• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Nebraska vs. Florida Atlantic -- Game 1

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually first opening game that is not bad at all. Emotion will cause penalties but you got to get them settled down. Looks like they did and emotion with discipline can be a sunnuvabich.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best opening game performance of any of the Bo coached teams. Started with a few penalties, but instead of snowballing it was nipped in the bud. Defense was slow to start, but once the Owls showed their cards they were practically lights out.

NO TURNOVERS!! (Almost, but it don't count if it ain't caught.)

Lots of drops.

Someone should maybe take a look at punt returns and see if it can be improved........

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back from the game.

I will just say this, seeing Tommy in person today compared to seeing him last season is a completely different deal. Think we finally have a QB who can be completely effective for this Offense.

It's going to be fun seeing him hook up with Westerkamp this season.....cuz it's going to happen a lot.

That threat through the air makes our running game even more dangerous.

Shit our Offense was rolling today.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the same as it was with Taylor in there, where you're expecting a 70 yard run for a TD on every play.......but it's better because now we don't have that distraction. We have a guy who can bust a 10-15 yard run, and he knows who his targets are.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska just might lead the nation in rushing after one game. 498 is going to be tough to beat.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My take... Our offensive display was because of a combination of our offense is very good and FAU's defense isn't good. Defensively Nebraska is better and they seem to swarm to the ball better than last year. I hope Gregory comes back, but if he 100%, he should rest the next two weeks, especially considering what USC did to Fresno, Nebraska should be able to handle them fairly easily even at their place, if we are legit. I would like to add that Fresno still can't be overlooked.

On special teams, hopefully at some point there will be some blocking this year for our kick returners.

I will say that TA scares me with his passing and as long as the running game is working, for the most part, just keep handing the ball off to mainly Ameer and then the rest of our backs, with a few play action types of passes sprinkled in to keep the defenses honest. All in all, I think it was a really good way to start the season and I can't wait until some better competition comes along to see where Nebraska stands.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you said for once, Exorb.

Since Beck has been here we have never been good at making throws out to the sideline.

Vertical passes, on the other hand, Tommy throws very well and it could come in extremely handy with Kenny's speed as this season goes along.

I like Westerkamp on slants. The outs to the sideline still make my butthole pucker up...whether it's Tommy or Taylor or whoever.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy throws vertical passes with great accuracy and puts air under the ball beautifully. It's definitely his natural strength.

That was one thing Taylor couldn't do for shit.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those out patterns, what it all comes down to is timing and route running.

The throw can be right on the money, but if the play develops to slowly or the WR runs a route that doesn't separate himself from the DB, it's got pick 6 written all over it.

We just don't run those well under Beck.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that rope Tommy threw to Westerkamp right down the middle of the field just over the LBers head was a thing of beauty

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Those out patterns, what it all comes down to is timing and route running.

The throw can be right on the money, but if the play develops to slowly or the WR runs a route that doesn't separate himself from the DB, it's got pick 6 written all over it.

We just don't run those well under Beck.

Boy I'll say, but maybe down the road TA and crew can get on the same page and have that as an extra weapon.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
that rope Tommy threw to Westerkamp right down the middle of the field just over the LBers head was a thing of beauty

That was awesome for sure, but TA isn't accurate enough to make a living out of those types of passes.

I hope our running game can be a very large part of the offense, that coupled with minimal passing and turnovers plus a little bit of defense, and we'll continue to see excellent results barring a lot of injuries.

TA threw 29 passes. I think 15 to 20 passes tops every game should be what's strived for unless we come up against a team that is stuffing the run game, and to be honest, I don't see that happening.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think he is very accurate on those vertical passes. I think he's accurate overall, but it's the timing aspect that he struggles with on out patterns.

The vertical passes all he has to do is lay it in there, and he has exceptional touch when making those passes. There was one long pass down the middle that Kenny should have caught earlier in the game.

The second one to Kenny was obviously beautiful as well. He hung on to that one.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely about the verticals. He has an arm and he drops them in. You don't see the receivers having to slow down and back up to receive the ball.
The out patterns, I think he's still young. He threw a couple that should not have been thrown, luckily it seems he has enough on them that they were hard for FAU to catch. I think he may be zeroing in on the receiver and not seeing where the defender is.

\/ \/ \/ I'm sure his quarterback coach will get this fixed by conference play.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely about the verticals. He has an arm and he drops them in. You don't see the receivers having to slow down and back up to receive the ball.
The out patterns, I think he's still young. He threw a couple that should not have been thrown, luckily it seems he has enough on them that they were hard for FAU to catch. I think he may be zeroing in on the receiver and not seeing where the defender is.

\/ \/ \/ I'm sure his quarterback coach will get this fixed by conference play.

That.

Even the long ones that weren't complete were just inches off. He was putting them where there will be a lot of success if the receiver beats their man.