• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ND vs Rice Pregame Thread:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season is here. I can't wait for next Sat. Lets Go Irish.

What Im looking at the most is how will this defense hold up and to see if Kelly can finally run his offense. Also interesting to see how ND plays on the new field.

Player Watch:
QB- Golson
RB's- Bryant and Folston
WR's- Robinson and CJ Prosise
TE- Koyack
LB- J. Smith
DE-Trumbetti(can't wait to see him play)

Prediction: ND 31 Rice 13

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more week

God damnit, I can't wait

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go 38-13

I expect this offense to be the best of the Kelly era up to this point.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly's out of excuses on offense. He's got an experienced quarterback that can run his system. We'll see what the front seven can do on defense. Pray they stay healthy, especially with the suspensions that may be coming.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had ND 38 - Rice 14 and I'm sticking with it. I'm still cautiously optomistic regarding the upcoming season.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting... ya'll think Rice will only score twice or perhaps thrice albeit only one TD and a couple FGs.

I don't know a lot about this Rice team but they appear to have back their QB, RB and main WR from last year that put up decent #s in the C-USA. Interesting that they managed to score 31 against A&M in the first game last year but of course gave up 52. However looking at their schedule from last year they weren't held below 21 very often regardless of the 'class' of defenses they were facing on the opposite side.

Given that our D would seem to be the less-polished over the offense, I'd expect Rice to get some scores on us but we really shouldn't have much of a problem scoring ourselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see our D shut 'em down and all that good stuff but with a New D-Coordinator and being the first game, I expect some sloppiness and some mistakes, but I am really curious to see how the new aggressive mindset plays in our favor (or not).

44-27 Irish

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting... ya'll think Rice will only score twice or perhaps thrice albeit only one TD and a couple FGs.

I don't know a lot about this Rice team but they appear to have back their QB, RB and main WR from last year that put up decent #s in the C-USA. Interesting that they managed to score 31 against A&M in the first game last year but of course gave up 52. However looking at their schedule from last year they weren't held below 21 very often regardless of the 'class' of defenses they were facing on the opposite side.

Given that our D would seem to be the less-polished over the offense, I'd expect Rice to get some scores on us but we really shouldn't have much of a problem scoring ourselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see our D shut 'em down and all that good stuff but with a New D-Coordinator and being the first game, I expect some sloppiness and some mistakes, but I am really curious to see how the new aggressive mindset plays in our favor (or not).

44-27 Irish

A&M's defense was pure garbage last year. I'll take our team's question marks over that any day. Also, they were opportunistic in the first half when Johnny Clipboard and a bunch of starters were benched for the first half. That said, it's a fair point and there will probably be more growing pains than most are letting on. I think offensively. We should have our way because all of their really solid defensive players graduated I believe. I hope Van Gorder's attacking defense doesn't look like Tenuta's. I also believe if it was Diaco's milquetoast defense, we'd have a too close for comfort game that will leave us feeling uneasy. I'd like to see Zaire get the ball in the 4th quarter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also its the 1st game of the year I think both teams start out slow and then ND will start moving the ball. I cant wait for sat.

Lets Go Irish

OmahaIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see 41 to 24. A game in the first half. Take more control in the 2nd and just hold them to a fg.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see ND come out and just kill it right away and make this a blow out game.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame coasts to victory. 38 to 20. Cole Luke fills in for Russell nicely and Golson looks like the quarterback we hoped for.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purguy are you going to panic if we are only up 7-3 after 1 quarter?

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A&M's defense was pure garbage last year. I'll take our team's question marks over that any day. Also, they were opportunistic in the first half when Johnny Clipboard and a bunch of starters were benched for the first half. That said, it's a fair point and there will probably be more growing pains than most are letting on. I think offensively. We should have our way because all of their really solid defensive players graduated I believe. I hope Van Gorder's attacking defense doesn't look like Tenuta's. I also believe if it was Diaco's milquetoast defense, we'd have a too close for comfort game that will leave us feeling uneasy. I'd like to see Zaire get the ball in the 4th quarter.

For sure, A&Ms D was bad, I'm curious how much better ours is and yes Johnny Clipboard did sit that first 1/2 thanks for reminding me... ;) I perhaps didn't explain that the best; Rice scored decently well in each game except for the Bowl game and they scored first then just I guess thought the game was over and got trounced there-after. I figure that to be a lingering point for their team so I'd love to see us put them in a deep hole early but we'll see how that goes. :p

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back Knute, haven't seen you in awhile

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, A&Ms D was bad, I'm curious how much better ours is and yes Johnny Clipboard did sit that first 1/2 thanks for reminding me... ;) I perhaps didn't explain that the best; Rice scored decently well in each game except for the Bowl game and they scored first then just I guess thought the game was over and got trounced there-after. I figure that to be a lingering point for their team so I'd love to see us put them in a deep hole early but we'll see how that goes. :p

It was also another 4-5 players, mostly on defense too. But again, this team is a huge question mark. I feel like I did before 1993 and 2012, ambivalent and resigned to a so-so season due to holes and inexperience and the schedule being what it is. In both years, I was pleasantly surprised. It could also be like 2011 which was a talented group that wildly underachieved or worse 2009, a very talented group that played .500 ball. The two bell weathers for me will be, how well do they handle an opponent like Rice (if it's close or has a Temple, San Diego St. feel, watch out) and beating Michigan. If those two things happen, we usually go on to have a great year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reason for this to be a close game. I want to see a TD on the first drive by ND. I want to see if Golson got better.