
yeah there are some 247 vids on youtube (i assume its the same) btw i heard that who-va's rivals guy is now with 247.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's probably why their board is up before ours I guess.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is going to be a good site. I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago on cnnsi.com. Virginia's page looks very good with target list and everything. Wonder how long before you have to pay just like everything else? Good find!

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
247 has been around a little bit. It has some nice features, but is still a work in progress. If VT launches a site and has a good site adm. like UVA has with Oakes then it may be worthwhile, but Rivals and TSL are good for right now.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I hear you. But I also understand 247 is going to take it to the next step and offer more for their users. Don't forget the current owners of 247 built Rivals to what it is now. Eventually after they build 247 it may cost some money but for now it is free and from what I understand, they will have most team boards done within the next week or so.

I liken the Yahoo / Rivals relationship to Blockbuster trying to buy Circuit City a couple of years ago (before CC went under). One company with an crappy business model seeking to buy another company with an ancient business model doesn't change the fact that if they merge - the business model, executives and most likely the company will be crappy.

Lastly, Rivals and TSL do not have a radio announcer like Bill King on Sirrius / XM. If you haven't listened to him yet no need to get XM radio, he should have podcasts setup on iTunes by tomorrow or early next week. He is the real deal and he left Rivals because Yahoo blows.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Like I said, 247sports is nice, but unless they have a someone great running the site like Brian Mohr at Rivals or Coleman and Stewart at TSL, then there is little reason for a VT site. Bill King is great and all, but I care about VT content and if that is severely lacking, then I'll probably be pessimistic about the possibility of another good VT site. The UVA site has taken off because Oakes there is very good and was a main reason for people liking the UVA Rivals site. 247sports may be good for some info on top prospects, but not necessarily on VT kids.

So we'll see, but 247sports has been around for a bit now and has slowly progressed, mainly because Rivals is doing so well. I've been paying attention to the site for a year now and very little change has occurred. More publicity is good for it, but I'm going to continue to wait and see...

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we have to agree to disagree. No harm in that!