• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ND vs Texas Post Game Thread:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of MZ negs here. My take ...

UT knew Kelly was gonna rotate the 2. He declared in a the Wed/Thurs presser here on local radio his intention to use Kizer between the 20s and insert MZ in red-zone offense due to his more dynamic running/play making ability. Makes sense, right?

So, why didn't Kelly do what he said his 'intentions' were? Was it a ploy to throw Texas off? :noidea:

What I do know is that when MZ was in the game, UT was stacking the box just anticipating the run and, most likely, had a spy on #8. It was obvious what Texas' D-scheme was to stop MZ from getting loose. I wish BK, when he had Malik in there, woulda thrown up some passes to catch UT off guard. Zaire can throw the ball with accuracy, but didn't seem like Kelly gave him much of a chance with the pass calls. It was pretty much telegraphed run when he was in there.

^ This. TX said in the post-game presser that was their game plan to challenge Malik to beat them with his arm. Which, after last year didn't make much sense because he beat them pretty good. Perhaps it was the lack of experience with the WR's. Otherwise, Kelly really never gave him the chance to.

My take in getting on Kelly is that is simply hindsight. Kizer made better checkdowns and was able to exploit the running game better. But if Kizer and Zaire were really two of the top five playmakers in fall camp, I didn't have a problem with giving them each an audition, especially since Kelly promised his players that. You can't walk that back without damaging the players' trust. Even if one operates udner the assumption that we would have scored on at least one of the MZ possessions if Kizer were in there, we still scored enough to win. The defense, and BK's playcalling at the critical moments, and Special Teams mis-cues at the wrong moment were what cost this game.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my take is that if kizer is the stater all the way it keeps the defense off the field as much ... which is GOOD for the defense! zaire's 3 and out's directly (well, as directly as anything else) cost the team this game. we'd probably score more and texas scores less.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negatives: 1- poor officiating, 2- poor tackling, 3-secondary is lost again, 4-no pass rush, 5-Malik shouldn't have played a single snap second half, 6- poor 3rd down play selection at end of the game, 7- Inability for the defense to recognize that Swoopes is going to keep the ball and run. Everyone and their mother knew this. 8-poor punting, 9- Tight end wasn't there.

Positives- Not many. Offense line was pretty good (Kizer got time), Adams is ND's best running back and played great, Kizer might be a Heisman contender, wide receiver is solid. St. Brown is the new star.

It is going to be a long year if the defense can't improve. Man, I would think they can only get better but who the hell knows

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has there been any mention of the horrible non-call against hunter? some formal protest?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has there been any mention of the horrible non-call against hunter? some formal protest?
Well the ACC crew said it was a bad call. Still waiting on the Big 12 crew to explain.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negatives: 1- poor officiating, 2- poor tackling, 3-secondary is lost again, 4-no pass rush, 5-Malik shouldn't have played a single snap second half, 6- poor 3rd down play selection at end of the game, 7- Inability for the defense to recognize that Swoopes is going to keep the ball and run. Everyone and their mother knew this. 8-poor punting, 9- Tight end wasn't there.

Positives- Not many. Offense line was pretty good (Kizer got time), Adams is ND's best running back and played great, Kizer might be a Heisman contender, wide receiver is solid. St. Brown is the new star.

It is going to be a long year if the defense can't improve. Man, I would think they can only get better but who the hell knows
One name I want to throw out there on D that played good was Luke. After that TD he was in shut down mode. I also want to apologize and say Rochell did play ok. Yes he missed 5 tackles but was the only one pushing the OL backwards. Also Sanders is going to be a good player for us. Needs more touches.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand BK kept his word, but man....after you march down the field in a loud stadium and you score a TD, that is not the time to switch QB's. He should have stuck with Kizer and brought in Zaire to mix things up on the fly. The fact Texas knew they were going to be going every other series was a great way for Texas to game plan. They had all summer to plan for these two QB's, not one week. I would have like to seen both on the filed. That pass back to Kizer might have been completed if MZ was tossing it.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Kelly isn't ready to throw Van Gorder out the door just yet because it is the first game of the season. The issue I have with this is simple. It isn't the first game of this it's the start of a 3rd season, this defense is showing all the tell take signs of previous Van Gorder defenses and that won't be good enough. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see them improving until Van Gorder isn't employed with Notre Dame anymore.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Kelly isn't ready to throw Van Gorder out the door just yet because it is the first game of the season. The issue I have with this is simple. It isn't the first game of this it's the start of a 3rd season, this defense is showing all the tell take signs of previous Van Gorder defenses and that won't be good enough. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see them improving until Van Gorder isn't employed with Notre Dame anymore.
Yes this is my issue with Kelly right now. i hate that he said its just the 1st game and if this was game 9 or 10 then yes maybe I would answer these questions. No kelly this is game 25 under VG. Yes we have some young guys in there but most have been in this system already. VG sucks. This isnt game 1. Get a Clue.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes this is my issue with Kelly right now. i hate that he said its just the 1st game and if this was game 9 or 10 then yes maybe I would answer these questions. No kelly this is game 25 under VG. Yes we have some young guys in there but most have been in this system already. VG sucks. This isnt game 1. Get a Clue.
Did you hear how dismissive he was of the reporter that asked him about the results from last year carrying over to this year?

Last year was last year he said, basically cutting off the question. Sorry Brian, there has been zero improvement. This team looks just as bad and, it gives up too many points, too many big plays, and too many sustained drives for 2 + seasons now. That he can't accept that is frightening.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear how dismissive he was of the reporter that asked him about the results from last year carrying over to this year?

Last year was last year he said, basically cutting off the question. Sorry Brian, there has been zero improvement. This team looks just as bad and, it gives up too many points, too many big plays, and too many sustained drives for 2 + seasons now. That he can't accept that is frightening.
Look if this D got beat once in awhile but we were getting the sacks or turnovers I would be able to live with it but were not getting any of those. We are just getting beat and letting up points.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B12 trying to save face but sorry b12 everyone in the world including the NCAA has said it was targeting and u missed the call. Not having the replay is what killed this call.

Personally I think they had a very good reason to not do the replay, Texas has been a down Big 12 powerhouse and a win against Notre Dame is just what they needed.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who was the complete fool in the game thread who kept saying they never touched helmuts, that it was only his shoulder?
Most of the TX contingent. The refrain I kept hearing was "no helmet to helmet." Which is utterly irrelevant.

Hardy Brown made a career in the NFL knocking guys out by targeting their heads. With his shoulder.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so it seems like that 3 and 12 play where we ran it was Kizer who made a switch to run. Kelly mentions a big down late in game where we had a pass on and in that moment is a passing situation Kizer switched out to a run.

I thought that was very interesting.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so it seems like that 3 and 12 play where we ran it was Kizer who made a switch to run. Kelly mentions a big down late in game where we had a pass on and in that moment is a passing situation Kizer switched out to a run.

I thought that was very interesting.

Jesus, he just loves to throw his players under the bus....so sick of that. He takes no blame for anything. His game plans work, but the players messed it up....Come on BK, take one for the team man...He will defend his shitty DC though...

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, he just loves to throw his players under the bus....so sick of that. He takes no blame for anything. His game plans work, but the players messed it up....Come on BK, take one for the team man...He will defend his shitty DC though...
I agree but in the rest of statement he really talked up Kizer, hence naming him the starter. He was just pointing out some things Kixer still needs to learn but also said how much better he is this year then last year.